Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: World's Best Wine (maybe) [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$100000 for a cabinet?? What is it made of?
Quote Reply
Re: World's Best Wine (maybe) [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's kind of a cabinet, kind of a display closet thing, but not quite a dedicated wine room. It has floor to ceiling sealed glass doors that slide back and forth for access (those were like $50k, so, the bulk of the cost), then some Douglas Fir millwork, a really neat cable system to suspend a few hundred bottles of wine, a dedicated temp/humidity control unit, some electrical lighting and a shit ton of skilled labour hours... It adds up...

I'm doing a pretty major renovation on my house right now. New kitchen, countertops, ripped out a masonry fireplace from the chimney all the way down to the foundation, new sub floor and finished floors, new trim throughout, new doors etc. Total budget is around $120k. So I'm redoing essentially the entire top floor of my house for nearly the same cost as this wine cabinet.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: World's Best Wine (maybe) [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I'm currently building a roughly $100,000 wine cabinet for a client. I'll pass the word on to pick up a few bottles.

Does the wine store carry it?
Quote Reply
Re: World's Best Wine (maybe) [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It always makes me laugh when they say "pair this with lamb" or "this goes best with blah blah blah". Yeah, just put it in a glass and I will pair with my stomach. THanks
Quote Reply
Re: World's Best Wine (maybe) [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to think the same thing, and then I went to a cooking class that was focused on cooking for wine pairings. It makes a difference.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: World's Best Wine (maybe) [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Australia makes a lot of great wine. I would enjoy a Tasmanian pinot much better. The best pinots are from France and Tasmania IMHO. I don't have the wine vocabulary to properly describe but I think these pinot have a thinness and minerality that I like. California and New Zealand a bit to jammy.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: World's Best Wine (maybe) [spockman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spockman wrote:
California and New Zealand a bit to jammy.

You've only had NZ pinot from Marlborough then. Grab a bottle from Central Otago.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: World's Best Wine (maybe) [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip. I will try

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply

Prev Next