Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Texas school district orders librarians to remove a version of Anne Frank’s diary from shelves
Quote | Reply
Both predictable and frightening. Here come the holocaust deniers...

https://www.jta.org/...s-diary-from-shelves
Quote Reply
Re: Texas school district orders librarians to remove a version of Anne Frank’s diary from shelves [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe the atheists are at it too, since the Bible is on the list. Seems like it's most any book that parents complained about.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas school district orders librarians to remove a version of Anne Frank’s diary from shelves [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These dipshits don't realize that the kids can either find the books they've banned at another library [a town library, or a county library], or online

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Texas school district orders librarians to remove a version of Anne Frank’s diary from shelves [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Other books which will presumably now be removed include Toni Morrison’s “The Bluest Eye,” Alison Bechdel’s “Fun Home” and Jon Ronson’s “So You’ve Been Publicly Shamed.”

Of the three above, I've only read Fun Home, Alison Bechdel's memoir which chronicles her coming out, her father's suicide and eventual realization that he was bisexual

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:

I can almost taste the freedom.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Texas school district orders librarians to remove a version of Anne Frank’s diary from shelves [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Tri2gohard wrote:

I was a sort of WWII history nut in middle school, even read Mein Kampf which I got from the middle school library. Clearly why I'm a Nazi today.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas school district orders librarians to remove a version of Anne Frank’s diary from shelves [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Tri2gohard wrote:

Taste likes bizza doesn't it?

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Texas school district orders librarians to remove a version of Anne Frank’s diary from shelves [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Tri2gohard wrote:

Taste likes bizza doesn't it?

Nah, bizza is good.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Texas school district orders librarians to remove a version of Anne Frank’s diary from shelves [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Tri2gohard wrote:

I was a sort of WWII history nut in middle school, even read Mein Kampf which I got from the middle school library. Clearly why I'm a Nazi today.

Interesting, when I was in HS, I tried to read Mein Kampf. But it was so rambling and disjointed, I gave up (and, at the time, I was able to read many other adult books--well, at least well written ones).

Hitler's writing had/has a lot in common with Trump's unscripted speeches. Basically, just garbage.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Texas school district orders librarians to remove a version of Anne Frank’s diary from shelves [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Hitler's writing had/has a lot in common with Trump's unscripted speeches. Basically, just garbage.

And that's the edited version. If I recall correctly, his editor found the original way too long and disjointed, so made him pare it way down and reorganize it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conservative activists want to ban 400 books from a library — but they aren't even on shelves
After nine months on the job, the library director is quitting. "Nothing in my background could have prepared me for the political atmosphere of extremism,”

https://www.nbcnews.com/...en-shelves-rcna44026
Quote:
For months, a group of conservative Christians have inundated the staff and board of a public library in Bonners Ferry, Idaho, with complaints about books they didn’t want to see on the shelves.

Their list of more than 400 titles predominantly focuses on young adult books with LGBTQ characters, scenes describing sexual activity or invoking the occult.

The only problem: None of the books are in the library’s collection.
Quote:
They fumed that the library planned to join the American Library Association, a nonprofit trade organization known for fighting censorship that local activists falsely accused of “promoting pedophilia.” They started a campaign to recall four of the five library trustees over a policy against restricting access to controversial books, putting up signs around town that read: “Our Mission is to protect children from explicit materials and grooming.”

Today's GOP has done a great job of attracting morons to the party.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Maybe the atheists are at it too, since the Bible is on the list. Seems like it's most any book that parents complained about.

yeah.. that’s my take on quick scan of article . Just takes one anonymous parent to ‘challenge a book’ and it’s yanked from book shelves ? ! Shirley i’m missing something…
Quote Reply
Re: Texas school district orders librarians to remove a version of Anne Frank’s diary from shelves [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

yeah.. that’s my take on quick scan of article . Just takes one anonymous parent to ‘challenge a book’ and it’s yanked from book shelves ? ! Shirley i’m missing something…

The Bible has some brutal stuff in it, though. Sex, genocide, rape, incest, prostitution. Much darker than Ann Frank's diary.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 24, 22 5:43
Quote Reply
Re: Texas school district orders librarians to remove a version of Anne Frank’s diary from shelves [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
Today's GOP has done a great job of attracting morons to the party.

I would agree. I would also assert that the GOP has done a bang up job of platforming these same morons and giving them the biggest megaphone possible.

Stupid people should not be in charge of anything. Smart people putting stupid people in charge of things for their own ends is what we continue to see from this party.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas school district orders librarians to remove a version of Anne Frank’s diary from shelves [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
shady wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

The Bible has some brutal stuff in it, though. Sex, genocide, rape, incest, prostitution. Much darker than Ann Frank's diary.

Probably worth noting that it wasn't Anne Frank's diary that was pulled, it was a graphic novel version of that book. Given that the diary has discussion of teen sexuality, sex jokes, contraception, etc, it may be that some parent objected to the pictorial representation of those pages in the book. I haven't seen the graphic novel, so don't know. I saw reporting that indicated the regular text versions of the diary were not on the list for review.

That said, the school district has apparently pulled them off the shelves for review based on the parent comments, and their superintendent has said that he expects them to be back on shelves very soon.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Texas school district orders librarians to remove a version of Anne Frank’s diary from shelves [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Probably worth noting that it wasn't Anne Frank's diary that was pulled, it was a graphic novel version of that book. Given that the diary has discussion of teen sexuality, sex jokes, contraception, etc, it may be that some parent objected to the pictorial representation of those pages in the book. I haven't seen the graphic novel, so don't know. I saw reporting that indicated the regular text versions of the diary were not on the list for review.

So they looked at the pictures and said "Nope"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Texas does not know who they are fucking with

AIPAC

American Israel Public Affairs Committee
Quote Reply
Re: Texas school district orders librarians to remove a version of Anne Frank’s diary from shelves [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
shady wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Don't forget cannibalism!

Trieatalot

It's a C minus world.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas school district orders librarians to remove a version of Anne Frank’s diary from shelves [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
slowguy wrote:

So they looked at the pictures and said "Nope"

Because they were not capable of actually reading the book, they just looked at the pikturres.

How about this for a solution to their problem. Don't f*cking check out the book or better yet, be a parent and have a conversation with your child about the book and why it is problematic for your beliefs.

Trieatalot

It's a C minus world.
Quote Reply