Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Tulsa & Ironman Tulsa 70.3 Discontinued After 2023 [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
oktriguy wrote:
Waingro wrote:
The incompetents that run IM cannot create sustainable races

They sure are good at killing independent races however. RIP Redman....

I mean the list here is long

Beach to battleship
Raleigh half ( which was held prior to the Raleigh 70.3)
5150 series
Memphis in May
and many, many more

It's almost like they killed off the independent races that helped feed their model. I also suspect the multisport world is fragmenting from people doing 6-8 tri's per year to 2-3 tri's, a gravel race or 2, maybe a marathon and a fondo type event to round out their season

Add the Great Floridian to that list too.

And IM NC is such a zombie of Beach to Battleship, it's sad. I'm so sad about that one too. People doing IM NC have no idea what they missed.

It IS part of their business model. And we bought right into it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa & Ironman Tulsa 70.3 Discontinued After 2023 [Bryan!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan! wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
Bryan! wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
Tribike53 wrote:
nanban_ronin wrote:
My read of the note suggests the reason is work on trails and waterways completing in 2024. This suggest the race could come back after that. Is that others impressions? Or was it not a great course, had low numbers, etc.?

Many complained about the quality of the bike course roads.

That being said here’s some numbers for you for the full

2021 1906 athletes, 1707 finishers
2022 776 athletes, 652 finishers
2023 639 registered as of 3/1/23

Notes:
-No info available for the 2023 70.3 on the website
-2021 was a pro race
-2021 was also one of the very first races to happen after the covid shutdown and there will a lot of Kona spots given out

I am all for piling on WTC but come on.

The pandemic ended this race, not mismanagement.

I wouldn’t say COVID killed it. If that were true it would have done so for all races. If they 2500 for the full the announcement would have been a contract extension.

I don’t understand what logic you are using.

And I don’t understand yours. You’re saying the pandemic killed this race. I’m saying that it didn’t. If the pandemic was responsible for killing this year it would have done so for every race. But it didn’t.

I’m saying that it was low numbers and Tulsa pulled from the same local folks that do Texas and the draft fest there on the Hardy Toll road won. So my belief is that a Spring race isn’t very popular and when it’s near Texas that probably killed it.

I would also add that while covid may have been a “thing” in a lot of the country it really wasn’t in texas and I’m sure by extension Oklahoma. Things did not shut down in texas. There was maybe 2 weeks where ppl took it seriously but then everything was open again.

Politics aside this happened
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa & Ironman Tulsa 70.3 Discontinued After 2023 [oktriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oktriguy wrote:
desert dude wrote:
oktriguy wrote:
Waingro wrote:
The incompetents that run IM cannot create sustainable races

They sure are good at killing independent races however. RIP Redman....

I mean the list here is long

Beach to battleship
Raleigh half ( which was held prior to the Raleigh 70.3)
5150 series
Memphis in May
and many, many more

It's almost like they killed off the independent races that helped feed their model. I also suspect the multisport world is fragmenting from people doing 6-8 tri's per year to 2-3 tri's, a gravel race or 2, maybe a marathon and a fondo type event to round out their season

Add the Great Floridian to that list too.

And IM NC is such a zombie of Beach to Battleship, it's sad. I'm so sad about that one too. People doing IM NC have no idea what they missed.

It IS part of their business model. And we bought right into it.

In perhaps a rare instance of the opposite trend, the Wisconsin Milkman is making a comeback this June. As I understand it, IM took it over several years and then used the Milkman course for Madison 70.3. When Madison was shifted to September, Milkman returned. I'll be curious to see how it does. It's the weekend between IM Des Moines 70.3 and Steelhead, so it has some IM competition. My sense is that Door County, another popular independent half distance race that's in July, has seen declining numbers in recent years.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa & Ironman Tulsa 70.3 Discontinued After 2023 [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
My sense is that Door County, another popular independent half distance race that's in July, has seen declining numbers in recent years.

Door county used to sell out in the early morning hours on New Years Day (1000 max registration maybe?). Last year had less than half the number of finished from it's peak. All in all, not a good trend.
2015: 831
2016: 700
2017: 735
2018: 571
2019: 503
2021: 453
2022: 395

Regarding Milkman, It seemed like it was created with the intent to be sold to Ironman and I think it only ran 1 year before doing so (2016), but did have close to 900 finishers. I'm also watching that race to see how what is effectively a new, independent 70.3 does in filling a void left by Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa & Ironman Tulsa 70.3 Discontinued After 2023 [Bryan!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to bring the thread back a bit, but regarding Texas now being the only spring IM…isn’t St George supposed to be a full IM in 2024(assuming the usual early May timing). Hope that’s the case, as a St G IM next is my plan for next year
Last edited by: Torrent: Apr 21, 23 20:22
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa & Ironman Tulsa 70.3 Discontinued After 2023 [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's sad to see for Door County. There are so many more 70.3s within a reasonable drive for the southern Wisconsin/Chicago population now so I can see why.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa & Ironman Tulsa 70.3 Discontinued After 2023 [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Door County has priced themselves out of the game. They are higher than an IM race, which is really ridiculous IMO. Nice venue but pricey, decent race but nothing terribly special and when the entry fee went so high it was a real NO for me. Simply not worth it. It's sad they see the numbers go down and don't realize they have priced themselves out of the market. I can do 2 other independent races for their fee.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa & Ironman Tulsa 70.3 Discontinued After 2023 [Torrent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Torrent wrote:
Sorry to bring the thread back a bit, but regarding Texas now being the only spring IM…isn’t St George supposed to be a full IM in 2024(assuming the usual early May timing). Hope that’s the case, as a St G IM next is my plan for next year

That is my understanding as well for St. George full next year. I will likely see you there!

I believe 2024 will be the NA championship race too so lots of slots
Last edited by: Tribike53: Apr 21, 23 21:30
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa & Ironman Tulsa 70.3 Discontinued After 2023 [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did STG last year and was not a fan of the descents into St G. I am a good bike handler and the 30mph crosswinds against my P3X on a 7% grade while my disc brakes heated and started fading was one the scariest things I’ve done on bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tulsa & Ironman Tulsa 70.3 Discontinued After 2023 [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah St George is such a great venue. I like hills…and a guaranteed wetsuit swim(in early may at least)!
Last edited by: Torrent: Apr 22, 23 22:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well here we are 1 week out from Tulsa and per the participant lists here is what I got when I crunched the #'s

Full Ironman (Participant list last updated 4/27/23)
Participants....665
Male................530
Female............135
USA..................595
Non-USA.........70
Oldest.............77
Youngest........18

Half Ironman (Participant list last updated 5/2/23)
Participants....775
Male................585
Female............189
USA..................759
Non-USA.........16
Oldest.............74
Youngest........18

Half starts at 6:30 AM Central US
Full starts at 7:00 AM Central US
Total athletes competing on 5/21/23 = 1440

Anyone here going? I'll be there for the full. My third ironman
Last edited by: Tribike53: May 14, 23 13:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tribike53 wrote:
well here we are 1 week out from Tulsa and per the participant lists here is what I got when I crunched the #'s

Full Ironman (Participant list last updated 4/27/23)
Participants....665
Male................530
Female............135
USA..................595
Non-USA.........70
Oldest.............77
Youngest........18

Half Ironman (Participant list last updated 5/2/23)
Participants....775
Male................585
Female............189
USA..................759
Non-USA.........16
Oldest.............74
Youngest........18

Half starts at 6:30 AM Central US
Full starts at 7:00 AM Central US
Total athletes competing on 5/21/23 = 1440

Anyone here going? I'll be there for the full. My third ironman

Appreciate the numbers. Odd that they aren’t starting the full before the half. I’ll be there. Will be Ironman #25 for me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next