Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2023 IM Arizona & Florida for 2024 World Championship slots?
Quote | Reply
Has there been any information as to how they'll do they slots for these 2 races OR even just when they'll announce how many slots there are for the 2024 championship races?
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM Arizona & Florida for 2024 World Championship slots? [pacco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Presumably, they have this information already if they know

1 - How many men's slots are deferred to 2024 in Kona
2 - (therefore) How many slots remain
3 - (and) How many races roll up to 2024 Champs

That would seem to be a straightforward allocation exercise after that...

I'm already in for Arizona, but I wouldn't mind knowing if there are 25 or 50 (or however many) men's slots. I haven't seen anything on the interwebs about it yet. My working assumption is that there are similar number of men's slots vs pre-pandemic - given that its a men's only race, but a number of slots will have been taken up by deferrals from 2022 Sept-Dec qualifiers.
Last edited by: timbasile: Apr 28, 23 7:30
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM Arizona & Florida for 2024 World Championship slots? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also racing IMAZ this year and I think the number of slots will be comparable to years past.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM Arizona & Florida for 2024 World Championship slots? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's my assumption as well, being a "normal" number of slots at both races. I'm also assuming these races will be extremely competitive on the men's side of things. I'll also be curious to see how many top guys that are already qualified for 2024 show up and effect the roll downs.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM Arizona & Florida for 2024 World Championship slots? [pacco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m going to guess there will be more slots than usual given that it looks like there will only be two North American full Ironman races in 2024 that will qualify for that year’s WC (Texas and Lake Placid) given that there will be no Tulsa or Coeur d’Alene…
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM Arizona & Florida for 2024 World Championship slots? [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sfjab wrote:
I’m going to guess there will be more slots than usual given that it looks like there will only be two North American full Ironman races in 2024 that will qualify for that year’s WC (Texas and Lake Placid) given that there will be no Tulsa or Coeur d’Alene…

Could be wrong...but IM STG 2024 is happening and I'd assume qualify for Kona/Nice 2024. I deferred my 2023 CdA race and 2024 STG (full) was offered as an option, but the date is not set when I last checked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m guessing 30 slots.

In the last cycle ahead of a one-day Kona, it was 40 slots.

There will be more races providing slots than in that period, because the Fall 2022 WC slot recipients largely will opt for Kona 24 over Nice 23.

So 40 is reduced to 30, but that will still make it easier than it was for men in the past, when women would have taken something like 15 of the 40 slots.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM Arizona & Florida for 2024 World Championship slots? [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
sfjab wrote:

Could be wrong...but IM STG 2024 is happening and I'd assume qualify for Kona/Nice 2024. I deferred my 2023 CdA race and 2024 STG (full) was offered as an option, but the date is not set when I last checked.

Any chance StG will be the ‘NA championship’ with related added Kona slots, or it’s a given that’ll be TX?

Editing to add my own answer, which is that IMTX website says it’ll be the championship.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Last edited by: ericlambi: Apr 29, 23 8:49
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM Arizona & Florida for 2024 World Championship slots? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Presumably, they have this information already if they know

1 - How many men's slots are deferred to 2024 in Kona
2 - (therefore) How many slots remain
3 - (and) How many races roll up to 2024 Champs

That would seem to be a straightforward allocation exercise after that...

I'm already in for Arizona, but I wouldn't mind knowing if there are 25 or 50 (or however many) men's slots. I haven't seen anything on the interwebs about it yet. My working assumption is that there are similar number of men's slots vs pre-pandemic - given that its a men's only race, but a number of slots will have been taken up by deferrals from 2022 Sept-Dec qualifiers.

This got me thinking... just doing a wild, back of the envelope guesstimate:

September - Dec Ironman Races across world:

US/North America

7: Wisconsin, Maryland, Chattanooga, California, Florida, Arizona, Cozumel

Assume 40 slots per race, half men. Assume 75% deferred: 105

Europe/Middle East:

6: Wales, Gurye, Italy, Barcelona, Portugal, Israel

Assume 40 slots per race, half men. Assume - probably at most - 25% deferred: 30

Asia:

3: Malaysia, Phillipines, W. Australia

Assume 40 slots per race, half men. Assume 75% deferred: 45

That's 180.

And then I would say 5% of those fall out, don't register, or whatever. So knock out 10.

So would we really be looking at 170 guys that have deferred to 2024? I have no idea, I could be way off or missing something.

So to fill up the pier (and maximize revenue) of 2500...of just men...

Wouldn't 2024 qualifying races - Fall 2023 and early 2024... have a lot more slots to offer?

Again, I could be missing something here.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM Arizona & Florida for 2024 World Championship slots? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
AKCrafty wrote:
sfjab wrote:

Any chance StG will be the ‘NA championship’ with related added Kona slots, or it’s a given that’ll be TX?

Editing to add my own answer, which is that IMTX website says it’ll be the championship.

Also StG full next year isn’t happening. Someone who works for ironman said as much in the StG fb group
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM Arizona & Florida for 2024 World Championship slots? [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will St. George be a 70.3 next May (2024)?
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM Arizona & Florida for 2024 World Championship slots? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Will St. George be a 70.3 next May (2024)?

That’s the impression I got from the thread on Facebook but no direct quote from the Ironman employee to back it up
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM Arizona & Florida for 2024 World Championship slots? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have gotten word St.George will be and ironman for sure in 2024.

The Number of slots for kona 2024 pre race will be very low from August 2023- July of 2024.

Right now the only US/ Canada races that we know have slots are.

IMMT - 10
IMC - 0 right now.

Lots of slots are already gone from 2022 athletes moving them and people that had slots pre 2022 could choose 2022 or 2023 so I imagine some did choose 2023 ( which can now move to 2024) for age group purposes or just travel etc.

I have asked which races will have a full slot of Kona spots and didn't hear back.

you would assume
Texas
Utah
Lake Placid
CDL will go back to 70.3 so they would not.

It would be nice to get info faster about the next season to help book vacation times and plan what will work best but Covid made kona and Worlds a shit show. Just F"ed it all up.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM Arizona & Florida for 2024 World Championship slots? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
I have gotten word St.George will be and ironman for sure in 2024.

What’s your source for this information? I don’t disagree there will be an Ironman there but it sounds to me it will be a 70.3
Last edited by: Tribike53: Apr 30, 23 10:51
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM Arizona & Florida for 2024 World Championship slots? [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Direct from Ironman St.Geroge in email when I asked will 2024 be a full ironman event " YES".

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
…end of May, european athletes like me trying to make a race schedule, personally I will make decisions based on Kona slots for 2024. Time is running out due to availabilities of flights, but IM is still sleeping, no announcements, it is a mess…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was one of the reasons I took the Nice slot when it was offered. I was signed up for Chattanooga and less than 6 months out there was no word about 2024 slots. It should be an easy exercise to announce, but I was tired of being strung along by Ironman and decided to take the option of an Ironman race I haven't done 2 weeks earlier in the year on a beautiful course and a Europe vacation vs not knowing what I'd have to do besides win my AG to qualify.
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM Arizona & Florida for 2024 World Championship slots? [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i qualified in july 21 and was given a choice of 2022, 23, 24. I chose 23, which I then deferred again to 24. So your numbers may be off.

(PS they offered me a nice slot just in case at some point, even though I had turned it down and deferred to kona)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Guys, any new info available?

For european guys like me time is running out for getting everything done (flights, accomodation…) for both Fl and AZ.

maybe IM is still sleeping or busy with killing their own business?

cheers and thx, L
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM Arizona & Florida for 2024 World Championship slots? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re IMC having zero kona slots right now. The website says there will be but ironman has not responded to request of confirmation. Race is in 8 weeks.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM Arizona & Florida for 2024 World Championship slots? [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup I know, IMC responded to me said they do not know it is a Ironman head office issue ask them. I am pretty sure they just put that on every event page.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a lot of people will be pretty pissed off if no Kona slots are available. Male pros included!

Ironman couldn’t have fucked this up anymore than they have. I think after 2 rotations of this idea they will go back to coed Kona race but by then I think PTO and Roth will pass them by.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: 2023 IM Arizona & Florida for 2024 World Championship slots? [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HAHA. you have been saying that for over 10 years and PTO just cancelled the Collins cup and that make no revenue. Roth is only Roth because of the people of Roth and community not challenge as a brand.

In your own back yard you saw the power of Ironman vs challenge from 2012-2015.

I know you hate them and that is that but maybe be right for once.

Are you sure there are no pro slots at IMC for kona 2024???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
replying to the thread to answer a few questions discussed here

1) I am signed up for florida '23. I emailed ironman florida to ask how many slots there will be at this race. They said "Slot allocation will be announced closer to the race. I apologize for the inconvenience at this time". I emailed back when will they know, they responded saying "it's been typically 3 months out but it could be even closer to the race."

2) I also wanted to race the full in St George 2024 but when I started hearing rumors it would only be a 70.3 I called Ironman at the number provided on the website. I spoke directly to an employee of ironman st george. They said 2024 will be a 70.3, I then asked if it would ever be a full again and they said they had no idea or plans beyond 2024's 70.3 at the moment and could not make any promises for 2025 or beyond.
Last edited by: Tribike53: Jun 30, 23 11:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s a pro race for men so we assume there are Kona slots. But as we are suggesting here who knows!

Ironman put on great events and I am happy they are here. I wouldn’t have paid them what city is paying, but that’s me! . You are right Roth is Roth. Felix sold all challenge but Roth. All other challenge races are just licensed. Garbage business model. Again that’s just me!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply