Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Premier League - New Season [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
master v his former assistant. A bit like Ted Lasso and Nate.....if Ted were actually a good coach.

And the question remains. where were you.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier League - New Season [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
echappist wrote:
And today, we have a six-pointer at the top of the table. Pep’s menacing team rounding into form vs Arteta’s squad beset by injuries and creeping inconsistencies.

Regardless of what happens today, really seems to illustrate how important a deep squad is and managing player workload.

That's almost always the case. Arsenal got royally screwed over in the Europa League match: knocked out of the competition and a few key players suffered injuries.

There are those who mocked Klopp for "not respecting the domestic cups", but I'd say Klopp rightfully focused on the main prize (EPL and UCL).

Arteta, unfortunately, is still a bit too callow. Went all in for both EPL and for Europa, when in reality he should have prioritized. He'll learn in due time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pep does this part of the job so well. Don't hear many (or any) complaints from City players about the amount of game time they are getting - even from guys who were first on the teamsheet at other clubs and are now squad players at city. Some move on - but not many.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With two games in hand, if City can just grab a point...

Going to be fun to watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier League - New Season [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:
With two games in hand, if City can just grab a point...

Going to be fun to watch.

If Haaland was his usually self they'd be up at least 5 or 6 to nothing with 15 minutes to go. Wiping the floor with them.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier League - New Season [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was fun to watch for 45 minutes; jeez this CIty team looks good. It may not accumulate 100 points, but it looks a lot less brittle than some of the other City teams. Pep's teams have always generated loads of chances; now City has someone with a really good conversion rate as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier League - New Season [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Utter dominance. Long way to go, but they are in the drivers seat for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier League - New Season [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am almost resigned to Leeds getting relegated. They deserve it with how they have played this season. The players they have should have been good enough to stay in the league but at times have looked a shambles. Maybe if it hadn't been for the shoulder injury to Rodrigo, or some other random event, things could have been different, but every team has their share of good and bad luck. i thought Southampton, Forrest, and Bournemouth were the worst teams in the league at the start, but the two newly promoted teams got better as the season went on, while others, like Leeds got worse.

Even the bad teams at the bottom of the league have good players. Will be interesting to see which players get bought by EPL teams if their team gets relegated.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't been as close to the EPL as usual, since the world cup ended....

As a kid, I used to be a fan of Forest. In recent years I saw and felt good to see them get promoted and back to the top league... and then relegated at the end of the season. And repeat this pattern again for a few seasons.

Just checked and saw that they're only 3 pts clear of the bottom three. Other than Southampton, still looks tight at the bottom of the table.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier League - New Season [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bottom is pretty tight (with everton/nottingham forest controlling their own destiny). But 2 of the 4 of everton/leicester/leeds/forest are going to be relegated.

Historically, what has been the quickest someone has own the league or FA cup been relegated? Leicester wont the league in 16? and FA cup in 18?

What the longest a team has ever played in the premier league and been relegated? I dont know when the last time everton was relegated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
either Luton or Coventry will be in the EPL next season. Both of these clubs have been through so much in the past few years it will be great to see them back in the top division.

Coventry were in the top division for decades without ever being very good. Then they had a few successive relegations all the way down to the fourth tier, and had to play their home games in Northampton. Now they are on the verge of 3 quick promotions all the way back to the top division; all with the same manager.

Luton were one of the teams that were in and out of the top division in the 80s, but the bottom fell out financially and they quickly descended to the National League (or whatever it was called then). They were promoted from the National League in 2014 (practically yesterday) after 5 years, and now have a 50/50 chance of being back in the top tier. Like the Wrexham fairy tale taken to its conclusion.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't see either of them staying up more than one season to be honest, unless Luton find a sugar daddy like Bournemouth. Their spending ability based on crowds of 10,000 max will be severely limited.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier League - New Season [dah5609] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doesn't Nick Owen count?

i also think it will be very difficult. The championship has been so crowded below the top 2 for most of the season that a few good or bad results could move a team between playoff contention and battling to avoid the drop. Slightly above average championship teams aren't going to be good enough so they will have to invest and hope. Always interesting to see how promoted teams adapt from being one of the best and having the ball most of the time, to being one of the worst and spending most of the games defending.

i saw Luton's ground isn't up to prem requirements so if promoted they have to do a lot of improvements to the ground they have, while in the process of constructing a new one.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's done, Man City win the EPL again. I watched the Nottingham v Arsenal game, that decided it. It was cool to see Nottingham clinch safety. They have a great home crowd and they went crazy.

City win 3 in a row, it's hard to do and doesn't happen a lot.
Quote Reply

Prev Next