Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WHy I will never run sew-ups again.
Quote | Reply
Early in my cycling career I ran sew-ups. I perfer sew-up to "tubie" because tubies are little red, yellow and purple things that roll around British tv and call thier hoover "noo noo". Sew-ups. That what you do. You sew them up. Clinchers also have tubes. So why aren't they "tubies"?

Back on topic. Early in my riding career I ran sew-ups. I did this because of Bicycle Guide. Bicycle Guide was my bible and they had an article on sew-ups so I rode them. I liked them just fine. Even repaired them myself. A quick lesson from grandma, a few Jefferson re-runs and boom! Fixed tire.

So why do I run clinchers now? Easy When my Sirrus ate it and I bought the Ironman it came with clinchers. I rode clinchers from than on out because I didn't want to buy new wheels.

Now after the last few days I will never buy sew-ups again. I refuse. For the same reasons I won't fly flish anymore, ride a single speed, run Campy, or drink coffee. Pure %100 eletism. If I am sitting on a pair of 404s and you say they aren't "racing wheels" then you are a moron. This whole thing smacks of me being told all the time at work I'm going to hell. Preachy and snobby.

I do not now nor will I ever run sew-ups now. Thanks guys. Have a fucking nice day.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: WHy I will never run sew-ups again. [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not even if they were donated to Team SHR? Isn't that against the moral coade of the team? Either way..I'm with you. Maybe I'll lose time changing a clincher flat (maybe I won't), maybe I'll have less feel with my clinchers (maybe I won't), maybe I'll get more flats (only if I lend my bike to my friend Jim..gave me back my bike with two flats once), but I'll be damned if I'll follow this lemming to the clif just because. Call my 404 clinchers training wheels all you..but let's get it on and see. As for coffee...I swear Tim Hortons laces theirs with heroine..it tastes like the stuff Jimmy R talks about but for some odd reason I keep going back. Campy...ooooh tough one. They make pretty stuff and Shimano has this new planned obsolescence thing going on...won't convert because of the status though. I'm with Tibbs on this one.
Quote Reply
Re: WHy I will never run sew-ups again. [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Not even if they were donated to Team SHR? Isn't that against the moral coade of the team?" First off I do ot take donations. I get sponsored by the masses. Second of all it does go against team code so if a pair of sew-ups with tires show up at my door I will sing a diffrent tune. It's buisness.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" so if a pair of sew-ups with tires show up at my door I will sing a diffrent tune. It's buisness. "

--------------------------------

Yeah, but then you'd need someone to "sponsor" you a new tire every time you got a flat :-)
Quote Reply
Re: WHy I will never run sew-ups again. [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Yeah, but then you'd need someone to "sponsor" you a new tire every time you got a flat :-)"

Yeah but according to some on this board they never go flat. Or need air or wear out. Sew-ups created the heavens and Eath. They was away our sins. We will find enightment with the sew-ups!

The other thing is sponsorship costs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Yeah, but then you'd need someone to "sponsor" you a new tire every time you got a flat :-)
Tibbs already said that he could fix a sew-up while darning his grandmothers socks, watching the Jeffersons.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm right there with you Mr. Tibbs. I was actually having the EXACT same thought this morning as I read some of the tubie (excuse me, sew-up) posts. I have to admit that I didn't read them all, as I got totally disgusted (though not as disgusted as when my 2-year-old insists on watching teletubies). Why can't we at least admit that there is no compelling reason to run sew-ups any more but we do it for the same reason we shave our legs (and yes, there is no good reason to shave legs other than because you like the way it looks and because those that we are tying to emulate are doing it- I've tried to convince myself that I shave for some other reason but that's a bunch of crap).

I may continue to shave my legs, but I'll never ride sew-ups.
Quote Reply
Re: WHy I will never run sew-ups again. [Record10ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but I haven't seen a good Jefferson's rerun on TV in quite some time, so he may be SOL there unless Sanford and Son will also work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanford and Son always works. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do the people that ride sew-ups always try to get you in there camp. I enjoy the ride of a high quality clincher. An yes I have race wheels that are clincher's Zipp 404's. When I bought them Zipp neglected to tell me they were not race wheels. :-)

"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you never take" - Wayne Gretzky
Quote Reply
Re: WHy I will never run sew-ups again. [flytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do the people that ride sew-ups always try to get you in there camp.

Because the prospect of having to admit that sew-ups are a dumb idea is horrifying to them. Wait... I have an idea... I could glue my wheels onto the bike, thereby saving the weight of the quick release. I could also glue my helmet on and save the weight of the chin strap, but I'd probably have to shave my head.

Lest anyone get too worked up- yes I am teasing a bit here. But there's a grain of truth in every joke, and despite all the arguments I still can't understand why, in the presence of a very simple and reliable mechanical means of attaching a tire, anyone would go through all the hassle of gluing it on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still can't understand why, in the presence of a very simple and reliable mechanical means of attaching a tire, anyone would go through all the hassle of gluing it on.

that had to have been the single most sensible thing said about this entire thread..one has to wonder
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(and yes, there is no good reason to shave legs other than because you like the way it looks and because those that we are tying to emulate are doing it- I've tried to convince myself that I shave for some other reason but that's a bunch of crap).

Finally, someone's being honest about it. =) You shave your legs, and are a real man.

Reminds me of a quote by a University of Texas basketball player (can't remember the name). "Coach treats us like men; he lets us wear earrings".

-------------------------------------

We all emulate to a certain degree in different aspects, so emulation in one area is not better than emulation in another area. I won't go into debt for triathlon stuff, but I will to emulate the home improvement ideas my wife sees on TLC (yeah, like I have a choice).

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: WHy I will never run sew-ups again. [flytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why do the people that ride sew-ups always try to get you in there camp. I enjoy the ride of a high quality clincher. An yes I have race wheels that are clincher's Zipp 404's. When I bought them Zipp neglected to tell me they were not race wheels. :-)
We have to! Myself, I am the Jahovas Witness of Campagnolo...knock knock...we know we are right, not sure why we are right, but in the end, we are infact right.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: WHy I will never run sew-ups again. [Record10ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are the 144,000th (I don't really know this is tongue in cheek...no flaming please) Campy/sew up Joho....and only that many get to inherit the earth...and you convert me me...and I become a better Campy/sew up Joho...do you lose your place in the new tri earth?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mr tibbs. my man, you can't lump singlespeeders in there with the sew-up crowd. ss'ers KNOW they are doing something stupid just because it is fun. crucial difference in KNOWING.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike Myths and Lies:

The choice of tire type makes a damned bit of difference.

Road bikes "climb better".

Bigger chain rings mean you're a stud.

Riding hard is bad for you. You might get tired. Keep your heart rate 400 beats below maximum at all times.

200 grams "out at the rim" is extra, super bad.

Shaved legs.

Never trade a single watt of power for better aerodynamics.

Faster cadence is better.

Slower cadence is better.

Riding a fixie in the winter improves your efficiency.

Smoking "clears out the lungs" so you can ride faster.

Friction shifters are great.

The answers to your training problems are at 1-800-777-7122.
Quote Reply
Re: WHy I will never run sew-ups again. [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry but all the single speeders I have met have always been hollier than thou critical mass types. "i am intune with my bike do too the fact I have to relir on me and my spin." Single speed is dumb.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(and yes, there is no good reason to shave legs other than because you like the way it looks and because those that we are tying to emulate are doing it- I've tried to convince myself that I shave for some other reason but that's a bunch of crap).

Chicks love shaved legs!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Feb 23, 04 18:37
Quote Reply
Re: WHy I will never run sew-ups again. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chicks love shaved legs,

So do guys. Sorry, I couldn't resist. =)

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: WHy I will never run sew-ups again. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I said nothing about leg shaving. I shave mine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I swear Tim Hortons laces theirs with heroine" What do they put in it? Joan of Arc?
Quote Reply
Re: WHy I will never run sew-ups again. [wwweeee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do they put in it? Joan of Arc?

Ya know..normally I am pretty good at spelling..but every once in a while I get one wrong. Thank you ever so much for pointing out that flaw. Indeed Joan would have a pretty tough time getting into a cup of coffee..oh wait..she's long since turned to dust hasn't she..maybe getting her into a cup wouldn't be that hard after all. Good to know the forum has it's own personal spell check feature...maybe next time you could do me a favour and help me spell 'before' I post. All the same...I'll give you bonus points for wit...pick apart another spelling mistake and I may need to add a T to your wit...lol
Quote Reply