Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Transitions with shoes on the bike
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for some pointers in learning how to leave T1 (and enter T2) with my shoes already on my bike. I've seen athletes coming back into T2 with thier shoes still attached, though I've never seen how they get into them in the first place. I tried it briefly on my indoor trainer and the task seemed utterly hopeless. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Transitions with shoes on the bike [cstetson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remember, it's very important to practice falling over without shoes BEFORE you do it during the race...that way, when you are lying on your back with the bike pointed at the clouds, you know what to expect...like your aerobottle emptying all over your face...
Quote Reply
Practice the 'cross dismount lots [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I leave my shoes on the bike at T1 and entering T2. Practice the cyclocross dismount. Well in advance of the T2 line, have both feet out of the shoes (pedaling on top of the shoe). When approaching the line, put all of your weight on one foot (the left for me) and swing your other leg around the back of the saddle. At this point you should be steering with both hands and hanging off the side of you bike standing on one foot. Right at the line hop off and start running. This is by far the fastest way. Make sure to practice lots before doing it in a race. It's amazing how fast you can come into Transitions (if it's safe). Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cstetson-

What I normally recommend is that you practice this, weather permitting, every time that you get on your bike for a ride. That means walk outside in your socks with your shoes already clipped into your pedals and practice getting into your shoes at the beginning of your ride, and when you return home leave your shoes clipped into your pedals and take your feet out, pedalling the last few hundred meters with your feet on top of your shoes. The indoor trainer is a good place to practice as well, so what you are already doing is great if you are doing some of your rides indoors. It might be difficult to get the hang of initially, so might require more than brief attention. In addition, the shoes that you are using might be a factor in the difficulty that you are experiencing. Most triathlon shoes are designed with this technique in mind and therefore are equipped with the one large strap that is so common among them and they usually have no neoprene or other fabrics that are grippy when wet. What type of shoes do you have? Make sure that they are open wide before you get on your bike, with all of the velcro undone as much as it can be. You are on the right track in trying to learn this technique, and it is a good time of year to do so. Once you have it down you will have plenty of time to practice before you use your skills in a race, and the time savings shouldn't be underestimated, especially in short course events. This is one of those areas that are often talked about where you can get free time through developing your skills.

Geoffrey Nenninger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Practice a lot on an indoor trainer before you try it in the real world. Not every transition area lends itself to that tactic. Once you get it down in the trainer then practice outside under more realistic conditions. I think you need to practice this maybe 50 times before you try it in a race to be extra safe. Having the right shoes and using Bodyglide helps too.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Transitions with shoes on the bike [GDNenn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using Shimano TR01 shoes. Thanks for the help!

-
It is said that if you want to know what you were doing in the past, look at your body now; if you want to know what will happen to you in the future, look at what your mind is doing now. - H.H. Dalai Lama
Quote Reply
Re: T1 Technique using Velcro [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as leaving T1 this is the best technique I have heard of:

7. HERE'S TO A FAST T-1

Make sure your biking shoes are secured to the bike pedals. Pre-position the LEFT crank straight forward so you will be able to step into the shoe after passing the mount line. Secure the side of the shoe's heal cup with a small piece of velcro to the crank (which also has a small bit of velcro). This will hold the shoe in place until you step into it. The shoe on the right side should be positioned in a like manner except UPSIDE DOWN. Once your left foot is in its shoe, rotate the crank 180 degrees, bringing the right shoe around to its correct position.

You will still need to start pedalling with your feet on top of the shoes.

I read this at:

http://www.chicagoaa.com/...tstriathletes03.html
Quote Reply
Re: Transitions with shoes on the bike [GDNenn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"you practice this, weather permitting, every time that you get on your bike for a ride. That means walk outside in your socks with your shoes already clipped into your pedals and practice getting into your shoes at the beginning of your ride, and when you return home leave your shoes clipped into your pedals and take your feet out, pedalling the last few hundred meters with your feet on top of your shoes. "

This is exactly what I do, but who the heck ever wears socks!!!

Seriously, I "transition" every time I ride and after a while you learn to do it. It just takes practice.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: T1 Technique using Velcro [DanP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lance Watson, at a transition clinic at the LA tri, said he uses rubber bands to tie the pedals/shoes to the chain stay. First pedal stroke breaks the rubber band.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: T1 Technique using Velcro [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dental floss works too.

The big thing is to make sure you get up some speed before you try to put your feet into the shoes. Makes it a lot easier.

And practice practice practice. Every time you're riding, start and end your rides this way.
Quote Reply
Re: T1 Technique using Velcro [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a large photo so you can see how I use a rubberband to hold my shoes horizontal. Run, jump right in and start pedaling. Strap in after your up to speed. Works like a charm.

Quote Reply
Re: T1 Technique using Velcro [gottabekidding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(I know this sounds dumb, but) don't the rubber bands break when you get your first foot in and rotate the crank for the second? Or, do you put both feet in with the shoes parallel to the ground, pedal (and then break the bands), and then tighten the straps ?
Quote Reply
Re: T1 Technique using Velcro [shredder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually the rubberbands stretch for a crank rotation or two. Sometimes that don't break at all, depending n the thickness of the rubberband. But even then, just a quick swipe with your hand and they break. No biggie. What I try to do is hop on the seat and get both feet in at one time. This takes practice to get it right. But once you've got it, you can save a ton of time getting on the bike and going. Just make sure you don't run into those that are clipping in just after the mount line. Been there done that when it's crowded.
Quote Reply
Re: T1 Technique using Velcro [gottabekidding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rubber bands are just there so you don't have to start fumbling with the shoes trying to get your feet on them. Once you do, start pedaling until you are going at a decent speed that'll keep you stable (if you go too sleep you can lose your balance and crash). Get your shoes into the 6 and 12 position and grab the ankle part of your shoe with one hand, while the other hand stabilizies your bike. Slip in your foot, tighten the strap, and startr pedaling to regain your speed and do the same for the other shoe. If you do this fast enough you won't have to pedal between 'slip-ins'.

Coming into T2 is a lot easier. About 200m from the line stop pedaling and unstrap one of your shoes. Push the back of the shoe down (the V part) and get your foot off. Do the same for the other shoe. Then when you're about 10m from the line bring one leg over and balance while you roll over those last few meters, put one shoe down and start running like mad (just try not to fall when putting your foot down, it happens a lot).
Quote Reply
Re: Transitions with shoes on the bike [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think you need to practice this maybe 50 times before you try it in a race to be extra safe. Having the right shoes and using Bodyglide helps too.

Ha. The day before my second career duathlon (last August), one of my platform pedal adaptors (remember them?) broke after about 15 years. I used liberal amounts of duct tape to change my cycling shoes (with laces) into triathlon shoes to keep the straps from coming loose and make them easier to grab, to keep the tongue from sliding down with my foot, and to make the heel easier to grab. I replaced the laces with some rubber bands tied together. I practiced this about 5 times that day, and once the morning of the race. Won my age group by :04 :-)

Ken Lehner

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: T1 Technique using Velcro [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be careful how you do your 'Hi! Yo! Silver!' mount. OUCH!!??

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Transitions with shoes on the bike [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the body glide for when it comes to shoes?

Thanks,

Trisha
Quote Reply
Re: Transitions with shoes on the bike [webgal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to make it easier to slip your feet into them. Wet bare feet don't slide in too easily sometimes.
Quote Reply