Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USWE Packs
Quote | Reply
In Steamboat, I just used bottles, but I've been considering using a pack for future long distance races (both gravel cycling and mountain biking.....such as Unbound and/or Leadville). In the past, I've not enjoyed riding with a pack, but the USWE versions seem to ride up higher so you can still reach your back pockets if needed. I've seen a few mentions, on here, of others who use USWE packs but I was curious if anyone has a specific USWE pack they prefer, and why? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: USWE Packs [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the exact reason you mentioned (USWE packs ride up higher so that you have access to your bike jersey pockets), I purchased a 4L Dirt Bike hydration pack. Reason I picked this besides it only being 15.5" from top to bottom is that it came with the full 3L hydration bladder. I won't go on any rides longer than 2-3 hours without it. It has room in the outer pack for cash, id and phone as needed. At first, I thought the pack would cause some breathing issues as it fit tight (there is an adjustment for small/large), but there were no actual issues when I used it for the first time. Highly recommend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Outlander Pro 2L , it fits good and doesn’t bounce around.
I rarely go over 3 hr if needed I carry a additional bottle on the frame.
Before the Outlander I had a camel back, rides too low on the back and bounces.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't get along with the USWE pack on my back, but I really wanted to. I like the front straps though. It's true that the USWE style opens access to back pockets. However, it sat high enough that it was trying to slide up my somewhat curved spine and sit on the base of my neck on my drop bar bike constantly. I would rather use my Osprey packs and not need rear pockets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a camelback "chase" pack. It also sits above the pockets, similar to the USWE. I like it, but i think if i was going to buy a pack today I would look hard at the USWE. One of the people i usually ride with has the USWE and he loves it. His does not have front pockets (but maybe that's an add on?). I use my front pockets to carry food, so losing them would be disappointing; however, I feel like the front pockets may have been one of many reasons why i tended to overheat while wearing my Chase vest. Even though the shoulder straps are mesh, the pack still felt hot in the 100+ degree heat we had where i live this summer. I think the front pockets block a lot of the airflow.

I used the chase vest at leadville a few years ago. I took it off at twin lakes before climbing columbine and planned to put it back on after descending columbine, but i was so much more comfortable without it that i just left it off for the rest of the day.

The USWE might be more comfortable and allow more airflow than my Chase vest with it's large front pockets that block your chest.

On most road and gravel rides I would prefer to have a bottle (or bottles) in my pockets vs a pack, but at a certain distance between stops a pack is almost necessary. On a MTB it's a little different because it's way easier to drink from a pack than it is a bottle.

One more thing about packs... when racing, I'm always thinking that my pack bladder is just about empty. Since I can't see it, my brain just assumes each sip will be the last one and my brain tells me i need to stop drinking in order to conserve it. With bottles i can easily see/feel how much i have left.
Last edited by: rob_bell: Aug 23, 22 15:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An USWE would work for you unless you’re on the shorter side. I’m 5’8” and have a 9L Airborne that I use mostly for MTB. But I did just use it this past weekend in Colorado for the Double Bypass bike event (68 mile road event), and it’s just high enough to that I could reach my phone and other stuff in the back of my bike jersey.

I also like that it has a single clasp in the front with no loose straps, rather than the typical double clips on most cycling backpacks that have straps hanging all over the place.
Quote Reply
Re: USWE Packs [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
An USWE would work for you unless you’re on the shorter side. I’m 5’8” and have a 9L Airborne that I use mostly for MTB. But I did just use it this past weekend in Colorado for the Double Bypass bike event (68 mile road event), and it’s just high enough to that I could reach my phone and other stuff in the back of my bike jersey.

I also like that it has a single clasp in the front with no loose straps, rather than the typical double clips on most cycling backpacks that have straps hanging all over the place.

I'm 6'4" so I hope it will work fine.

Just ordered the Outlander 3L Hydration Pack. Wanted the Outlander Pro but they were all sold out. The Outlander 3L looks like it can be converted to the Outlander Pro by simply removing the on/off organizer pocket attached to the back. Thanks for sharing all of your ideas/opinions.
Quote Reply
Re: USWE Packs [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quick update from my post above:

I just bought an USWE Outlander Pro. I put it on for the second time on Saturday for a hot(ish) 130 mile ride. It was SOOOO comfortable. I liked it a thousand times more than the Camelback Chase that i have.

For the first ride, i did some Golden Cheetah aerolab testing to see if i could replicate Dylan Johnson's results showing that this pack made him more aero. Long story short, based on my testing I am not more aero with this pack than without the pack, but it's not a very big penalty and worth it for the ability to carry 2 extra liters for certain races.
Quote Reply
Re: USWE Packs [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How'd you find the lack of front pockets? Like you I've been a Chase vest user for quite awhile. I use the front pockets quite a bit (mainly for salt tablets and a trash spot). I've been curious about the Outlander Pro as well but concerned about the lack of front pockets. The white one looks nice but wonder how it will hold up to mud, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: USWE Packs [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i didn't miss the front pockets on the ride i did. I usually just kept food and empty wrappers in those pockets. I just ordered a slightly larger top tube bag (from Steady Co, a local bag maker here in OKC) in order to hold more food since i won't have those pockets.

Last year i was doing a training ride with the Chase and had my iPhone mini in the front pocket that doesn't zip. Totally my fault. I got in the aerobars and it fell out on a downhill. Even though it was my fault, it still left me frustrated with those front pockets.

To me, the additional comfort and better cooling benefits outweigh the lack of pockets.
Quote Reply