Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cold OWS starts - how long to get in the water pre-race start?
Quote | Reply
I'm in the process of trying to figure out why I've been underperforming more often than not in my OWS race swims. I'm not comparing OWS to pool times - it's the placements.

I've been as high as top 12% in a pretty standard field but it's not unusual to for me to drop down to 25-30%, which I know is quite underperforming for me as if I'm in that range, I come out with a buddy of mine who isn't a great swimmer, and I see all his workouts on Strava, and he's averaging about 1:50/100yds in the pool, compared to my 1:30-1:35.

Most of the races I do here in Norcal are cold-water, sometimes very cold. I always manage to get in the water on the early side, to get myself used to the shock of the cold, but I'm wondering if that might not be the greatest idea, as I do feel that once I get going when the horn goes off, I just don't have the ''oomph" that I normally get when I'm swimming normally. Everything just feels slower, and I can't push as hard as I'd like - my arm turnover gets really slow, and I feel like I'm just swimming too easy - but I can't go any faster!

The races where I'm top 12-15% swim on race day, I DO feel like I'm cranking it, turnover is good, and I'm working hard in the water. It's not a surprise I do a lot better on the swim on those days, I definitely expect it based on my effort. I've had this with sligthly warmer but still cold water, so not sure its the temp.

(To be fair, once I'm out of the water slower than usual, I tend to put up PR bike-run splits, so I'm not sure it's a total loss.)

Wondering what the advice is regarding to cold OWS on race day? Get in just for a little bit before the gun goes off? Get in for a long time like I do to get comfy? Or stay out completely (plenty of people doing just this who are a lot faster than me) and even do some beach runs to get warmed up and almost hot so you have some heat buildup for the race swim?
Last edited by: lightheir: Apr 5, 23 9:28
Quote Reply
Re: Cold OWS starts - how long to get in the water pre-race start? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, just because I'm sure people will ask - my navigation isn't great but isn't terrible either, and seems to be fairly consistent from race to race. For sure I'm not doing some awesome navigation job when I place higher - I'm just able to swim a lot harder/faster. (I might even be navigating worse due to the harder effort.) It's still something I work on, and I tend to get like 8-10 legit OWS sessions of 3k or more before my A races.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold OWS starts - how long to get in the water pre-race start? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s the Jammers.

Sorry, someone had to do it.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Re: Cold OWS starts - how long to get in the water pre-race start? [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
theyellowcarguy wrote:
It’s the Jammers.

Sorry, someone had to do it.

Ya did it!

I'm still LOVING those darn things...it's the real deal! I actually badly for the other guys in the pool who aren't rocking them yet but are trying to get as fast as possible...but that's the other thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was almost always better in the second half than the first half of the swim.

I found that at least a 10 min easy swim warm up was necessary. In the last few years I've had success with a run warmup before I put my wetsuit on and then get into the water for acclimatization and a few min swim worked well too.

If the water is cold, like under 60°F then I'll need a few extra minutes to acclimatize to the water as well. If I can't do that I'll hold my head high in the water at the start until I get warmed up. I've never had an issue with my feet dropping while doing that because of the wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold OWS starts - how long to get in the water pre-race start? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I was almost always better in the second half than the first half of the swim.

I found that at least a 10 min easy swim warm up was necessary. In the last few years I've had success with a run warmup before I put my wetsuit on and then get into the water for acclimatization and a few min swim worked well too.

If the water is cold, like under 60°F then I'll need a few extra minutes to acclimatize to the water as well. If I can't do that I'll hold my head high in the water at the start until I get warmed up. I've never had an issue with my feet dropping while doing that because of the wetsuit.

The water I swim in is typically 52-58, usually on the colder side.

I unfortunately don't seem to swim faster as I 'warm up' in the race swim. It's been really frustrating for me to just be loping along at what doesn't feel that hard, but I just can't push any harder! (Hence the wonder about the cold affecting my performance.)

But it's entirely possible that it's all in my head....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cold water I would advise not getting in at all until last as possible and bring swim bands and do that type of warm up. The "being cold" and getting out standing around is a real thing imo even with a wetsuit....in "cold" water, not 71 type of water temp.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Cold OWS starts - how long to get in the water pre-race start? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Cold water I would advise not getting in at all until last as possible and bring swim bands and do that type of warm up. The "being cold" and getting out standing around is a real thing imo even with a wetsuit....in "cold" water, not 71 type of water temp.

Doh - this is something I did NOT know. Is this common knowledge? I've always read in magazines/blogposts to get in the water as much as possible to acclimate, but they weren't necessarily talking about cold water OWS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know that my body just doesn't like cold water.
If was on a vessel that sunk at sea in cold water, I'd be the first to die.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The issue with the water temp you are talking about is you can have "after drop." It's when you get out of cold water and your core body temp drops. I would suggest putting a routine together of running, bands, medicine balls to use before you get into race. Then also make sure you are training to acclimate in to that water temp.

When you are comparing percentage place in the field, what's the size of the field in the races?

I hope this helps,

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cold OWS starts - how long to get in the water pre-race start? [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:
The issue with the water temp you are talking about is you can have "after drop." It's when you get out of cold water and your core body temp drops. I would suggest putting a routine together of running, bands, medicine balls to use before you get into race. Then also make sure you are training to acclimate in to that water temp.

When you are comparing percentage place in the field, what's the size of the field in the races?

I hope this helps,

Tim

So you also would not recommend getting into the water before cold swims and just warm up on shore?

The fields I'm referring to are fields of 300-500 participants typically. Not a IM or HIM, typically Oly races, but the top finishers on the OA tend to be national-caliber racers (team EMJ commonly).

I actually pretty consistently place top 2-5 in my AG in the swim and surprisingly have several top AG swims, but this is definitely way more because of a soft field on race day in my M45-49 AG bracket on my races, as I'm getting absolutely blown away by the overall top swimmers, whom often beat me by 10 minutes in an Oly (!!)
Last edited by: lightheir: Apr 5, 23 10:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In colder water, I have found a 2'nd swim cap makes a nice difference ( possibly psychological) in keeping me warm overall and more consistent in my performance.

It's a low-risk simple experiment :-)

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: Cold OWS starts - how long to get in the water pre-race start? [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDevilDog wrote:
In colder water, I have found a 2'nd swim cap makes a nice difference ( possibly psychological) in keeping me warm overall and more consistent in my performance.

It's a low-risk simple experiment :-)

Alas, I've tried thermal swim cap, double swim cap, single swim cap, and have good-bad swims in all of them. I was hoping the thermal cap would do the trick, and it does warm my head better, but it still didn't get me to 'normal' effort/speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have the option of training in colder water? Maybe getting more acclimated to cold water in general would help.

Peak NA Cocktails for Recovery
WAE Clothing
Youtube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I now take some bands to get a warm up in (10 minutes worth)and get myself to the water’s edge around 10 minutes prior and dunk my head three times-all nose first. Take a deep breath and get your head in just before the water hits your ears and exhale. Then repeat, but get your ears under the water. The third is a full-head dunking.
Quote Reply