Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another obvious death penalty candidate
Quote | Reply
https://wgntv.com/...m_content=share-link

I mean killing a three year old on tape is sufficient evidence for you guys, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Another obvious death penalty candidate [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
https://wgntv.com/news/chicagocrime/family-3-year-old-pushed-off-navy-pier-by-aunt-has-died?utm_source=wgntv_app&utm_medium=social&utm_content=share-link

I mean killing a three year old on tape is sufficient evidence for you guys, right?

Well to follow my right wing, anti-abortion friends.. it says THOU SHALL NOT KILL.

So sorry no, not a supporter of capital punishment.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Another obvious death penalty candidate [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:
https://wgntv.com/news/chicagocrime/family-3-year-old-pushed-off-navy-pier-by-aunt-has-died?utm_source=wgntv_app&utm_medium=social&utm_content=share-link

Well to follow my right wing, anti-abortion friends.. it says THOU SHALL NOT KILL.

So you're absolute pro-life? Interesting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:

No I am anti-Death Penalty just using the argument I hear from my pro-life friends who are also pro-death penalty even though there arguement is Thou Shall not kill...

In the world of not opening a slippery slope I am no exceptions on Capital punishment. As we all know even video can be manipulated now. I'll take some scum living 80 yrs in prison, vs killing one wrongfully charged individual.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Another obvious death penalty candidate [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
As we all know even video can be manipulated now. .

JFC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best Jim Carey movie ever.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:

I'm all for the death penalty, although I've heard of the conditions inmates are kept in in supermax prisons, a fate worse than death perhaps? Locked in a cell 23 hours a day - I think I'd opt for the death penalty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Insanity plea - she's crazy
Quote Reply
Re: Another obvious death penalty candidate [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChiTownJack wrote:
windywave wrote:

Insanity plea - she's crazy

Duh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

I simply don't condone the state ever killing one of its citizens (outside the immediate need for a cop to stop a threat). I am perfectly OK with locking people up and throwing away the key.

I just don't see the purpose of revenge. Remove the threat by putting it in a box until it dies. You are already taking away their life by doing that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can guarantee that zero innocent people will be put to death, then I would support death penalty. But that's not possible so...

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Another obvious death penalty candidate [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll support the death penalty when it can undo the killing of that 3 year old. Without that, it's just state sponsored vengeance.
Quote Reply
Re: Another obvious death penalty candidate [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
If you can guarantee that zero innocent people will be put to death, then I would support death penalty. But that's not possible so...

I'm saying specifically in this case.....on video they have her killing that toddler
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's not how it works.

Sure in this particular case, yes.

But to open it up for this case you must open it up for other cases in which mistakes can happen.

So, until you can 100% guarantee that you have the right person 100% of the time...

That's a no for me.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This case reminds me of the grandpa putting the baby on the window ledge and letting the baby fall out of the window of the cruise ship.

From the families’ perspective, they have lost both the baby and the loved adult family member. The family feels sorrow and grief. They probably feel anger. They probably feel confusion about why an adult would commit an insane act like this.

Killing the grandpa or aunt (who both probably have a mental defect of some kind) isn’t going to mitigate a loss. It only makes the loss of the adult permanent. So punitive killing isn’t a balm to loss.

Is revenge going to mitigate anger? Anger and revenge are basic feelings and typically are not considered elevated or advanced thinking. They give rise to heat-of-the-moment behavior. If the aunt was angry at the little kid for misbehaving and threw him in the lake because of that, revengeful killing of her is similar to her act. Why would we condemn anger/revenge in her but we think it’s okay for us?
Last edited by: Barks&Purrs: Sep 27, 22 9:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Quote:
As we all know even video can be manipulated now. .

JFC

i think Dav is commenting on a general situation rather than this specific one. Meaning that going forward video may not be the be all and end all of evidence.

but to this murder, is it the case that (currently) incontrovertible video evidence makes a conviction faster and less vulnerable to appeals?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:

I'm saying specifically in this case.....on video they have her killing that toddler

So put her away forever and be done with it. Other than fulfilling an urge for vengeance the death penalty doesn't accomplish anything. And I get that this woman is as certainly guilty as we can get. But then the definition of "certainly guilty" gets stretched over time and we are back to executing innocent people.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply