Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Runners High????
Quote | Reply
I have been running for about 10 years now. My co-workers always ask if I run because of runners high. I am not sure I have ever experience this euphoric sensation while running. However, on many occasions I have experience what might be considered runners low. This is a miserable sensation when I feel tired and sick of running. No one ever seems to mention runners low although it seems to be much more common than this elusive runners high. Also, is the biking equivalent of runners high when my butt finally goes numb and no longer hurts? Apparently, I am doing something wrong...
Quote Reply
Re: Runners High???? [Amstel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A neurologist once asked me if I experienced a runner's high.

I never have. Then again, I have never used any kind of intoxicant so I may not recognize it if I had it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another runner's low is that feeling you get when you haven't run for 2 or 3 days. Maybe it's just me but I'm cranky, miserable and wholly intolerable. My wife kicks my ass out the door on those days. :)

A runner's high? Never had one.

matt

"When I cleaned up my diction, I had nothing left to say" -- Van Morrison
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tell them to type the words, "slowtwitch.com" into their browser and they can also experience a "high," and not even need to lace up shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Also, is the biking equivalent of runners high when my butt finally goes numb and no longer hurts? Apparently, I am doing something wrong...

Well, no. The biking "high" -- and I'd expect the running one too -- is beta endorphins kicking in post heavy workout.

Naturally produced, but (I'm told) with a physiological effect very similar to that produced by opiates.

If your butt hurts while cycling, your positioning is wrong. Your weight should be going primarily into the pedals themselves (with some on your forearms as well) -- only a relatively small proportion should be on your butt.

I weigh >180, and in a hard cycling race virtually everything hurts but my butt. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In college, I ran quite a bit (pitcher's conditioning) and I was high quite a bit. One usually had very little to do with the other.

Today, I keep running, but I haven't felt the "high" in quite a long time.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had it before in my short running career. I just seem to not be able to stop smiling while running sometimes, that's the only way I can explain it.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
most days - but physiologically, the release of endorphins (or possibly cannabinoids, the research is not clear) doesn't usually happen until 45 min or more.
I wouldn't go so far as to say euphoria, more a sense of generalized well-being and happiness. If you expect a rush of ecstasy, you will be disappointed..
http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/01/11/marijuana.exercise.reut/

Is that Amstel as in fine Dutch beer from die Amstel Brouwerij ?

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran a pretty high levle for 20+ years starting at age 14. I had two versions of "runner's high".

1. The feeling of total accomplishment after finishing a work-out( usually a high intensity interval or track workout) that broke through to a new level of fitness or after a race that achieved ALL of my goals and went totally to plan.

2. The feeling that you would get when I was very fit and I could surf along the edge of my Lactate Threshold for a very long time in a long run when it feels almost effortless. Not reccomended by most, but honestly if you want to really push the type of fitness required for great performances for 10K on up - the best training that you can do.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Runners High???? [alpedhuez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last I read attempts to validate the theory of an endophine induced exercise high had failed to come up with the goods.

I have never felt a high (other than an extremely rare feeling of being in the zone). But I would attribute that to my tendency to just go faster until any good feeling goes away more than anything else. Without enough duress I am unable to focus my attention and forget about all the other crap in my life.
Quote Reply
Re: Runners High???? [mises] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get it all the time after a 2-3 post workout nap:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I quite often get a feeling of euphoria when riding the bike but never had it when running. In fact, running has always seemed like work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait a minute - there are people out there who feel good running? Can't we ban them as having an unfair advantage?

Deke - swim / bike / shuffle painfully
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
          Runner's Highs:.......when I ran my first marathon.....40 minute 10k........IMUSA Lake placid finish line........first SOS.........and most of all taking an age group 1st at the Whiteface Uphill footrace in Lake Placid It's not like opiates, it's better, it's like being able to walk on water.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Runners High???? [mises] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you hit it right there Misas......runner's high is the focus of attention and the clearing of any thoughts about what is going on in the rest of your life.

I feel a bit invinsible deep into a long run that is going well....I always figured that was the "high".

Its enough to keep me coming back anyways.......
Last edited by: tucker: Feb 23, 04 18:38
Quote Reply