Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman NZ Holy Cow! [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
lastlap wrote:

I'm still waiting for you to tell me how much faster a $15k bike is over a $1k bike...

As it happens, I went through that exercise for velogicfit https://www.youtube.com/...ajlvooKY&t=1322s
On an earlier occasion I'd built a bike for a friend for NZD 1000 (~600-700 USD depending on FX), alloy frame, basic parts. She qualified for Kona in her first 70.3.

Is that still a thing David - can you get to Kona on a 70.3 ticket? Sorry couldn't watch the video as sat here watching a Christmas movie with the kids.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NZ Holy Cow! [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:

Is that still a thing David - can you get to Kona on a 70.3 ticket? Sorry couldn't watch the video as sat here watching a Christmas movie with the kids.

Yes. There are 65 slots for women at the 2023 70.3 honu for the full kona Ironman.

https://www.ironman.com/...ampionship-2023-slot
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NZ Holy Cow! [TheProfessor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same. I canā€™t justify the Ironman entry fees and will never do another. Iā€™ll do sprints and bike racing ( $10 entry). I still have my 4K tt bike. Iā€™ll never upgrade that.

-----
What year did you do your IM and what was the entry fee you paid?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NZ Holy Cow! [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Same. I canā€™t justify the Ironman entry fees and will never do another. Iā€™ll do sprints and bike racing ( $10 entry). I still have my 4K tt bike. Iā€™ll never upgrade that.

-----

Where are you entering $10 bike races?

Even 15 years ago they would charge this much for some basically unofficial, twilight short TTs or something. But as far as a real bike race haven't seen anything under $40 in several years. The local weeknight crits (not even USC, local WSBA) are $20 here (Seattle), I think I was paying $20-$25 last year in OR for the same type of thing (short twilight races, 45 minutes or less).
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NZ Holy Cow! [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

-----

My last Ironman was kona 2009. Have done plenty of 70.3s with my last in Goa in 2019.

Iā€™d like to travel to Taupo 70.3 and also do wanaka, but as for fulls, nope. No more.

How much was kona in 09? I canā€™t remember exactly but about $450? Iā€™m sure someone can correct me.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NZ Holy Cow! [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$15 Aud
and $12 on a Thurday

Get a comped soft drink and if good enough get to race pros

Canberra australia
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NZ Holy Cow! [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

-----

Where are you entering $10 bike races?

Even 15 years ago they would charge this much for some basically unofficial, twilight short TTs or something. But as far as a real bike race haven't seen anything under $40 in several years. The local weeknight crits (not even USC, local WSBA) are $20 here (Seattle), I think I was paying $20-$25 last year in OR for the same type of thing (short twilight races, 45 minutes or less).

Sorry.
Wednesday evening is $10
Saturday afternoon is $10
Sunday morning is $15 (online only)

Wednesday and Saturday is one club. Sunday is another.

Wednesday and Saturday are on a closed motorbike learner course so only the start and finish official needed and medical.
Sunday is in an industrial estate north of the city. So its open Roads but countrolled by Marshallā€™s
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NZ Holy Cow! [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can think of a couple of things that would have shaved the numbers down a bit.

NZ borders only fully opened mid-year, so Covid is still coming in waves rather than being a more constant background or seasonal illness. The third wave peak is happening in December. I haven't seen the DNS figures for IMNZ 22, but I wouldn't bet against them being quite a bit higher than usual.

IronMaori are normally the single largest group represented at IMNZ and they held their first ever full distance race the week before the December race. Significantly, their race opened for entries before the IMNZ date change was announced. I know a few people opted to do both, but others (I'd guess at maybe as much as 100) had already committed to IronMaori Toa and switched their entry to either 2023 or a different Oceania race.

December is very early season in NZ, the Taupo 70.3 works okay, but training for a full through the tail of winter and early spring is nowhere near as appealing as training through summer.

Incidentally, IronMaori Toa was absolutely fantastic. I'm in no way trying to disparage IMNZ which is also a great race, but if you want to get a real feeling for New Zealand hospitality then Toa should absolutely be on your bucket list.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NZ Holy Cow! [45South] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Todays race done and dusted with Mike Phillips winning. Cam brown took 7th 8.42 last pro race. No mention at all here?. it was a big race here on the Calendar in the Gordo Byrn days...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NZ Holy Cow! [Chuckie M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chuckie M wrote:
Todays race done and dusted with Mike Phillips winning. Cam brown took 7th 8.42 last pro race. No mention at all here?. it was a big race here on the Calendar in the Gordo Byrn days...

I think it was big on ST back then because Bjorn, Clas, Jonas and Gordo were also actively posting here. We have lost the pros posting on ST from the trenches so we don't quite have that engagement with races that the majority of STers are not doing or no ST pros are posting from.

How old is Cam Brown now? He must be close to 50? Cranking out an 8:42 is amazing!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NZ Holy Cow! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Chuckie M wrote:

I think it was big on ST back then because Bjorn, Clas, Jonas and Gordo were also actively posting here. We have lost the pros posting on ST from the trenches so we don't quite have that engagement with races that the majority of STers are not doing or no ST pros are posting from.

How old is Cam Brown now? He must be close to 50? Cranking out an 8:42 is amazing!

Almost 51 years of age.
Amazing!

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NZ Holy Cow! [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Chuckie M wrote:

Almost 51 years of age.
Amazing!

Jeroen

Keeping with the theme that 30-34 and 35-39 and 40-44 age group world champions are in the pro field not age group, Cam takes it to another level.....50-54 world champion....I guess Vino has no chance against Cam!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NZ Holy Cow! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cam looked the most uncomfortable I've seen him, but still under 10mins slower than the slowest of his winning times (8.32.54 in 2002)
As part of my OC analysis of IMNZ I've been tracking the CBI (Cameron Brown Index)

The last 3 years have really impacted the performance of the index, the 20 year downwards trend has finally ended
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NZ Holy Cow! [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Intrigued how you would rate the race conditions on sat vs in December?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NZ Holy Cow! [ALBUS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ALBUS wrote:
Intrigued how you would rate the race conditions on sat vs in December?

I haven't done post analysis yet, but pre analysis suggested that the times would be the same based on environmental conditions.
On the day it was hotter and windier than forecast, though the wind didn't pick up until late so the leaders wouldn't have been affected
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NZ Holy Cow! [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah. We used, in the before times, to have Taupō 70.3 in a December and IMNZ in March. The only real difference in the weather is that the lake is a good bit cooler in December. Training wise itā€™s actually easier to run and be ready for December because once youā€™re into proper summer the heat makes it a lot harder.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NZ Holy Cow! [mongooseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced imnz first time this year and am sure I'm the only person who was frozen from start to finish, the swim was cold, and despite plastic bubblewrap inside my tri suit I was cold on the bike and finished run in daylight but never really thawed out, goosebumps for much of the run and rides. Big surprise to learn others found it hot. Wind was fairly decent coming back from Reperoa and run has one decent hill in it, loved loved loved the course.

CAM brown was a lion. What an inspiration... Whole race was amazing actually.will be back for sure.
Last edited by: Kipstar: Mar 10, 23 21:21
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NZ Holy Cow! [45South] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fully agree on IronMāori. I did their full distance duathlon in Wairarapa in 2015 and it was one of the most enjoyable events Iā€™ve ever done. Amazing that theyā€™ve built up to a full 140.6 too.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NZ Holy Cow! [Kipstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you enjoyed it! I probably wonā€™t do it again as Iā€™m pretty much running only these days, but it has a big place in my heart (and that of a great many others here). Iā€™ve done a bunch of other swim only events in the lake, with the best one being Across the Lake. You start at first light over in Acacia Bay and swim across. Edge of the hill is about the only thing to sight on!

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NZ Holy Cow! [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cairns tomorrow.

A lot of spare women spots on offer to kona
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NZ Holy Cow! [Slowrunner711] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowrunner711 wrote:
Cairns tomorrow. A lot of spare women spots on offer to kona
This is related to Ironman NZ how?