Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
42point2 wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
Herbert wrote:
Unless you have a pro card you are an age grouper. And if you have a pro card but don’t earn a living you simply have a pro card but aren’t a pro.

This story is only interesting if this is a working stiff like the rest of us who somehow has been able to make it to the tippy top of the Age Group field. If he is a pro in every aspect except having his pro-card then this is the story of a wannabe pro that has a long way to go to be competitive with the big boys. What's the big deal, is his job a secret? Is he independently wealthy? Is his wife (partner) a working professional and sustains him? This is really not all that compelling if this guy doesn't really work for a living.

It don't necessarily mean his job is a secret, the story is just about him doing Triathlon. It seems like everyone is trying to say it's not that impressive because he seems to be wealthy and have unlimited time to train. How many people can become age group world champion only 4 years after their first Triathlon, that's very impressive. Even if he was working full time, I'm sure he would of still been in the mix. Being able to train full time doesn't suddenly take you from middle of the pack to front of pack.

I agree the guy is an athletic specimen but what makes stories like Skye Moench's and Kat Matthews' (both who followed a similar pattern as this guy to the pro ranks) so compelling is that they truly had to make that shift from regular AG'er to pro. Herbert totally leaves that aspect of this guy's development out of the story. Glaring miss.

Quoting this part of the thread, but directing to Herbert if he is reading. I think there are many people who have good genetics, a good sport background and are at a sub pro level quickly. Peter Reid's story was like that. Then he went from a fast age grouper to a fast pro in one year quitting any part time jobs he had and going "all in".

Herbert, if you can come back with that else he does outside of triathlon, I think it would make the story more compelling, or it may be a story of a full time athlete, who is at the bottom end of being able to race pro and could maybe turn into the next fast pro.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am out with age group interviews for at least a month.

Training for a big race myself and thus limited time
Last edited by: Herbert: May 23, 22 18:49
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
I am out with age group interviews for at least a month
I have known a lot of high performing,age group coaches with active squads,who fit the description of "Professional Triathlete" far more than probably half of the "racing" Pro field.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

Hey thanks for the interview. Mainly if you can just share on this thread what the guy does outside triathlon (if you know from the interview). I think it will either jack up the credibility of what he achieved, or a bunch of us will look at it and go, "OK another fast full time athlete who is slower than the pros". It is OK either way. If he is balancing being a bricklayer, or banker or farmer and being a fast triathlete, then its just going to be even more impressive.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Herbert wrote:

Hey thanks for the interview. Mainly if you can just share on this thread what the guy does outside triathlon (if you know from the interview). I think it will either jack up the credibility of what he achieved, or a bunch of us will look at it and go, "OK another fast full time athlete who is slower than the pros". It is OK either way. If he is balancing being a bricklayer, or banker or farmer and being a fast triathlete, then its just going to be even more impressive.

I think the point is that he isn't balancing anything. He's training full-time. There's nothing wrong with that (and I am sure a lot of people on here would like to do that) but it dulls the story of him being the top age grouper as he falls into the "OK another fast full time athlete who is slower than the pros" bucket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Herbert wrote:

Yeah,like this one with some old has-been.. Hahaha.. (sorry for the off ST highjack Slowman and Herbert)

S2E12 -- Conversation with 2-time UMC Champion : Nick Mallett, Vagabond (buzzsprout.com)
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Herbert wrote:

Yeah,like this one with some old has-been.. Hahaha.. (sorry for the off ST highjack Slowman and Herbert)

S2E12 -- Conversation with 2-time UMC Champion : Nick Mallett, Vagabond (buzzsprout.com)

Actually I listened to most of this and found it quite captivating already knowing bits and pieces of the story
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Video interview with Matt via AG Triathlon: LINK
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [ked2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ked2k wrote:
Need some popcorns.

or pork rinds

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply

Prev Next