Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New SUUNTO Vertical
Quote | Reply
I saw this early today…got busy and figured I would see what everyone had to say about this. I’m surprised to get on here and not see any news/post about it.

I’m always looking for a reason to replace my 945…and ditch garmin. I might have to think about this one.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ical-gps-review.html

https://www.suunto.com/...itanium-solar-black/
Last edited by: zooropa: May 9, 23 18:35
Quote Reply
Re: New SUUNTO Vertical [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zooropa wrote:
I saw this early today…got busy and figured I would see what everyone had to say about this. I’m surprised to get on here and not see any news/post about it.

I’m always looking for a reason to replace my 945…and ditch garmin. I might have to think about this one.

Looks good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the process of selling a Suunto that's no good for Swim, bike, run am I better sticking with Suunto or Garmin?

Not good with complicated technology.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suprised as wel of lack of discussion. Definitely the best suunto wach to date…

—
Last edited by: JanneK: May 10, 23 12:31
Quote Reply
Re: New SUUNTO Vertical [JanneK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's to discuss, does it do anything new or exciting? Does it even have contactless payment?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Suunto 9 Peak was (is) very nice. I have not used this one, but everything I read seems like Suunto really filled in all the gaps at the premium watch position.

Functionally and cosmetically, it checks nearly every box. And they bumped up the screen size to 1.4" to match the size of Garmin's 965. For readability, that is very nice. The only thing it lacks relative to Garmin is all the analytics. For me, its only weakness might be solar, if the collector is over the entire face like the Garmins. That increases glare and reduces contrast slightly. And, if you like the Hammerhead bike computer, Suunto & Hammerhead have native back-end integration, so you get the multisport ecosystem.
Quote Reply
Re: New SUUNTO Vertical [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:
What's to discuss, does it do anything new or exciting? Does it even have contactless payment?

I can honestly say I have never been training or racing and thought if only this watch would have contactless payment…

It doesn’t do anything excitingly new…but I don’t believe garmin has done anything to make me want to buy anything they’ve done since the 945. And the 945 usable screen is too small for my liking…I feel like garmin has taking the endurance sports world for granted…maybe the market isn’t large enough in their minds…but they’ve surely lost market share the last 2-3 years…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zooropa wrote:
lastlap wrote:

I can honestly say I have never been training or racing and thought if only this watch would have contactless payment…

It doesn’t do anything excitingly new…but I don’t believe garmin has done anything to make me want to buy anything they’ve done since the 945. And the 945 usable screen is too small for my liking…I feel like garmin has taking the endurance sports world for granted…maybe the market isn’t large enough in their minds…but they’ve surely lost market share the last 2-3 years…

So it has less features than the current Garmin equivalent and we are supposed to be excited? How about music, does it have that? Not a Garmin fan boy but sheesh companies need to provide a point of differentiation if they want to win customers.

As for contactless-its great to be able to grab a Gatorade, coffee, snack etc while training, particularly if running or swimming at times where you might not have your phone handy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:
zooropa wrote:
lastlap wrote:

So it has less features than the current Garmin equivalent and we are supposed to be excited? How about music, does it have that? Not a Garmin fan boy but sheesh companies need to provide a point of differentiation if they want to win customers.

As for contactless-its great to be able to grab a Gatorade, coffee, snack etc while training, particularly if running or swimming at times where you might not have your phone handy.

Gatorade???

You jest! I get it now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zooropa wrote:
lastlap wrote:
zooropa wrote:
lastlap wrote:

Gatorade???

You jest! I get it now

Gatorade, Powerade, coke, beer, whisky, milkshake...what ever I feel like actually.

I'll leave you to drinking out of the neighbors hose...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'll leave you to drinking out of the neighbors hose...[/quote]

I’m confused…why wouldn’t I just use my own hose over the neighbors?

Or better yet…should I wait for a new watch that can make/mix the nutrition for me so I can go train?
Last edited by: zooropa: May 10, 23 17:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replying to no one in particular.

This latest Suunto watch is dead on arrival. The hardware is elegant enough (except for the MIPS - or whatever - screen tech) but the software/features (both on-watch and mobile app) is still significantly behind the leaders at the stated price points. A hard sell @ $650/$850 USD. Jeezus - I can buy a factory refurb Garmin Fenix 6/7 or Apple Watch Ultra for less than this on eBay.

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: New SUUNTO Vertical [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tinman wrote:
Replying to no one in particular.

This latest Suunto watch is dead on arrival. The hardware is elegant enough (except for the MIPS - or whatever - screen tech) but the software/features (both on-watch and mobile app) is still significantly behind the leaders at the stated price points. A hard sell @ $650/$850 USD. Jeezus - I can buy a factory refurb Garmin Fenix 6/7 or Apple Watch Ultra for less than this on eBay.

Suunto is not losing sales of this watch to anyone who would rather buy a refurbished piece…and although the Apple ultra is a start in the right direction…it’s still more about apps than it is for training/racing endurance sports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:

...and will it have the endless badly managed software changes (I'll not call them updates as that suggests improvement) to break features that previously worked like Garmin - the market leader for balling up software ?

If this one works for S, B and R, I could be tempted.
(Not arsed about all the peripheral shiiite like music, payments and the cricket scores on my watch. I have a phone, tablet, laptop, and pieces of plastic for those).
Quote Reply
Re: New SUUNTO Vertical [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never had any issues with my Garmin watches? Wouldnt touch their pedals or bike computers if you paid me.

Agree though that a new sports watch these days at least needs to match the competition for features-contactless is particularly useful. Couldn't care less about music.

Why would I be swayed to Sunto? Genuine question as I've no experience with them, never even seen one in the flesh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zooropa wrote:

The issue with this watch for a triathlete or open water swimmer is the open water swimming accuracy - as in there is none. When that is fixed it would be a worthwhile investment. Until then garmin or coros and all the shortcomings those offerings have.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply