Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo p5 disc - ritchey saddle clamp tilt down
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I have been having a very annoying issue with my p5… the saddle fore/aft doesn’t move but the tilt keeps going down quite a bit on the bike.

I use the original p5 aero carbon seatpost zero offset, with the aluminium ritchey one bolt clamp for 7x7mm rails. Have tried changing saddles and changing clamp but the issue remains. I’ve used also carbon paste (even though it’s aluminium) and loctite on the one bolt threading through.. torque 12nm, have also tried beyond that, it keeps slipping down… I hate that as I’m very sensitive to saddle tilt and this makes my riding impossible…

Any ideas / thoughts? It’s to the point where say I head out at -1deg, I’d come back home at -5/-8deg after a 40-50km ride.. crazy..

This is the clamp used:
https://ritcheylogic.com/...st-complete-clampset

Thanks so much for any help,
Luca
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo p5 disc - ritchey saddle clamp tilt down [Luca1991] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would change the clamp and see if a new one has the same problem or test with another saddle. I have owned a P5 and sold many and never had any issue. You might just got unlucky and the clamp is just not 100% good.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo p5 disc - ritchey saddle clamp tilt down [Luca1991] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had that clamp on multiple P3's.

The solution is the location of where you put the clamp relative to the nose. What you want to do is move the clamp on the seat post as far forward as possible and move the saddle back in the clamp as far backward as possible so that the location of the saddle in space relative to the bottom bracket is the same, but the lever arm from the centre bolt of the clamp to the nose of the saddle is as short as possible. If the clamp is far to the rear of the saddle relative to the nose, then there were will more torque when you are riding the nose causing the saddle to tip downward. The other solution of course is "get lighter", because Torque = Force x distance and Force = mass x9.8m/s^^2. If you reduce your mass you reduce the torque on the bolt holding the clamp in pace.....much easier to change the "distance" than the "mass" in those equations.

To simplify this, if you you have 14cm of distance from midde of bolt to nose of saddle, and if you move clamp on seatpost forward by say 2.8cm, and then move the saddle inside clamp back 2.8cm, then you will be in the same place in space relative to the bottom bracket and you will have 20 percent less torque at the bolt which may be just enough to keep it from tilting on your rides.
Quote Reply