Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Softball/ baseball glove question
Quote | Reply
I need advice. Mini Moonrocket needs a new softball glove. She’s 12 and almost 5’7” - so full grown adult sized- but still growing- based on x-rays last summer of broken toe doc guessed she would be at least 5’10”. She loves softball.

Do I spring for a nice glove assuming she’s got at least 6 more years if she plays through high school- so she can break it in good? Or get her another starter glove?

I’m looking at 12.5” closed laced RHT gloves if it makes a difference- she plays mostly 3rd and is the back up, back up pitcher. Although she played 1st with a sick teammate for the first time yesterday and got 3 kids out- so she could conceivably play that more. She plays rec but we are considering trying out for comp this summer.

Help I know nothing about softball.
Quote Reply
Re: Softball/ baseball glove question [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get her a nice glove. These days they don't really need to be broken in much, the leather is pretty soft.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really comes down to how much you want to spend. You can get her a really, really high end glove like a Wilson A2000 an spend somewhere around $300 to $350 Alternatively you can get her a lower level glove and spend somewhere around $100 to $125ish for a really good glove. Most of the major brands (Rawlings, Wilson, Easton, Mizuno) will have gloves in this range. These are not starter gloves and will serve her well for many years. Both of my daughters play softball in high school and we went this route for gloves. The gloves are not holding them back in any way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
I need advice. Mini Moonrocket needs a new softball glove. She’s 12 and almost 5’7” - so full grown adult sized- but still growing- based on x-rays last summer of broken toe doc guessed she would be at least 5’10”. She loves softball.

Do I spring for a nice glove assuming she’s got at least 6 more years if she plays through high school- so she can break it in good? Or get her another starter glove?

I’m looking at 12.5” closed laced RHT gloves if it makes a difference- she plays mostly 3rd and is the back up, back up pitcher. Although she played 1st with a sick teammate for the first time yesterday and got 3 kids out- so she could conceivably play that more. She plays rec but we are considering trying out for comp this summer.

Help I know nothing about softball.

12 was the age I bought my son a top of the line adult size glove, based on the fact that I knew he wanted to play through middle school and high school. I sprung for a Wilson A2000, and it has been great. Warning - the higher quality the glove, the more break-in time will be needed, so check out Aso's break-in videos on youtube.

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply
Re: Softball/ baseball glove question [bm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bm wrote:
It really comes down to how much you want to spend. You can get her a really, really high end glove like a Wilson A2000 an spend somewhere around $300 to $350 Alternatively you can get her a lower level glove and spend somewhere around $100 to $125ish for a really good glove. Most of the major brands (Rawlings, Wilson, Easton, Mizuno) will have gloves in this range. These are not starter gloves and will serve her well for many years. Both of my daughters play softball in high school and we went this route for gloves. The gloves are not holding them back in any way.

This is what I was thinking- but this middle range has some big supply chain issues going on. Good to go if you’re left handed- but finding a right hand throw is challenging. (Mini is a little particular too and doesn’t want a white glove and wants to try it on as can be thrown off by thing she doesn’t like the fit of). Same thing with cleats. Luckily she has so 10 feet - cause that was the only size non-metal cleat in stock anywhere near us (still drove an hour to try them on). It does seem gloves are starting to come into stock a little- so hopefully it’s improving. But our local store has pretty much only had $40 or $300 for right handers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our family is a diehard stick and ball sports family (softball and baseball). Anyway, my opinion is that 12 is the beginning of the next chapter of that sport. The amount of time and effort invested starts going up fast. I say get a high quality glove and make sure it is stored correctly (daughter uses a molded bag called the Hive)

For 3B, there is nothing wrong with 12.25" or 12.5" baseball glove, something like this.

https://www.rawlings.com/...P-PROR3028U-6CN.html

There is absolutely a difference in quality between the baseball and softball gloves, both for Rawlings and Wilson. For the best of the best, Rawlings HoH baseball. It has the best pocket, best feel, and best leather bar none. Best softball glove, I'd say Wilson A2000. My daughter and I have tried lots of different brands from Nokona, Easton, Wilson, Rawlings, and Mizuno.
Quote Reply
Re: Softball/ baseball glove question [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Get her a nice glove. These days they don't really need to be broken in much, the leather is pretty soft.

Don’t know much about softball gloves, but if they’re anything like baseball, I’d go for top or near top of the line in an adult glove, if you can afford it. Given what people here spend or have spent on those two-wheeled things, it’s pretty much nothing. The real expense is travel ball.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a Wilson A2000 in high school. I still have it 30+ years later. The leather is a bit cracked because I didn't take care of it regularly after college. Then I bought a Mizuno (I'd have to check the specifics) for when I started playing slow-pitch softball. That was about 15 years ago. I still have that glove too. Having said that, if I had to do it all over again, I'd buy the Wilson and make sure to keep it cleaned and oiled. That was a hell of a glove.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Softball/ baseball glove question [ErnieK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! We found a glove in a store she liked the feel of but not the color- but I found a different color online- so we have a Rawlings Liberty Advanced in Grey/ rose gold being shipped to us. The super high end ones she could not get past the stiffness. This one was softer - so may break down quicker- but she liked it. Does it need a fancy storage bag?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ex rec softball coach and glove guru..

Hard to beat a A2000 , unless you get a A2000 made in Japan or A2K. Custom Mizuno out of Japan and limited edition Rawlings are nice as well.
Third base and backup pitcher I'd probably go 12.25 max with not too deep of a pocket as the throw from 3rd to 1st is a long one and you need to get that ball out fast.

I use to leave the glove in a plastic bag in the back window of the car to help with break-in.. Stored with a ball and a band around it. Not a fan of liquid oils but Wilson and Mizuno glove conditioner is good stuff.

I used to use Mizuno round mallet and leather pounding pad. I broke in every glove my daughter ever used (a lot) and every new glove any of her teammates used over the years.
Last edited by: KKG: May 28, 22 10:15
Quote Reply