Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: There is something rotten in America [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Oh, I heat the house with electricity too. Talk about stupid."

You're in Florida. How much home heating do you really have to do?

"I understand that the economics of gas have been up and down over the years, but that must be in part because it is not an efficient market. You can's ship it where you need it. Therefore you don't or can't build the pipelines. Chicken and egg."

We're back to Art's world, where those lunatics in his head have blocked all development everywhere. Meanwhile, in reality, natural gas distribution even in Florida is growing rapidly. Record growth in pipeline construction and gas movement has occurred in the last 5 years, again, even in Florida despite the argument that you "don't or can't build the pipelines." How do you reconcile record growth in pipeline and gas delivery in Florida with your belief system?

Did you figure out where anyone said we didn't need electricity Art?

When you live in a world of absolutes, Art, you live on the lunatic fringe. Especially when you say that there's no development even in the face of record setting development. It is a bizarro world you seem to live in, and one which is very disturbing to me. I hope you find your way back to reality. You're a smart guy and have some amazingly great thoughts. In this area though, you are very much misinformed and reckless in your statements.

Take care. I'm out.

Quote | Reply
I knew your comments about off shore oil drilling were spin, but I just didn't have the information to prove it.

Now I do:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CONGRESS_ENERGY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-05-18-20-32-34

Short version is that off shore oil drilling ban for 85% of the country remains in place.

Sorry, just 85% right.

In Reply To
Actually the policy is to not drill for oil anywhere, not Alaska, not the Gulf (let Mexico and Castro take that) and not offshore anywhere.

Additionally, build zero refineries. Don't allow construction of LNG terminals. Don't allow wind mills or nuclear power plants or additional coal fired power plants. Don't modernize the power distribution grid.

Once those policies are in place, then whine about increased prices or shortages. Hold hearings in Congress, listen to congressmen rant against the enemies of the people, and pull the people that actually produce the energy in front of the cameras to be castigated.

So far, we are right on plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're just too funny Art. I can't believe, after all you wrote in this thread, that you're bringing it back up again.

Art's world: No new natural gas pipelines in Florida.

Reality: EIA reports a record setting pace over the past five years in new pipeline construction in Florida. 1,500 miles of pipelines built in one year.

Art's world: NIMBY's and BANANA responsible for no new LNG terminals.

Reality: LNG processing requires a minumum of $4/MMBTU. From the early 80s until recently, the price stayed pretty consistently under $3 with a few spikes here and there. Art thinks private industry was clamoring to build LNG plants so that they could lose money. Meanwhile, people who know something about it (those respected, authoritative people in the industry) were closing existing plants because they weren't making money. Reality is that you don't know anything about LNG yet continue to use that as a foundation for your bizarro arguments.

I'm curious Art. Would you be willing to sacrifice the billions in tourist revenue that Florida's private companies earn each year in order to open up drilling just off your coast that might translate into a few million a year in royalties to government agencies?

The hits just keep on coming Art. Keep it going. This is fun.

Quote | Reply
You might have me on the LNG numbers. I just don't know.

I also don't know why billions of tourist dollars would be sacrificed by drilling a few wells. I am going on memory here, but I seem to remember that New Orleans used to a tourist spot despite wells off that coast. I have never heard that argument down here. I have only heard the world will be destroyed by immediate and massive oil spills argument. Snore.

There is always a reason to not drill everywhere. Tourist dollars here, caribou in Alaska, whatever.

Glad to see you don't dispute the 85% right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I also don't know why billions of tourist dollars would be sacrificed by drilling a few wells."

Uh, that was cited in the article you posted. Did you bother to read that article or did you just find a stat that you liked and posted it.

85%? Like I said, when you live in a world of extremes where there is NO drilling anywhere, NO pipelines, NO wind development and the like, then you are 100% wrong. That's what happens when you live in a binary world. You say NO drilling anywhere offshore. I point out that there's record setting amounts of drilling offshore, record amounts of pipeline construction, and record amounts of wind development. I'm right, you're wrong. Nananananananana!

Quote | Reply
"I'm right, you're wrong."

Laughing. OK, busted on the hyperbole.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You might have me on the LNG numbers. I just don't know.

Art never lets his ignorance stand in the way when he's made up his mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not trying to beat a dead horse or anything, just providing information on LNG terminals and demand.

There is currently 3,700 MMcf per day capacity.

Another 8,200 MMcf is currently under construction (contradicts the author who says that we can't build any)

Another 11,300 MMcf has been approved for construction

Another 24,000 MMcf is in application

There will not be any shortage of LNG capacity until 2012, and that is only if none of the facilities approved for construction end up being built.

Quote | Reply
Consider the dead horse appropriately beaten.
Quote Reply

Prev Next