Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheel Sets - Cheap?
Quote | Reply
I would like to purchase some new wheels for my two 1/2 Ironmans this summer. I am doing Tupper Lake and Timberman. Right now I am just riding the stock wheels that came with my $600 road bike. Am I going to find any in the $300 or less price range that are decent by using Ebay? Are new wheels going to make a difference over the 56 miles? Should I spend the $300 on just getting a good front wheel? On Ebay, I am finding the following....

Mavic Cosmic Elite - $160

Mavic/Ultegra Road Wheel Set (Mavic Open Pro rims) - $175

Mavic CXP21 black alloy rims with Shimano 2200 - $60

Mavic Ksyrium Elite (2003) - $200

Shimano 105 Matrix 700c - $135

SPINERGY SR-3 700c - $120

Are any of the Performance brand wheels any good?
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Sets - Cheap? [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still using my stock wheels too (not really race wheels since they're clinchers ;) so I can't really help you out with those choices. But I'm planning on putting a $65 CH Aero cover on an as-of-yet-unpurchased box rim wheel to make a very cheap yet aerodynamic disc wheel....

These look like some good prices uptown423. Communicate with the sellers and don;t be "wooed" by the last 15 minutes of the auction frenzy.

I think nice wheels and tires will be a noticeable difference. Be sure of what you are getting, ask good questions (like this one you posted on the forum) and remember the E-Bay motto: "Caveat Emptor", Let the Buyer Beware. There are good deals on E-Bay, and a couple not so good ones.

Good luck, I think you'll do fine. Let us know your decision and your experiences.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply