Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

And yet another mass shooting
Quote | Reply
Another mass shooting in america.

https://www.npr.org/...s-california-updates

Soon, the first page of the LR will just be mass shooting threads ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jan 24, 23 2:38
Quote Reply
Re: Another mass shooting [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But, but, but there is no gun problem in the US. Thoughts and prayers again.

This insanity won't stop because our political leadership lacks the fortitude to do what is obviously required.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Re: Another mass shooting [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2HaveFun wrote:
But, but, but there is no gun problem in the US. Thoughts and prayers again.

This insanity won't stop because our political leadership lacks the fortitude to do what is obviously required.

Not sure it is just our leadership that lacks fortitude ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People are now simply bored of mass shootings, such that they don’t even generate any thread traffic.

39 mass shootings in the first three weeks of the year.

“President Joe Biden urged Congress Monday to pass a pair of bills seeking to ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines and raise the purchasing age to 21, imploring lawmakers to “act quickly.”

Cue all the reasons why those bills will have no impact, and there’s nothing we can do to stop these events…

Quote Reply
Re: Another mass shooting [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
People are now simply bored of mass shootings, such that they don’t even generate any thread traffic.

“President Joe Biden urged Congress Monday to pass a pair of bills seeking to ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines and raise the purchasing age to 21, imploring lawmakers to “act quickly.”

Cue all the reasons why those bills will have no impact, and there’s nothing we can do to stop these events…

But we can do something.

Where are all the gun toting heroes, the good guys with guns ??

--
Quote Reply
Re: And yet another mass shooting [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So last night (or very early in the morning) in Yakima Washington a guy shoots and kills 3 people at a gas station and a Circle K for no apparent reason. He shot into a car before he stole it so there might be a 4th victim.
https://abcnews.go.com/...ge/story?id=96635522
Quote Reply
Re: And yet another mass shooting [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of these recent shootings was on the news this afternoon and it was stated that the gunman legally obtained his firearm. Would he have still done this if he had to go through training, take tests, get an extensive background check? Maybe, maybe not. Would having to jump through hoops given this person time to maybe change his mind, cool down, think rationally? Maybe maybe not. Again, just thinking out loud.

This is so sad and depressing. So many lives lost and so much senseless violence.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

But we can do something.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dailydgu
Quote Reply
Re: Another mass shooting [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

But we can do something.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dailydgu

That is so beautiful. And they go out kill those terrible evil wolves and their pups too. Wonderful heroes, every single one of them. You have renewed my faith in gun-totin' good guys.

--
Quote Reply
Re: And yet another mass shooting [travelgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelgirl wrote:
So last night (or very early in the morning) in Yakima Washington a guy shoots and kills 3 people at a gas station and a Circle K for no apparent reason. He shot into a car before he stole it so there might be a 4th victim.

https://abcnews.go.com/...ge/story?id=96635522

Similar circumstances but a very different outcome.

https://www.miamiherald.com/...rticle271022417.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

But we can do something.

https://i0.wp.com/....png?w=720&ssl=1
Quote Reply
Re: Another mass shooting [Mongo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mongo wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

But we can do something.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mongo wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

But we can do something.

Consider how few CCW licenses there are (.3% of California residents have CCW permit, for example) and how few of those people actually carry every day on their person, I'm guessing 10%.

So, now we're at .03% of the population. I'm guessing that CCW permits skew white and rural while mass shooters skew white (this could be wrong) and urban. Maybe that reduces the permit prevalence by another 50%??? So now we'd be at .015% of residents in the given area actually carrying.

Now you have to factor in "gun free zones" and all of the places like schools, night clubs, etc where carrying is not allowed. Unfortunately, it does seem to be where the mass shootings are most likely to occur.

If that reduces our likelihood of having a "good guy with a gun" present at one of these mass shooting events by another 75%, then we're at .01125%.

So, "where are the good guys with guns?" is pretty easily answered.

The probability is that they aren't there.
Last edited by: 307trout: Jan 24, 23 15:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
Mongo wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

But we can do something.

Consider how few CCW licenses there are (.3% of California residents have CCW permit, for example) and how few of those people actually carry every day on their person, I'm guessing 10%.

So, now we're at .03% of the population. I'm guessing that CCW permits skew white and rural while mass shooters skew white (this could be wrong) and urban. Maybe that reduces the permit prevalence by another 50%??? So now we'd be at .015% of residents in the given area actually carrying.

Now you have to factor in "gun free zones" and all of the places like schools, night clubs, etc where carrying is not allowed. Unfortunately, it does seem to be where the mass shootings are most likely to occur.

If that reduces our likelihood of having a "good guy with a gun" present at one of these mass shooting events by another 75%, then we're at .01125%.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/...393/GUN_SCATTER2.jpg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

More great data to show Mongos point and that the US is fucked up and has too many guns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

307trout,

Thank you for providing additional source data to support the data that I provided. I think we can both agree how out of control our gun violence is, as well as the level of guns in our population, when it results in a level of gun violence that even exceeds that of Venezuela, which is a barely functioning country ruled by a barbaric dictatorship.

Clearly, we want to compare our results to those in other "Advanced Countries", as in the graph I provided below, rather than in countries like Venezuela, Mexico, Columbia, and Guatemala (even though your graph shows we are worse than all of them), right? Right? Right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:

I haven't checked your numbers, but it seems like a good explanation.

But there is an easy solution to this. Just allow anyone to conceal carry any kind of firearm at any time in any location without licenses or restrictions. And maybe increase the number of guns in the usa from our piddly 400 million guns to maybe 5 BILLION guns. Now we're talkin'!

THEN we will finally be completely safe, as good guys with guns will literally be everywhere. (And we will finally be able to joyously kill every single living wolf and wolf pup in the usa. Two birds with one stone!)

Problem solved!

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mongo wrote:

307trout,

Thank you for providing additional source data to support the data that I provided. I think we can both agree how out of control our gun violence is, as well as the level of guns in our population, when it results in a level of gun violence that even exceeds that of Venezuela, which is a barely functioning country ruled by a barbaric dictatorship.

Clearly, we want to compare our results to those in other "Advanced Countries", as in the graph I provided below, rather than in countries like Venezuela, Mexico, Columbia, and Guatemala (even though your graph shows we are worse than all of them), right? Right? Right?

I guess it depends on if you consider the US to be an "advanced" country.

I guess by wealth or economic and military power we certainly are.

But culturally in modern times, we're selfish and narcissistic, entitled, tribal, generally competitive to a fault, violent in nearly everything we do, and we use our legal system as a weapon of manipulation for personal gain. Massive wealth disparity, drugs and gangs (which follow the wealth as their primary market), a healthcare system that causes massive anxiety and stress as a byproduct of it's for profit economic system...

I'm not so sure that the US is all that "advanced" and it doesn't surprise me that we're violent and heavily stressed.

Gun ownership and gun murders are both lower in the last decade than several decades before.

Mass shootings is a misleading statistic as it's mostly gang/drug related.

Active shooter events are certainly the media headliner and get all the attention, but actually account for a very small number of deaths per year.

Until there's enough will to amend the constitution to remove 2a, most of these discussions as beneficial as "hopes and prayers".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like everyone to open carry, rather than concealed carry.
Quote Reply
Re: Another mass shooting [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

Yes, if we could get every single adult above the age of 17 in america to do that, THEN we would finally be safe!

Where do l sign up?

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:

Until there's enough will to amend the constitution to remove 2a, most of these discussions as beneficial as "hopes and prayers".

Not necessarily a full repeal. Just a re-interpretation. The Supreme Court has repeatedly affirmed that strong regulation is consistent with 2A. The notion that the 2A means it's a free-for-all is more recent. Credit to NRA messaging.

There was recently a decades-long effort to re-interpret/repeal the key decision related to abortion. And it paid off big-time. It could happen to the 2A as well (Yes, I know abortion rights never had a full amendment so the analogy isn't perfect).

I agree it won't happen anytime soon. But it was persistence that worked for "pro life" activists. And some luck. (the timing of RBG's death)

Last edited by: trail: Jan 25, 23 11:13
Quote Reply
Re: Another mass shooting [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

I would rather people that carry open carry. Maybe even be required to open carry if you carry. That won't happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Another mass shooting [iBot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iBot wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

I would rather people that carry open carry. Maybe even be required to open carry if you carry. That won't happen.

I would like people who carry to balance the guns on their nose and clap their hands and say “arr! arr! arr!”

And then the rest of us will laugh at their foolishness.

All kidding aside, I’m pretty most people who need guns to feel safe aren’t brave enough to open carry. Res ipsa loquitur.
Quote Reply