Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Distances of the buoys in Kona
Quote | Reply
There are these white pillar buoys. Attached to the farthest one is an orange triangular buoy. Let's call that the first one.
From the beach out and back to the third orange triangle buoy I measure 2175m with my Fenix 6. I start and stop with the water to my knees.

Also comparing values to the 1/3 mile buoy on former years with another watch, I have the feeling (and I hope
:-) that my Fenix 6 measures too little.

Someone out there who can share the distance from the beach to the third buoy (distance in miles is also thankfully accepted)
Quote Reply
Re: Distances of the buoys in Kona [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was there in May, there was a 0.6 mile turnaround buoy...1.2 miles round trip or basically 1900m. I don't recall an orange triangular one, but I was literally bobbing around the 0.6 mile buoy when I came across a local swim group who said that was the 0.6 mile turnaround. It sound like that is what you are talking about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam twice this week to the third orange triangle buoy. My Apple watch recorded 2125 m the first swim and 2175 today. This is pretty close to your measurement as there are multiple lines that can be swam to that buoy.
Quote Reply
Re: Distances of the buoys in Kona [driver_ian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
driver_ian wrote:
I swam twice this week to the third orange triangle buoy. My Apple watch recorded 2125 m the first swim and 2175 today. This is pretty close to your measurement as there are multiple lines that can be swam to that buoy.

mmmm, thanks, seems to be on spot the same value (my 2175 is an average of 2165 on one day and 2185 on another day).
Quote Reply
Re: Distances of the buoys in Kona [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
When I was there in May, there was a 0.6 mile turnaround buoy...1.2 miles round trip or basically 1900m. I don't recall an orange triangular one, but I was literally bobbing around the 0.6 mile buoy when I came across a local swim group who said that was the 0.6 mile turnaround. It sound like that is what you are talking about.

Thanks, but that must have been another buoy. The orange triangular ones were just placed 2 or 3 days ago.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Sep 28, 22 14:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ve yet to memorize them šŸ™ˆ but google earth has an extremely accurate ā€œrulerā€ you can measure them with. Given the new buoys just places wonā€™t be on the map, youā€™ll have to estimate where it is
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ve been swimming to the second large orange bouy and back and assume it was 1.2k Man I hope so or else my swimming is not where it should be.
Quote Reply
Re: Distances of the buoys in Kona [dnfkona2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dnfkona2000 wrote:
Iā€™ve been swimming to the second large orange bouy and back and assume it was 1.2k Man I hope so or else my swimming is not where it should be.

I measured 1088m today. So if your assumption is right, my assumption is right that my watch shows too little. What does "assume" mean? Did you only measure the time or did you measure the distance too?
Quote Reply