Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Advice in next steps to more speed. [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
same race as this ?
link

Yes, it was the Almere 42km TT on April 8th. 241 riders, three age groups for M & F 16-39, 40-49, 50+

https://results.sporthive.com/events/7049668232428344064/races/485376

Quote Reply
Re: Advice in next steps to more speed. [Froekel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced here as well, Hanginon sent me a private message since I missed your topic.
These are my stats and some pictures I copied from the 'average power average speed' topic:

Did a 42km TT last Saturday, 13th out of 241 including some pros, elites and the current world hour record holder M45-49 (Filip Speybrouck) who only beat me by 1 second..

1) Average power = 288W, Normalized power = 293W
2) Average speed = 27.4MPH, 43.78km/h
3) Distance = 26.25Mi, 42km
4) Rider weight = 151lb, 68kg (winter weight yo, 2kg over weight still) Height = 5'7", 170cm
5) Describe bike and wheels = 2015 Trek Speed Concept, cheap Aliexpress 70mm Trispoke, Ron wheels Aeron X disc, Michelin Power Cup 25mm clinchers, Vittoria latex tubes (6.5Bar front, 6.2Bar rear), ghetto tape mod to create super extensions, Rotor Aldhu 54/38 155mm cranks, C-bear ceramic BB, KCNC oversized pulley system, KMC X11SL chain, SRAM PG1170 11-26 cassette. First time using my Nopinz Flow suit. Giro Aerohead. Aero socks.
6) Excuses: None, except for maybe having paced the opening lap a bit too slow. Very happy with the speed for the power I pushed.
7)

1st lap: 281W avg, 285W NP, 43.3kph, 19'31"
2nd lap: 293W avg, 295W NP, 44.4kph, 19'09"
3rd lap: 297W avg, 301W NP, 44.5kph, 19'03"

Paced the first lap too easy, but ah well..
I always try to build throughout the race instead of the 'smash and try to hold on' that a lot of people seem to use based on the times I can see.
This was basically double the length of the longest TT I've done and only my 4th ever TT so overall I'm happy with the result.
Last edited by: Tri_Joeri: Apr 12, 23 6:02
Quote Reply
Re: Advice in next steps to more speed. [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
ghetto tape mod to create super extensions

this explains it all !!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Tri_Joeri wrote:

😂 It probably provides no measurable benefit at all but still haha.

Any estimates on my CdA?

The surface was quite rough overall with quite some bumps in there as well.
Last edited by: Tri_Joeri: Apr 12, 23 6:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
marcag wrote:
Tri_Joeri wrote:

😂 It probably provides no measurable benefit at all but still haha.

Any estimates on my CdA?

The surface was quite rough overall with quite some bumps in there as well.

I used a CRR of .0055, air density of 1.22 and get .208.
For the OP, same parameters I get .300
For the other poster with the big watts .241

<pink> While I think your result is great, suck it up and produce more watts </pink>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
Michelin Power Cup 25mm clinchers, Vittoria latex tubes (6.5Bar front, 6.2Bar rear)

Interesting that you run more pressure in your front tire. Anybody else here do that?

I run 23mm front and 25mm rear at the same pressure, which I think (effectively) means the rear is higher
Last edited by: Hanginon: Apr 12, 23 8:22
Quote Reply
Re: Advice in next steps to more speed. [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s true that I would like to think the power is valid but I will check. The reason that I assumed that the power was valid is that I did a couple of short crit races early in the season on a road bike with a quark powermeter and had an np power of 308 and 312 for an hour. So those three datapoints give me confidence that the power during the tt could be a bit high but not a huge misreading.

I did an easy ride on the taxc and the difference between taxc and powermeter was 7 watts. Similar with earlier checks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Froekel wrote:
It’s true that I would like to think the power is valid but I will check. The reason that I assumed that the power was valid is that I did a couple of short crit races early in the season on a road bike with a quark powermeter and had an np power of 308 and 312 for an hour. So those three datapoints give me confidence that the power during the tt could be a bit high but not a huge misreading.

I did an easy ride on the taxc and the difference between taxc and powermeter was 7 watts. Similar with earlier checks.

The good news is that even if the PM is off as long as it's consistently off you can still learn from it. Whether your true power:cda is 330:0.35 or 240:0.25 doesn't really change your finishing time.

I'd do some Chung method testing and try to lower your Cda with the various things listed in the thread. It's not the absolute CdA that matters here, just that you're finding ways to lower it.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice in next steps to more speed. [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
The good news is that even if the PM is off as long as it's consistently off you can still learn from it. Whether your true power:cda is 330:0.35 or 240:0.25 doesn't really change your finishing time.

I'd do some Chung method testing and try to lower your Cda with the various things listed in the thread. It's not the absolute CdA that matters here, just that you're finding ways to lower it.

Very true. However the key word in there is "consistently" off. For example, errors caused by a singe sided PM have a tendency to be less "consistent". Errors caused by bad auto-calibration...the same.

But I think the OP is on the right track of investigating his measurement tool before trusting it's measures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

<pink> While I think your result is great, suck it up and produce more watts </pink>

Haha I'm working on it!

Had a FTP of 304W end of the 2021 season, that dropped to 288 the first half of 2022 due to increased running and swimming for a 70.3 and have worked my way up again now to 312W (on the road bike, I still lose quite a bit in the TT position). I'm focussing on cycling since March (with 1-2 short maintenance runs a week) to see what I can squeeze out of myself in TTs of around 1h and some 4-5h Gran Fondos here in Europe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gonna go out on a limb here and suggest something real cray cray.

Train more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of PM are you running ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
What kind of PM are you running ?

Dual sided Favero Assioma's, with 155mm crank length set. At 260W, the difference compared to my Wahoo Kicker Core was 6W (Assioma's were lower), at lower power the difference was smaller.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully the OP doesn't mind me "jacking" his thread, but since my question is the same and we can maybe keep this as a general "tips on how to get quicker" thread.

Sorry, it's going to be a long post as well..

So in the beginning of April I raced the same race as the OP. I was quite happy with the speed I got for the power I did, but as Marcag commented (in pink) back then, I needed to work on the energy in part of the equation. Quoted part of my post to share setup and data from that race:

Tri_Joeri wrote:

4) Rider weight = 151lb, 68kg (winter weight yo, 2kg over weight still) Height = 5'7", 170cm
5) Describe bike and wheels = 2015 Trek Speed Concept, cheap Aliexpress 70mm Trispoke, Ron wheels Aeron X disc, Michelin Power Cup 25mm clinchers, Vittoria latex tubes (6.5Bar front, 6.2Bar rear), ghetto tape mod to create super extensions, Rotor Aldhu 54/38 155mm cranks, C-bear ceramic BB, KCNC oversized pulley system, KMC X11SL chain, SRAM PG1170 11-26 cassette. First time using my Nopinz Flow suit. Giro Aerohead. Aero socks.
6) Excuses: None, except for maybe having paced the opening lap a bit too slow. Very happy with the speed for the power I pushed.
7)

Since then I've worked really hard to improve my power and I've tried to make some improvements to my equipment as well. Averaged 328W, 329W NP for just over 50min to average 46,6km/h. I'm 170cm and 66-66.5kg.

From the TT above until now: I changed from the 54/38 2X setup to a 58T Pyramid Cycle Design NW chain ring, went from the Sockeloen long aero socks to Nopinz Flow long shoe covers, maxed out the tilt on the stock bars.

This was the course of last Sunday's race:

I think I paced it well. Lap times deviated a bit from having to go around people, the first 30-35' the riders of the 100k TT were still on track as well as catching slower riders from the 40k TT I was in. The last 3 laps the wind definitely picked up.

Note: the time of the first and last lap aren't a good comparisson since our start and finish deviated from the one of the Strava segment I used for the other laps.

Now if I look at my position, when I'm tucking hard I think it looks ok but when I look slightly ahead, a gap opens between my helmet and hands which makes me think I'm too low in the front and there might be some gains to be had there.

I'm maxed out on reach on the stock Speed Concept setup.. Lowest and longest stem, mono extensions slammed as far forward as they can go. I'm afraid if I go up 15-20mm in the front, my shoulders and arms will "roll outwards" which would increase my frontal area again if I can't extend further forward.

There might still be some gains to be had with a different helmet? Especially if I move up a bit I think something with a tail might be better (MET Drone, Kask Mistral)?

I would really like to test moving upwards and the different helmets, but a bit unsure on how to analyze the CdA. I have an outdoor velodrome relatively close near my home. Is the premium version of MyWindSock sufficiently accurate? It estimated my CdA at 0.195 for the entire race on Sunday where I only had to get out of the aero bars for a couple of seconds each lap as I marked on the course map.

Any constructive criticism or input from the experts here is much appreciated :)
Last edited by: Tri_Joeri: Sep 27, 23 22:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a believer in High hands or Low hands, not "in-between" hands. Can you get more tilt on your bars so your hands are higher, and more in front of your face?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take mywindsock CDA numbers with a pinch of salt.
If you are riding the same course for an example a Midweek TT every week you will see similar numbers weekly but ride another course and your numbers will be very different.
You can use to validate changes on the same course but your error margin would be around 0.005 at best.
I haven’t used it myself but have hear good things about Aerotune..

https://www.aerotune.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Advice in next steps to more speed. [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hanginon wrote:
I'm a believer in High hands or Low hands, not "in-between" hands. Can you get more tilt on your bars so your hands are higher, and more in front of your face?

Unfortunately not, I'm maxed out on tilt on the stock setup.. The options I believe I have are:

1. Try to find the mono plug-in extension and buy regular extensions that allow for higher hands (and more reach)
  2. Mount a higher mono spacer to move both elbows and hands up but I think this will make my shoulders and my arms move outwards more unless I'm able to increase reach, which I also can't.. The stock mono extension is slammed all the way forward.
  3. A combination of 1 and 2
  4. Move to Wattshop/Aerocoach/TTWasp/.. extensions which are way too expensive, I believe there are more gains to be had for a lot less money..

m@tty wrote:
Take mywindsock CDA numbers with a pinch of salt.
If you are riding the same course for an example a Midweek TT every week you will see similar numbers weekly but ride another course and your numbers will be very different.
You can use to validate changes on the same course but your error margin would be around 0.005 at best.
I haven’t used it myself but have hear good things about Aerotune..

https://www.aerotune.com/

Thanks, I'll look into Aerotune!

I'll likely be doing testing on the same course and I want to try to (for now at least) knock out as much in one day as possible, doing AA BB AA BB testing or something. Unfortunately because my bike still has mechanical shifting, I'd have to route an entire new cable if I want to test with a higher mono spacer because cable runs through the spacers as well. So it's quite a hassle..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I tried to do a little aero testing last Sunday (first try at it). Tried my full race setup, just switching from the M Aerohead to the L MET Drone and back to the Aerohead. As per the manual of Aerotune I used a 1km long stretch of road that's mostly smooth and flat, no traffic, to do out and back runs on a day with as little wind as possible. I tried to get up to speed as much as possible, maintaining the same power level throughout the segment but speed still increased partially throughout the segment so likely I need longer stretches of road to test on? The average speeds do resemble my race speeds of this season.

I created a Strava segment for it so I could check MyWindSock as well, which gave me:

Giro Aerohead:
First run out: 338W, 45.4kph, 0.219 CdA
First run back: 338W, 48.6kph, 0.184 CdA

So averages out to 0.2015?

Second run out: 346W, 46kph, 0.213 CdA
Second run back: 348W, 48.6kph, 0.182 CdA

So averages out to 0.1975? A bit counter intuitive to get a lower CdA value if I had to push 10W more for the same speed as on the first run back

MET Drone:
First run out: 346W, 46kph, 0.214 CdA
First run back: 339W, 49.3kph, 0.17 CdA

So averages out to 0.192?

Second run out: 343W, 46kph, 0.213 CdA
Second run back: 347W, 49.3kph, 0.18 CdA

So averages out to 0.1965?

Giro Aerohead:
First run out: 341W, 44.8kph, 0.207 CdA
First run back: 343W, 48.6kph, 0.187 CdA

So averages out to 0.197?

Second run out: 341W, 44.8kph, 0.202 CdA
Second run back: 337W, 49.3kph, 0.188 CdA

So averages out to 0.195? Again here a bit counter intuitive to have a very slightly higher CdA while I got a higher speed at a lower power than during the first run out?

To compare, MyWindSock calculated me to be at 0.195 for an entire 51 minute long TT where I only had to get out of the aerobars for a handful of seconds per 4km out of 40km, while using the Aerohead.

If I take the averages for the 2 runs for each "test", best case I have around 5.3W gain and worst case around 1.8W gain if you use a CdA change of 0.01 = 10W?

With Aerotune I find it a bit tricky, for the correct system weight (81.3kg) I tried to enter a few different CRRs. I ran at 6.4 bar F+R, Aerocoach quotes 0.00254 at 6.3 bar for the Michelin Power Cup Clinchers in 23mm which I use. BRR quotes 0.00288 for the 25mm version at 6.2 bar.

For a CRR of 0.0025, the power to maintain 45kph is calculated at 306W-294W-306W
For 0.0026 it is 307W-295W-297W
For 0.0028 it is 309W-297W-297W
For 0.003 it is 311W-299W-299W
For 0.004 (Marcag used this value to calculate the other TT I believe) it is 309W-297W-297W

I'll definitely need to test more and try out a longer stretch of road, but the CRR I estimate influences it a lot so I need to know/figure out what is realistic..
Last edited by: Tri_Joeri: Oct 13, 23 4:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
So I tried to do a little aero testing last Sunday (first try at it). Tried my full race setup, just switching from the M Aerohead to the L MET Drone and back to the Aerohead. As per the manual of Aerotune I used a 1km long stretch of road that's mostly smooth and flat, no traffic, to do out and back runs on a day with as little wind as possible. I tried to get up to speed as much as possible, maintaining the same power level throughout the segment but speed still increased partially throughout the segment so likely I need longer stretches of road to test on? The average speeds do resemble my race speeds of this season.

I created a Strava segment for it so I could check MyWindSock as well, which gave me:

Giro Aerohead:

So averages out to 0.1975? A bit counter intuitive to get a lower CdA value if I had to push 10W more for the same speed as on the first run back

MET Drone:

Giro Aerohead:

So averages out to 0.195? Again here a bit counter intuitive to have a very slightly higher CdA while I got a higher speed at a lower power than during the first run out?

To compare, MyWindSock calculated me to be at 0.195 for an entire 51 minute long TT where I only had to get out of the aerobars for a handful of seconds per 4km out of 40km, while using the Aerohead.

If I take the averages for the 2 runs for each "test", best case I have around 5.3W gain and worst case around 1.8W gain if you use a CdA change of 0.01 = 10W?

With Aerotune I find it a bit tricky, for the correct system weight (81.3kg) I tried to enter a few different CRRs. I ran at 6.4 bar F+R, Aerocoach quotes 0.00254 at 6.3 bar for the Michelin Power Cup Clinchers in 23mm which I use. BRR quotes 0.00288 for the 25mm version at 6.2 bar.

For a CRR of 0.0025, the power to maintain 45kph is calculated at 306W-294W-306W
For 0.004 (Marcag used this value to calculate the other TT I believe) it is 309W-297W-297W

I'll definitely need to test more and try out a longer stretch of road, but the CRR I estimate influences it a lot so I need to know/figure out what is realistic..

IMO, the CRR numbers on BRR and Aerocoach are probably on pretty good surfaces. Those surfaces don't exist in my world :-)

I use them and adjust according to temperature and road surface (we measure this).
If you are always testing on the same road, pick one and stick to it. Yes it will impact your absolute CDA but the delta between two configurations is what counts. If you are testing at relatively same speeds, you should be fine.

There are protocols to help zero in on CRR but they are not always evident. In a few weeks I am going to a tunnel with 2 riders and then we will test outdoors and use the tunnel data to help zero in on CRR protocols, but I think it's overkill for most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Froekel wrote:
Got some pictures from the race

Helmet, clothing and rear disc cover are the lowest hanging fruit; a couple of minutes easily saved there, for relatively cheap money. Don't forget also that cold air is more dense than warm air, and that slows you down, regardless of cda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what I thought as well, that's why I tried your number of 0.004 as well :)

I also expected the delta to be the same, but the Aerotune SW seems to think otherwise, for some reason with higher CRR the third test starts to converge with the second one until there is no difference between the helmets I tested.. I'll have to dig a bit deeper, perhaps in the way it tries to fit some of the data?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:

Giro Aerohead:

MET Drone:

Giro Aerohead:

Not sure about that platform to test, but the raw power to cda and crr there seems a bit off for those speeds.

At a .200 and .0035 crr and 29mph desired speed my calculator is telling me 283w on flat land. Your avg for 340w is 29mph. Since the cda doesn't care about your personal height.........something seems wrong here. I'm getting over 31mph for that power and cda.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
I raced here as well, Hanginon sent me a private message since I missed your topic.
These are my stats and some pictures I copied from the 'average power average speed' topic:

Did a 42km TT last Saturday, 13th out of 241 including some pros, elites and the current world hour record holder M45-49 (Filip Speybrouck) who only beat me by 1 second..

7)

Paced the first lap too easy, but ah well..
I always try to build throughout the race instead of the 'smash and try to hold on' that a lot of people seem to use based on the times I can see.
This was basically double the length of the longest TT I've done and only my 4th ever TT so overall I'm happy with the result.

EDIT:

Found the answer to my question
Last edited by: MrTri123: Nov 13, 23 14:17
Quote Reply

Prev Next