Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I think I found a great setup for audio on a loud at-home treadmill for earbuds
Quote | Reply
I think I've found a great setup for audio for those of you who have issues with a loud treadmill that makes it hard to hear movies, etc through your earbuds.

I bought a low-profile set of earbuds, no noise-canceling needed at all, like the Jabra Elite 3 which is $68 right now. If you're worried about killing it with sweat, buy the 3 year warrantee for $8.00 on Amazon.

Next buy a $20-$25 over-ear set of ear protection headseats. Like the ones used for shooting ranges. They're not expensive, they have no electronics and they work REALLY well.

Wear the earbuds under the over-ear headset. Seriously. It works great - I've been doing it for months now, and it's been by far the best audio setup I've used on a TM.

I think this is a lot superior to buying pricey sport headphones that have ANC (active noise cancellation), as the noise suppression is better with this system, and you don't have to risk killing your pricey headphones. (I have managed to kill pretty much every type and cost level of earbud or over-ear headphones on my TM in the last 7 years.)

My main worry was that the sweat would collect in my ear and thus kill your earbuds extra quick, but that hasn't played out. What seems to happen is that the sweat pools inside the multiple levels of the headset earcup before pooling in your ear (meaning it gets to your earbud LAST). I actually 'empty out' the headset like every 30-45 minutes and am surprised how much sweat comes out, but then you're good to go for awhile.

I've used apple airpods under them as well, but that little stick piece does take some getting used to as it can make your ear sore the first few times you use it. The Jabra elite has no stick so doesn't have this problem.

It's a much better solution than turning your headphones up to earsplitting levels and risk hearing loss long-term. I'm amazed how low the volumes levels I need with this setup - it's less than half the volume setting I'd normally use with a non-ANC earbud, and sounds super clear.

(They do make all-in-one BT sound-protection headsets, but you then risk sweat killing the electronics since it pools in the earmuff first. Same with pricey sport ANC headsets. I've killed nice ones from Plantronics and Adidas that had hefty, seeming super-sweat resistant builds, but nope - those died just as fast as the other ones. I have replacements from the warrantee, but I don't use them as those would get killed quickly too.)

Make sure to hang-dry or squeeze the earcups after you're done - if you sweat a lot, they will drip!
Last edited by: lightheir: Apr 11, 23 18:18
Quote Reply
Re: I think I found a great setup for audio on a loud at-home treadmill for earbuds [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eh. I used a pair of these (Soundcore by Anker Life P3i Hybrid Active Noise Cancelling Earbuds https://a.co/d/gcoH041) for a very long time (until they got lost) and they never failed. I find ANC, even on cheap earbuds, perfectly sufficient for a loud trainer or treadmill. Cheap enough to replace if they get lost or broken but I've also never had an issue with sweat on both runs and bikes.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: I think I found a great setup for audio on a loud at-home treadmill for earbuds [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Eh. I used a pair of these (Soundcore by Anker Life P3i Hybrid Active Noise Cancelling Earbuds https://a.co/d/gcoH041) for a very long time (until they got lost) and they never failed. I find ANC, even on cheap earbuds, perfectly sufficient for a loud trainer or treadmill. Cheap enough to replace if they get lost or broken but I've also never had an issue with sweat on both runs and bikes.

Lucky you! You won't need this then.

Seriously, I have killed EVERY set of earbuds and headphones I've used, from cheap to $$$. Most of them in under 3 months. Longest lasting of them all has been Apple gen 1 airpods, which lasted 6-7 months despite the lack of verified water protection.

But the sound reduction on the over-ear muffs is crazy good - the ANC on my over-ears is nothing compared to this setup, and at least for my loud TM, sadly insufficient unless I turn the volume up a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: I think I found a great setup for audio on a loud at-home treadmill for earbuds [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I think I've found a great setup for audio for those of you who have issues with a loud treadmill that makes it hard to hear movies, etc through your earbuds.

I bought a low-profile set of earbuds, no noise-canceling needed at all, like the Jabra Elite 3 which is $68 right now. If you're worried about killing it with sweat, buy the 3 year warrantee for $8.00 on Amazon.

Next buy a $20-$25 over-ear set of ear protection headseats. Like the ones used for shooting ranges. They're not expensive, they have no electronics and they work REALLY well.

Wear the earbuds under the over-ear headset. Seriously. It works great - I've been doing it for months now, and it's been by far the best audio setup I've used on a TM.

I think this is a lot superior to buying pricey sport headphones that have ANC (active noise cancellation), as the noise suppression is better with this system, and you don't have to risk killing your pricey headphones. (I have managed to kill pretty much every type and cost level of earbud or over-ear headphones on my TM in the last 7 years.)

My main worry was that the sweat would collect in my ear and thus kill your earbuds extra quick, but that hasn't played out. What seems to happen is that the sweat pools inside the multiple levels of the headset earcup before pooling in your ear (meaning it gets to your earbud LAST). I actually 'empty out' the headset like every 30-45 minutes and am surprised how much sweat comes out, but then you're good to go for awhile.

I've used apple airpods under them as well, but that little stick piece does take some getting used to as it can make your ear sore the first few times you use it. The Jabra elite has no stick so doesn't have this problem.

It's a much better solution than turning your headphones up to earsplitting levels and risk hearing loss long-term. I'm amazed how low the volumes levels I need with this setup - it's less than half the volume setting I'd normally use with a non-ANC earbud, and sounds super clear.

(They do make all-in-one BT sound-protection headsets, but you then risk sweat killing the electronics since it pools in the earmuff first. Same with pricey sport ANC headsets. I've killed nice ones from Plantronics and Adidas that had hefty, seeming super-sweat resistant builds, but nope - those died just as fast as the other ones. I have replacements from the warrantee, but I don't use them as those would get killed quickly too.)

Make sure to hang-dry or squeeze the earcups after you're done - if you sweat a lot, they will drip!

So I find ear protectors very uncomfortable after an hour.

My solution is AirPod Pros - the noise cancellation is great.
Quote Reply