Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USRPT swimming - how to time oneself?
Quote | Reply
I want to incorporate some USRPT sets in my swimming,
but everything I read about it requires a coach to accurately time you, especially on 25s , where half seconds add up

Are there any tools or apps that can accurately time 25s?
I basically want like a mobile touchpad that I can drop in the lane at my local Y
Quote Reply
Re: USRPT swimming - how to time oneself? [vyvyvy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you do it enough you know the difference between 12 low, 12 mid and 12 high or whatever.

Unless you are trying to move from 22.4 to 21.9 in the LCM 50 this is accurate enough (you get the point).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's wrong with a watch?
Quote Reply
Re: USRPT swimming - how to time oneself? [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watch would not be accurate enough, If I am targeting 12.5 , the time taken between starting the watch & pushing off + finishing and stopping the watch , would be over 10% of the total time , I don't want to live with that level of uncertainty :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Garmin, so I can't speak on Apple Watches, but mine has a three second countdown before it starts. Since you are hitting the stop button every time, you will be consistent with that. As long as you stay consistent with how you measure it, you will be able to detect deviations for better or worse.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you really want to know your times down to 0.1s, sounds like you need to get your own timing mat and clock. I'm fairly certain that coaches doing USPRT with a team aren't timing all of their kids on deck and letting them use the pace clock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why normal people hate triathletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you really busting out a bunch of sub 13 25's with that level of consistency?
Quote Reply
Re: USRPT swimming - how to time oneself? [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:
I have a Garmin, so I can't speak on Apple Watches, but mine has a three second countdown before it starts.

Good luck.

Yup use the countdown and you can set a time alert which will vibrate at whatever u set it to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does your Y have a pace clock? Most do

Depended on by swimmers all over the world for decades, highly accurate, highly durable and comes with a life time warranty ('hey, can you pls put the clock on when you have a sec / when you have a sec can you align the 2 clocks'), great value for money as comes free with pool entry :)

Doing rounds of 16-20 x 25 on about 30 gives you insane insight into pace. You want to have a sense of your timing on more usrpt sets, but doesn't need to be super dialled in. Main thing is swimming at top speed!
but hey a mobile touchpad at your local y is a sure way to start a convo, probably a sure way to get ex-swimmers to heckle / rip you one too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve incorporated Race Pace/USRPT sets into the team I coach for approaching a decade now. You don’t need anything more than a pace clock on the deck.

I hope this helps,

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: USRPT swimming - how to time oneself? [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding pace clocks, analogue ones, at least:

As I think about it, the huge radius of the second hand on these things might even make them an especially accurate option for seeing parts of a second.

(BTW, I feel literally sick right now thinking of a pace clock. I can dread the next sendoff from 30 years away...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What event(s) are you training for?
Quote Reply