Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is Ukraine loosing? [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
And another thing, if the Russian goal is to have a buffer zone in some future war, Eastern Ukraine is relatively meaningless. You really need the Western part because that is where all the mountains are where you can actually mount a defense against the modern forces of NATO.

You are projecting SO much of your own psychology and neurosis onto Russia and Putin it’s not even funny.

E

I guess you're the expert.

Fair.

However, either Russia is fighting Ukraine how and for the goals and reasons why *you* would fight Ukraine or Russia is fighting Ukraine how they are actually fighting Ukraine... I think it would be dangerous to conflate the two when making prognostications. 99% of the posts about Ukraine are actually people saying what their values are and what they'd do based on those values with no critical analysis or synthesis.

IOW, your assessment is that Russia is at war with Ukraine and my assessment is that, I don't know, it seems like Russia is at war with the West. These are both falsifiable hypotheses that we use to make decisions and allocate resources with and can check back on later. I also disagree that Ukraine is "losing" and agree with Steve's assessment that actually Russia has already lost, operationally speaking.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ukraine loosing? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
IOW, your assessment is that Russia is at war with Ukraine and my assessment is that, I don't know, it seems like Russia is at war with the West.

Of course it's a combination of both.

Just like the U.S. war in Afghanistan was also a proxy war with Iran, Russia, and even, at times, "ally" Pakistan.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ukraine losing? [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just came here to say THANK YOU for fixing the thread title, whoever it was. It was driving me nuts.
Carry on.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ukraine loosing? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

IOW, your assessment is that Russia is at war with Ukraine and my assessment is that, I don't know, it seems like Russia is at war with the West.

Just like the U.S. war in Afghanistan was also a proxy war with Iran, Russia, and even, at times, "ally" Pakistan.

Yeah I think that's true but it's removed one more abstraction than that. Again, projection. Yes, we're fighting a proxy war with Russia thru Ukraine but the transverse of that is a dangerous assumption. I also think your Afghanistan model needs UAE-KSA in the abstraction somewhere.

I think it's also dangerous to see Russia at the top of any abstraction... if Russia is at war with the US, who would Russia be a proxy for? I can think of several supranational options.

E

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ukraine loosing? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
trail wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Yeah I think that's true but it's removed one more abstraction than that. Again, projection. Yes, we're fighting a proxy war with Russia thru Ukraine but the transverse of that is a dangerous assumption. I also think your Afghanistan model needs UAE-KSA in the abstraction somewhere.

I think it's also dangerous to see Russia at the top of any abstraction... if Russia is at war with the US, who would Russia be a proxy for? I can think of several supranational options.

E

I don't know what you mean by "dangerious" Dangerous as in our various predictions might be inaccurate? Sure, I've been wildly inaccurate. I thought all of Ukraine would fall in about a month or so.

I don't think Russia has a proxy. Russia is acting on its own behalf by all appearances. Those appear to be Russian soldiers with mostly Russian-acquired equipment in Ukraine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is interesting how things are evolving. Looks like Russia put all of its forces in one area and Ukraine used that to its advantage and is pushing two major counter attacks, one to the south (Kherson) and one in the north (Kharkiv to Izum). If they pull off the second, they can cut off supplies to Russia's main front.

This guy gives a good summary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZioTavNy3c

Quote Reply
Re: Is Ukraine loosing? [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
NealH wrote:
Ukraine will have to cede Donbas pretty soon, and then the war is all but over. Without Donbas, they don't have a country. They will occupy a piece of land that operates not much different than a reservation. Just a place they can call theirs, but of little value to our global society. Let's hope Europe doesn't back track and come up with an excuse to keep buy cheap Russian gas & oil. Biden's sanctions are worthless, but Europe has a chance to make some impact....if they have the guts to maintain their plans long term without workarounds.

Nonsense.

Prior to the war Ukraine had a fast growing tech industry with a broad spectrum of very smart people. That industry will flourish and provide a lot of value to our global society. They will also resume production of large quantities of agricultural products. Meanwhile Russia will be stuck with the assets that society is rapidly moving away from.

What additional sanctions do you think Biden should have done?

It doesn’t matter. To this bot, er poster, whatever Biden did or didn’t do would be wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ukraine loosing? [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
Yes, Russia is slowly winning, and it won't be long before the fat lady sings. Once Ukraine losses Dubas, and its close now, they will not have a country. Ukraine will negotiate a treaty, and Russia will be in the driver's seat. They will not be a Nato country, and the $40B that the old buzzard is sending them will be gone, without accountability. The political carpetbaggers from both sides will get a piece of that $40B pie, and smile all the way to the bank, while American taxpayers get a devastating haircut.

please cease with the disgusting trollbait.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
trail wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

E

I don't know what you mean by "dangerious" Dangerous as in our various predictions might be inaccurate? Sure, I've been wildly inaccurate. I thought all of Ukraine would fall in about a month or so.

I don't think Russia has a proxy. Russia is acting on its own behalf by all appearances. Those appear to be Russian soldiers with mostly Russian-acquired equipment in Ukraine.

No, who is Russia a proxy *for*.

E

Quote Reply
Re: Is Ukraine loosing? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
It is interesting how things are evolving. Looks like Russia put all of its forces in one area and Ukraine used that to its advantage and is pushing two major counter attacks, one to the south (Kherson) and one in the north (Kharkiv to Izum). If they pull off the second, they can cut off supplies to Russia's main front.

This is hopefully turning into basic maneuver warfare... I was never really worried about Russia gaining 500m per day in Donbas because I expected a counter attack in Kherson. I wonder if Ukraine has the courage to let them push the Donbas front all the way to the gates of Kiev.

E

Quote Reply
Re: Is Ukraine loosing? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:

It would sexy and cool for Ukraine to allow Russian forces to advance and then cut them off and surround them en-mass

also Not a very smart move as that is reason #2 for Russia to whip out a tactical nuke.

As much as it sucks for Ukraine---they've got to be careful not to be overly successful.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Is Ukraine loosing? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:

The rivers are the best thing going for Ukraine because everyone knows how tough crossings are. Russia tries it, Ukraine smacks them, and everyone nods because that's what they expected.

But if there's an unexpected success for Ukraine -- that's when Russia's response gets unpredictable like you said.

War sucks, but I secretly admit there's something refreshing about talking about war in terms of rivers, artillery movements, flanking maneuvers, supply lines, etc. This is classic European war. The kind where you can model strategery on a map with little green infantry guys and artillery pieces.

Not the opaque hall-of-mirrors insurgent warfare the U.S. has been involved in for the past few decades, where there are no real front lines, and the enemy is hard to find, and even harder to separate from civilians.

Edit: Not that civilians aren't getting brutalized here, and Russia seemingly not giving a shit. But it's different than insurgent warfare, at the moment.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 1, 22 16:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
War sucks, but I secretly admit there's something refreshing about talking about war in terms of rivers, artillery movements, flanking maneuvers, supply lines, etc. This is classic European war. The kind where you can model strategery on a map with little green infantry guys and artillery pieces.

Not the opaque hall-of-mirrors insurgent warfare the U.S. has been involved in for the past few decades, where there are no real front lines, and the enemy is hard to find, and even harder to separate from civilians.

This is funny, I just mentioned this to someone the other day. It's an odd mix of historical "lines on a map" warfare along with modern "drones dropping modified artillery shells" warfare. It has been very interesting to follow it, and Reddit has a couple of good subreddits with footage (most of which is propaganda, but that's also a modern take on an ancient tactic).
Quote Reply

Prev Next