Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sebastian Kienle youtube video from Challenge Wanaka half 2023.
Quote | Reply
Really liked the ' Sebastian Kienle youtube video from Chalennge Wanaka half 2023'.

Not sure how to put a link but just search on youtube:

Unhealthy to podium in paradise - Challenge Wanaka | DISCONTINUED EP.3

Good viewing and I thought it captured the essence of triathlon and in a nice way the challenges also.

Have done this race in its many different forms and think the 2023 course was pretty good.

cheers from NZ.
Last edited by: triathlonshots: Feb 21, 23 4:09
Quote Reply
Re: Sebastian Kienle youtube video from Chalennge Wanaka half 2023. [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Click on "share" and then on the "Copy" button next to the link, paste here - done.

As for the video, enjoyed it as usual, but I agree with the constructive criticism by a certain Fabian Thaesler in the comments. Kienle might have released the video a bit later but added more of a storytelling perpective. We don't really learn how the race felt, except for "good/bad", or what it meant for him.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Sebastian Kienle youtube video from Chalennge Wanaka half 2023. [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And pro race had Race Ranger, looks very promising! At least Kienle said it worked flawlessly.
Quote Reply
Re: Sebastian Kienle youtube video from Chalennge Wanaka half 2023. [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a read over the 'RaceRanger' website. Good on those guys for working on a method to help police drafting. 'Race Ranger' could be a good thread by itself on here. From my quick read of it, it sounds like the sensors for measuring the 12m gap is on the motorbike. Good idea to take the guess work out of this measurement.
You would have to think some sort of GPS tracker on each athletes race timer could also be involved. Maybe it is and sure they will be protecting some of what they have developed. But if it relies on the motorbikers, then it won't quite do the job. Was passed by a motorbiker looking for drafting on the bike about 10 times though, so it would stop the worst offending drafters. Just my thoughts and interested to know more about 'Race Ranger' for sure.
Last edited by: triathlonshots: Feb 22, 23 1:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the "official" race ranger thread. I believe there are 2 sensors on each bike. The front sensor of the bike in the rear "talks" to the rear sensor of the bike in front and then calculate the distance. Based on the calculation the rear bike will see whether or not they are riding within the legal draft zone. I believe the person on the moto is only there "analyze" the information (whether is was a quick 1 time infraction or whether the person is continually staying in the draft zone).

Race Ranger Thread
Quote Reply
Re: Sebastian Kienle youtube video from Chalennge Wanaka half 2023. [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The IMTalk podcast interviewed Dylan McNeice after the race about Race Ranger, worth a listen for anyone who wants to learn more about it.

IMTalk Episode 861 – Dylan McNeice — IM Talk
Quote Reply
Re: Sebastian Kienle youtube video from Chalennge Wanaka half 2023. [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for that Kajet. I was also left wanting to know more after watching this video, so guess I will have to watch the next one after IMNZ this coming Saturday.

Am at work so haven't read the feedback, but plan to sometime.

In the video Kienle, does comment about some negative feedback from a some people and it makes me wonder whether it has bothered him. It would seem to me, to have longevity in anything, we would need to stay in a really good frame of mind. It does make me think of Cameron Brown and my feeling is that he does stay pretty focused on all the good things.
It would seem that to stay motivated, one would need the right frame of mind. Injuries would be a real reason to feel 'dragged down' in any sport/life. But being affected by 'naysayers', is just not worth it. Hardest of all I am guessing for most people is not having family backing/support in some way (eg. having say parents who are 'naysayers').
Anyway it appears most of the good athletes including Kienle and say Cameron Brown have good support structures around them.
And hey teh above is just my guess/opinion from a distance, so interested to hear what others think.
I certainly look at these guys as role models for focusing and achieving goals, so interesting to hear some parts of what makes them tick. Am sure it is a fine balance for them, when presenting themselves as they have sponsors also looking for just all the good parts....
Last edited by: triathlonshots: Feb 27, 23 3:18
Quote Reply
Re: Sebastian Kienle youtube video from Chalennge Wanaka half 2023. [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, thanks for the link. Found that very informative regarding 'Race Ranger'.

Was interested in what other 'ST' people thought of the video. Found it interesting he stated having battles with weight and could vary by up to 5kgs a day. From what I can find out, Kienle is normally around 70kgs, so to vary by 5kgs, sounds a bit too much in one day. As a starting point it would seem when he loses too much weight in a single day, then he would need to be taking more fluids or electrolytes (on that day). Am particularly interested in his weight change/gain issues as it is something that can be a challenge as people get older.
there were other things that he spoke about in this video that are common to all athletes. The way he spoke, he come across as a 'bit flat' or tired coming into 'Challenge Wanaka' and eluded to some old injury type issues, like his shoulder from bike crashes, so I guess that could be very real and challenging. I found the video to be quite insightful and maybe it is even more interesting as he leaves the viewer wanting to know/understand more.
Interesting also the young fast NZ guys who were first and second, as those times were quite fast in a very steep and twity off-road two lap run course.
Last edited by: triathlonshots: Feb 27, 23 4:47
Quote Reply
Re: Sebastian Kienle youtube video from Challenge Wanaka half 2023. [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting viewing again.

Quote Reply
Re: Sebastian Kienle youtube video from Challenge Wanaka half 2023. [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Follow up video from NZ :

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find this year's videos from SK to be depressing and kind of pitiful. I stopped watching them. I wish he was happier about his retirement tour.
Quote Reply
Re: Sebastian Kienle youtube video from Challenge Wanaka half 2023. [applenutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
applenutt wrote:
I find this year's videos from SK to be depressing and kind of pitiful. I stopped watching them. I wish he was happier about his retirement tour.

Must say, I am not finding it very uplifting. Am hoping it turns around for him and he enters some races without injury issues in the build up. My understanding is that he had some serious bike crashes which caused some injuries and maybe that is really dragging him down.

It is still interesting though to see how he can overcome the challenges. Hope he can start smiling some more and sign off on a good note.

Do think there is some good camera work though and it showcased NZ long distance triathlon events reasonably well.

Also liked it when Sebastian Kienle hit the triathlon scene and was very quick on the bike. One event against Lance Armstrong in a triathlon in the USA, he went fastest on the bike and took out the race.
Last edited by: triathlonshots: Apr 27, 23 23:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favourite Kienle moment by far.. other than his winners speech afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rimk6m1eaFk

Quote Reply