Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Multisport App
Quote | Reply
For those who are interested: I wrote a multisport app for Garmin watches:

During a race, it is more often experienced that a button is unintentionally pushed, which is very annoying. For example during the swim, where in the heat of the fight someone else hits your watch or during the bike if you hit your extensions with your watch. It concerns in the stock Garmin Triathlon app the select-button which pauses an activity, as well as the back-button to change activity. Garmin has tried to solve this problem with the newer watches in adding „bumps“ adjacent (only) to the select button. This app solves the problem in an alternative and conclusive way.
To change activity (an activity is also called „leg“), you push the select-button but you have to confirm that with a second push within some seconds. The chance that the button is unintentionally hit twice within a couple of seconds is practically nil. If you do not confirm, the leg just continues as if nothing happened.

Further functions which you won't find in the stock multisport app:
- Upto 10 fields per datascreen.
- Laps
- 3 different changeable configurations, each of which having upto 47 legs (such that the ötillö WC can be recorded).

If you like the app, you can download it for free from Garmin Connect IQ, it's called "Multisport Deluxe".

I use the app exclusively for some time (I also use my watch as bike computer), such that I know it runs stably at least with me.
If you have remarks, you can post them here of course.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Mar 4, 23 5:45
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Multisport App [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This sounds interesting. I hit the wrong button all too often, and pause my watch instead of triggering the next leg. Also had a race last year where I hit the pause button while taking off my wetsuit. Thank you.

salmon - not because I'm a fish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have the problem of hitting the wrong buttons as much as I do forgetting to hit my lap button out of the water, or out of transition, but this sounds interesting.

Is there a way of removing the extra data Garmin adds (insists you need on your display) when using their Multisport activity?

I also have the same problem when performing a work out from Training Peaks, like a run. They add data screens with multiple fields and if you have old eye's like me you can't read them without glasses... I don't run w/glasses. Garmin support told me "yeah, we can't change that, it's in the programming". I'm pretty sure Garmin wrote the code so, to me that's a super weak position.
Last edited by: mdana87: Mar 6, 23 5:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool.

So, the up to 47 legs you mention are in reference to being limited to 5 in the normal Garmin set up.

So, you could fully do the SOS and stage races like that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds perfect for SwimRun.

As of right now for Swimrun races I just leave the watch is running mode the whole time
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Multisport App [bulldog15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bulldog15 wrote:
Very cool.

So, the up to 47 legs you mention are in reference to being limited to 5 in the normal Garmin set up.

Should work. Just load the app down and try out what you want to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
bulldog15 wrote:
Very cool.

Should work. Just load the app down and try out what you want to do.

I was looking at that. I had an issue with the normal garmin multisport mode for Battle of Waterloo (10 leg)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
During a race, it is more often experienced that a button is unintentionally pushed, which is very annoying. For example during the swim, where in the heat of the fight someone else hits your watch or during the bike if you hit your extensions with your watch.

On Garmin's you can set the watch to auto lock the buttons during activities (System > Auto Lock > Only During Activities)

You need to long press any button to unlock the rest, once pressed it will auto lock itself again within a couple of seconds

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://dumbrunner.com/...reaking-in-real-time

Quote:
A local runner endured an intensely emotional breakup yesterday, Dumb Runner has learned—an event that his smartwatch recorded as it happened.

Gary Grobowski, 27, typically uses the watch to track things like workouts and sleep patterns, sources said, and was wearing it when Brooke Meyers, 26, his girlfriend of two years, told him that they “need(ed) to talk.”

When it became clear that Meyers was ending their relationship, sources said, Grobowski’s watch vibrated and chimed, notifying the five-time marathoner that his heart’s status was “broken.”

“Oh, hang on,” a sobbing Grobowski told Meyers, checking his watch screen and noting the alert. “Well then, I guess it’s official.”

Match that feature up to a dating app and you may be onto something

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Multisport App [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thetrickster wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
During a race, it is more often experienced that a button is unintentionally pushed, which is very annoying. For example during the swim, where in the heat of the fight someone else hits your watch or during the bike if you hit your extensions with your watch.

On Garmin's you can set the watch to auto lock the buttons during activities (System > Auto Lock > Only During Activities)

You need to long press any button to unlock the rest, once pressed it will auto lock itself again within a couple of seconds

That's interesting, I was not aware of that function.
I configured (in the stock Garmin Triathlon2 app) a multisport with bike-transition-run.

I activated the auto lock function for bike and run.
(You must do that in the triathlon2 app - setting, not in (System > Auto Lock > Only During Activities))

It worked in the bike leg but not in the transition leg which is logical because you can't seem to set that.
Strange was that it also did not work in the run leg: either I'm doing something wrong or there is a bug in the Triathlon2 app.

Anyway, the confirm function works in my app also in transitions.
Quote Reply