Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone still watch prime time network TV?
Quote | Reply
Besides live sports, prime time on ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox seems like a bit of a wasteland. I saw an ad today for Law and Order..WTF that series is still on??!! Seinfeld was about last prime time show I regularly watched.
Last edited by: Trick: Jan 26, 23 17:28
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone still watch prime time network TV? [Trick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nada

Brooklyn 99 (which ended Sept 2021) and Jeopardy (watched for a few months after Alex passed) were the last two I regularly watched. No shows on the big 4 have had me interested enough to tune in since

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not in years. Just for sports.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not in years. Decades, probably. And yet I still feel like if I’m not on the couch plugged in to one of them at 8pm on weekday nights, I’m missing a banger. Could be Simon & SImon, could be Magnum PI, could be Dukes of Hazzard, could be Spielberg’s Amazing Stories.

And hour later things got a little edgy. Jeffersons, Three’s Company, Knight Rider, The Facts of Life, Love Boat. We’re talking golden age of childhood television here!

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. My wife and daughter do but by recording. I do watch local news, NBC affiliate.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes but not live, on Hulu or their App

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Survivor and sports on the weekend is about it. There are a couple of shows my wife watches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been catching up on Grey’s Anatomy while folding laundry. Not at the time it is broadcast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not in general since I stream using Sling, and then a few other app's (Peacock, etc).

But will for soprts or awards shows like the Oscars. Meet the Press on Sunday mornings. But since I no longer have these channels through cable or Direct, I need an antenna. And since I am practical (that is politically correct for cheap) I have a cord antenna that I suction cup to window. If the dog walks by or it is cloudy, the reception gets wonky, and I am up dangling the cord off the lamp or plant holder. It is like I am in 1986.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you are retired prime time is 24 hrs and still no, less the evening news with Lester.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven’t had cable tv since 2004…..so no.

Quote | Reply
Yes. We only watch what comes over the air for free. We use an HD Digital Antenna. While we don't watch lots, we have been regular viewers of The Voice & America's Got Talent. Mostly we watch PBS during prime time hours. Nature, Nova, Frontline, Masterpiece Theater are among the shows we watch every week.

We have zero interest in paying to watch TV. No cable, no satellite dish, no streaming.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trick wrote:
Besides live sports, prime time on ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox seems like a bit of a wasteland. I saw an ad today for Law and Order..WTF that series is still on??!! Seinfeld was about last prime time show I regularly watched.

Not in decades.

Had a discussion with my father-in-law. He thought country music might be the most popular form of music right now (it isn't) because network TV is full of country music ads. I responded that the type of people who watch network TV are probably the type of people who listen to country.

Am I right, Ironclm?

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone still watch prime time network TV? [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a cord cutter as well and just get over the air channels. There are some interesting ones, MoviesTV, GRIT, Charge, Comet, H and I (old Hawaii 5-0 episodes!) etc. You can tell by the commercials that the demographics for these definitely tilt to the old folks, endless ads for medical equipment, medicare advantage plans, low cost prescriptions, etc
Last edited by: Trick: Jan 27, 23 15:41
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone still watch prime time network TV? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Trick wrote:

Not in decades.

Had a discussion with my father-in-law. He thought country music might be the most popular form of music right now (it isn't) because network TV is full of country music ads. I responded that the type of people who watch network TV are probably the type of people who listen to country.

Am I right, Ironclm?

No. I know lots of people who watch network TV, who I hate country music. I listen to it on occasion, but my main music is independent/alt rock.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone still watch prime time network TV? [jsivvy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsivvy wrote:
Haven’t had cable tv since 2004…..so no.

I haven’t had cable in many years. You can still watch network TV without cable.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trick wrote:
I am a cord cutter as well and just get over the air channels. There are some interesting ones, MoviesTV, GRIT, Charge, Comet, H and I (old Hawaii 5-0 episodes!) etc. You can tell by the commercials that the demographics for these definitely tilk to the old folks, endless ads for medical equipment, medicare advantage plans, low cost prescriptions, etc

I like watching MeTV, nothing but shows from the 50-70s. And when I finally reach the age demographic the commercials are targeted for, I'll already know what I need to do for insurance, cell phones, prescriptions, etc.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once in a while. Some sports, SNL, PBS.... we have a digital antenna, so it's free.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone still watch prime time network TV? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Trick wrote:
I am a cord cutter as well and just get over the air channels. There are some interesting ones, MoviesTV, GRIT, Charge, Comet, H and I (old Hawaii 5-0 episodes!) etc. You can tell by the commercials that the demographics for these definitely tilk to the old folks, endless ads for medical equipment, medicare advantage plans, low cost prescriptions, etc

I like watching MeTV, nothing but shows from the 50-70s. And when I finally reach the age demographic the commercials are targeted for, I'll already know what I need to do for insurance, cell phones, prescriptions, etc.

We also watch MeTV occasionally. Those old shows are somewhat corny, but still funny. There is another channel we watch occasionally as well - Dabl. The offering from the big networks tend toward crime shows with lots of violence and we have no interest in watching them. The newer sit-coms are often poorly written and uninteresting. One of the alternate channels has old reruns of the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and we'll watch it sometimes. He was much better than the current group of late night talk shows. Yes, the commercials on the alternate channels are much different and target older people, but they're no less annoying than the commercials on the big networks.

I think we get about 50 OTA channels. However, a few are shopping like QVC, some Spanish language channels and a couple religious channels. We probably watch 15 or fewer.

When we travel there are places where we've watched cable, and while there are more channels, few are anything we'd pay for. Plus there are endless commercials on cable and there's no way I will pay to watch commercials.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cut cable back in 2008. I miss the odd sporting event but honestly nothing else.

Whenever i catch a glimpse of Network news, especially US news, I'm honestly shocked at how bad it is. I can't believe people keep that garbage on in the background of their house.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone still watch prime time network TV? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
went to only streaming services a couple of years ago and it was a good decision to do so. I'd got into the habit of watching news channels as a default when eating lunch or just not looking for something to watch. Sometimes being a bit less informed on current events is the better option

And the question remains. where were you.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone still watch prime time network TV? [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't even call the news particularly informative. Most of it is just heavily biased opinion/entertainment and/or mind garbage. It's like the equivalent of junk food for your mind.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply