Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why do triathletes use rear saddle ,mounts for water bottles [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
In non IM races, I hit the air stations too soon and they aren’t ready.

That’s an 8.5/10-rated humblebrag, nicely done!

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Why do triathletes use rear saddle ,mounts for water bottles [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be almost willing to bet good money that 2 behind the seat bottles would be faster in a 70.3 that allows you to keep hammering and totally avoid all aid stations rather than slow down, sit up and run the gauntlet of an aid station.

This whole thread has certainly had me re reading posts trying to make sense of it all...
Quote Reply
Re: Why do triathletes use rear saddle ,mounts for water bottles [PaulMurray1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not for me. First, they jettison bottles at rough terrain. Railroad crossing at Chattanooga? Bottles everywhere. Second, it's a tough reach to grab that bottle & then put it back, especially if you use an extra-tight cage to prevent the jettisoning.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do triathletes use rear saddle ,mounts for water bottles [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
synthetic wrote:
time savings on behind seat bottle likely lost when reaching back for it...

I don't do tri, but if I had to guess folks who should know what they're doing that use those likely don't drink constantly from them. My guess would be it avoids slowing to an aid station to grab and refill a frame or BTA or integrated hydration system. So you only ever reach for it once and it's in the same situation you'd be "sat up" anyway to refill an integrated or BTA setup. Refilling at 20mph versus slowing to pickup from an aid station then fill/reaccel.

For HIM's When I finish my first bottle, whether it's on the frame or BTA, I will toss it and then grab the bottle behind the saddle and use that one until it's empty. If I need a third I'll grab it from the last aid station.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do triathletes use rear saddle ,mounts for water bottles [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
dunno wrote:
Sorry Dan still confusing me,

1) if BTS is about as fast as behind the saddle then what is wrong with having both?

2) You say a 500ml bottle behind the saddle is as inefficient as you can get but the aerocoach data shows it is more efficient than between the arms??

Only asking this as I value your opinion and its just not making sense to me..

grab a bottle at an aid station. squirt the contents into a refillable BTA. toss the bottle. my BTA is pretty standard and takes almost 2 of those 500ml bottles (1.75 of them).

to me, reaching for the behind the seat bottle makes as much sense as reaching for food in your jersey pockets. road racers are still reaching for food in those jersey pockets. triathletes and gravel racers have moved on from that. that said, if there is a circumstance where the gap between aid stations is such that your BTA won't get you across that desert, then that is a good justification for a cage behind the saddle. do you think that's what the pros are typically doing with that cage? tossing that bottle and replacing it at every aid station?

Since you don’t have a BTS and I assume there is nothing on the downtube other than maybe an aero bottle cage, does this mean you have nowhere to store that bottle you get at the aid station if you don’t refill it in time? For me that would be an awful lot of pressure to both grab a bottle smoothly and then refill the BTA quickly. The end of the litter zone comes up fast. More power to you for being able to do it.

I’m probably one of those guys some of you shake your head at, but I start with a BTA and two BTS bottles. My stomach doesn’t like too much Gatorade Endurance and I prefer minimizing the number of times I run the gauntlet of an aid station. I drink from the BTA and refill from the BTS bottles, tossing them at aid stations. That gets me more than halfway before I need a station. There is an aero and weight penalty, but the trade off is worth it in terms of getting my preferred nutrition and reducing stress. I’m even thinking of storing a couple bottles at special needs and skipping aid stations all together.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do triathletes use rear saddle ,mounts for water bottles [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
Slowman wrote:
dunno wrote:
Sorry Dan still confusing me,

1) if BTS is about as fast as behind the saddle then what is wrong with having both?

2) You say a 500ml bottle behind the saddle is as inefficient as you can get but the aerocoach data shows it is more efficient than between the arms??

Only asking this as I value your opinion and its just not making sense to me..

grab a bottle at an aid station. squirt the contents into a refillable BTA. toss the bottle. my BTA is pretty standard and takes almost 2 of those 500ml bottles (1.75 of them).

to me, reaching for the behind the seat bottle makes as much sense as reaching for food in your jersey pockets. road racers are still reaching for food in those jersey pockets. triathletes and gravel racers have moved on from that. that said, if there is a circumstance where the gap between aid stations is such that your BTA won't get you across that desert, then that is a good justification for a cage behind the saddle. do you think that's what the pros are typically doing with that cage? tossing that bottle and replacing it at every aid station?

Since you don’t have a BTS and I assume there is nothing on the downtube other than maybe an aero bottle cage, does this mean you have nowhere to store that bottle you get at the aid station if you don’t refill it in time? For me that would be an awful lot of pressure to both grab a bottle smoothly and then refill the BTA quickly. The end of the litter zone comes up fast. More power to you for being able to do it.

I’m probably one of those guys some of you shake your head at, but I start with a BTA and two BTS bottles. My stomach doesn’t like too much Gatorade Endurance and I prefer minimizing the number of times I run the gauntlet of an aid station. I drink from the BTA and refill from the BTS bottles, tossing them at aid stations. That gets me more than halfway before I need a station. There is an aero and weight penalty, but the trade off is worth it in terms of getting my preferred nutrition and reducing stress. I’m even thinking of storing a couple bottles at special needs and skipping aid stations all together.

BTW, Cervelo (Phil White and Damon Rinard) published a paper a few years ago saying this was a great approach. They tested in the tunnel. They said the BTA was the faster and BTS was negligeable to faster. In their words :

"At any rate, while test results can vary somewhat, the lesson is that bottles behind your saddle do not have a large penalty and, depending on the design, may have a significant advantage."
Last edited by: marcag: Jan 25, 22 5:16
Quote Reply
Re: Why do triathletes use rear saddle ,mounts for water bottles [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
I'd be almost willing to bet good money that 2 behind the seat bottles would be faster in a 70.3 that allows you to keep hammering and totally avoid all aid stations rather than slow down, sit up and run the gauntlet of an aid station.

This whole thread has certainly had me re reading posts trying to make sense of it all...

I have done this and have found it works really well. I generally choose to do my BTA refills on slower sections of a course (usually uphills) which helps me move about and not stay locked in aero. On flat races it is what it is, but I tend to like not having to be reliant on aid stations, and doing my refills when it makes sense, especially in non-Im branded 70.3's.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do triathletes use rear saddle ,mounts for water bottles [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I look at the this issue from the perspective of personal logistical race management. I have a "system" for me that works pretty well. I carry three bottles in long distance racing - 1 bta, and 2 bts. 1 bottle is my calories bottle, 1 is Gatorade/fluid replacement, and the third is water. I have a hydration and feeding program that I have dialed in over many years and the "system" works pretty well. This is tried and true through practice and simulation in training. An important part of personal race management is putting all of the pieces together is a way that optimizes your (personal) day. Keep in mind and a nutritional/hydration glitch costs much more than the slight aero penalty.

One of things that I think we tend to miss in our never ending quest for optimizing the individual pieces is that everything is part of a bigger "system" and it all has to work together.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do triathletes use rear saddle ,mounts for water bottles [Fishhawk21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishhawk21 wrote:
dunno wrote:

I have done this and have found it works really well. I generally choose to do my BTA refills on slower sections of a course (usually uphills) which helps me move about and not stay locked in aero. On flat races it is what it is, but I tend to like not having to be reliant on aid stations, and doing my refills when it makes sense, especially in non-Im branded 70.3's.

I did the same thing too and found it worked well. Instead of refilling my BTA bottle I just swapped it for a full bottle from BTS. Takes an extra three seconds when timed with polishing off a bottle. Hold empty bottle in teeth, snag extra bottle from BTS and move to BTA, grab empty out of teeth and stash BTS. I'll happily take the minimal aero penalty if it means being able to take in the nutrition I'm used to. The weather was 90+ for my 70.3 so I carried three bottles. For my next I'll probably carry two bottles and will utilize the aero bottle on my downtown to store a concentrate.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do triathletes use rear saddle ,mounts for water bottles [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:

The other side of that is if your fluid needs are really in the 1L (2x 500mL bottles) range, you can find a few different BTA hydration systems with a 1L+ capacity. Then you've got one of the most aero options, don't need to change position (significantly) to drink (via the straw), and can still swing through an aid station for a refill if needed.

The BTS storage still seems like it would require some degree of getting out of aero to get the bottle out and drink which would be happening more than you'd be refilling. To me, that's the bigger advantage of the BTA hydration system, given that the aero penalty for steady state riding is similar between the two. Adding a BTS cage for grabbing an aid station bottle if needed and deferring the BTA refill part to an uphill/quieter part of the course seems like the best of both worlds if you need more fluids than you BTA holds on it's own.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do triathletes use rear saddle ,mounts for water bottles [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewjshults wrote:
dunno wrote:

The other side of that is if your fluid needs are really in the 1L (2x 500mL bottles) range, you can find a few different BTA hydration systems with a 1L+ capacity. Then you've got one of the most aero options, don't need to change position (significantly) to drink (via the straw), and can still swing through an aid station for a refill if needed.

The BTS storage still seems like it would require some degree of getting out of aero to get the bottle out and drink which would be happening more than you'd be refilling. To me, that's the bigger advantage of the BTA hydration system, given that the aero penalty for steady state riding is similar between the two. Adding a BTS cage for grabbing an aid station bottle if needed and deferring the BTA refill part to an uphill/quieter part of the course seems like the best of both worlds if you need more fluids than you BTA holds on it's own.

i think if somebody successfully deploys a BTS system, that's fine. that person should do what trial and error dictates. but i think you hit on the salient points here. my BTA system is refillable and holds almost a liter. i think that ought to last 15 miles. counting what you start with, in my BTA, that's 6 liters. are we drinking more than a gallon and a half during an IM?

i could see a cage back there, empty, in such case you can't toss a bottle before the litter line. you put your empty back there, and toss it at the beginning of the next aid station. historically, we either kept our concentrate in a frame bottle (ideally a bottle designed and supplied by the bike brand, as part of the construct offered for sale), or it was just clear water for drinking and the food and electrolytes came from another source.

but look, i know my lane. i'm not going to tell anybody what to eat, what to drink, how to train, how to race. i'm not going to lecture anyone on aerodynamics. my lane is ergonomics, comfort, and power delivery. it just doesn't seem to me that a BTS is an effective spot for hydration any more than a jersey pocket is an effective place to carry food or spare tires. we used to carry stuff in our jersey pockets and, in triathlon, we grew out of that. even in road racing we stopped putting tires in our jersey pockets and put THOSE behind the saddle. gravel and tri realized that behind the rider was a nonsensical place to put food. road still persists in that nonsense. frame makers have, over the past 5 years, developed hydration alternatives to BTS. either we as manufacturers are failing, or users are failing to adopt what the manufacturers have provided.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a guy at Unbound a few years ago with 2 BTS bottles during the neutral rollout. He had zero BTS bottles about 5 miles in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
perhaps, but I stand by my original comment:

sports!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Why do triathletes use rear saddle ,mounts for water bottles [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:
I saw a guy at Unbound a few years ago with 2 BTS bottles during the neutral rollout. He had zero BTS bottles about 5 miles in.

the light bulb goes off in the heads of most triathletes, at some point in early in their careers, and they intuit, "if i start the race with frozen bottles, then 20 miles into the race..." unbound, maybe maybe not whether that was the theory put to practice. if you ride washboard with BTS then best ride with a Dawn to Dusk Kaptive 14.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jan 25, 22 9:25
Quote Reply
Re: Why do triathletes use rear saddle ,mounts for water bottles [PaulMurray1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because my bike only has one bottle mount on the frame and I like to use my own liquid nutrition at races, and I don't want to be rolling the dice every race with a concentrated mix in a single bottle that can get screwed up and be the demise of my GI tract and race. I can't imagine

I'm a ~6:30 bike leg person for a full 140.6, what that means to achieve the above is that I need three to carry 60 ounces with me for each loop of the bike, with a stop at special needs to get a second set of pre-mixed stuff.

I actually hate how a bottle between the aerobars affects handling of the bike - there is so much weight on the front of a triathlon bike as it is. So I usually train and race with a bottle on my frame and two behind the seat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
three, as you see, BTA is about as fast as behind the saddle, and BTA is where it should be. a 500ml bottle behind the saddle is about as inefficient as you can get: doesn't hold much water, have to keep reaching back, have to toss the bottle for a new one at every aid station. the aero cost, the power cost, it's just not a good place for a bottle. the aero and power cost associated with a good BTA is miniscule.

BTA is one bottle. Where's your second? If I'm racing a short course, ok. But for long course I need the downtube aero for concentrated nutrition mix.

I can retrieve my BTS with the other arm still in the aerobars, and place it back within a few seconds on the bullhorns, I don't see much time loss there. But then again I have monkey arms. Finish the BTA, dump and/or swap, depending on the course and aid station placing. Where I race we need a litre on us between aid stations if you don't want to risk running out.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Why do triathletes use rear saddle ,mounts for water bottles [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
Slowman wrote:
three, as you see, BTA is about as fast as behind the saddle, and BTA is where it should be. a 500ml bottle behind the saddle is about as inefficient as you can get: doesn't hold much water, have to keep reaching back, have to toss the bottle for a new one at every aid station. the aero cost, the power cost, it's just not a good place for a bottle. the aero and power cost associated with a good BTA is miniscule.

BTA is one bottle. Where's your second?

BTA. BTA is the first and the second. it's 2 bottles in 1. at least, mine is.

tessar wrote:
If I'm racing a short course, ok. But for long course I need the downtube aero for concentrated nutrition mix.

bingo. that's what i've said pretty much throughout this thread, in a number of posts.

but i am totally cool with wherever you want to put your fluid on your bike. i'm only answering you because you directly asked me.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This reminds me of the old joke. What's the difference between an ITT bike and a tri bike?

Tri bikes start off as ITT bikes and then triathletes mount three water bottles to it, flat kit, spare tubular, multitool, two power meters, two head units, GU gel taped to top tube, and that makes it a tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Paul and All,

Water bottles are slow unless integrated into the bike to improve its aero shape or for control of boundry flow.

I tested a way to carry your liquids that is actually faster aero wise .. but of course the extra weight when filled makes you a bit slower up hil ... jus like a water bottle.

For increased speed you could fill the bladder with air ... and in fact as you use the liquids you should blow into to container it a bit ... so it maintains a full shape.

I have raceed in the past with this configuration and it works well.

If you measure the drag as I did in the San Diego Low Speed Wiind tunnel tests it will increase your speed over not haviing it present .... unless you have a particulaarly large gut.

Wear a chest mounted Camel Back or similar ... under your shirt if legal or outside if required. The additional weight is supported by your almost vertical upper arms and is not noticeable.

It improves your aero shape and makes you faster ... not slower. ... like a water bottle set up.

The ddrinking straw is right at your mouth ... zero drag ,,,, no hands required .... just like when you first found the nipple as a baby ....

One fill is adequate for a half and for a full you can refill at special needs or do a quick baldder swap.

No stopping at aid statiions.

Go faster ......

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Why do triathletes use rear saddle ,mounts for water bottles [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
This reminds me of the old joke. What's the difference between an ITT bike and a tri bike?

Tri bikes start off as ITT bikes and then triathletes mount three water bottles to it, flat kit, spare tubular, multitool, two power meters, two head units, GU gel taped to top tube, and that makes it a tri bike.

Not really any longer, for the expensive bikes at least. Two models, or totally different brand. Cervelo and Specialized come to mind. But a P5 and a P5x are not the same bike. Nor the two different Shiv bikes. The Trinity has a different stem/fork assembly to accommodate the hydration kit. Not even mentioning brands selling only tri bikes that in no way resemble a TT bike. For the base model stuff, sure, no difference really.

It's why I hear triathletes say "I'm getting a TT" bike. And I'm like......."no you're not, you're getting a triathlon bike".
Quote Reply
Re: Why do triathletes use rear saddle ,mounts for water bottles [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:

Wear a chest mounted Camel Back or similar ... under your shirt if legal or outside if required. The additional weight is supported by your almost vertical upper arms and is not noticeable.

It improves your aero shape and makes you faster ... not slower. ... like a water bottle set up.

I bet my friends would pay me to pose for race photos in an aero shape like this.

Thanks for the tip though. If anyone in my circles tries a contraption like that, it'll be me!

On second thought, I try to race triathlons. Sometimes I limp them, sometimes I race them. How many seconds do I have to make up in aero gains during my 40k bike for the time lost in T1 and later in T2 doing funny things with a Camelfront?

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Jan 25, 22 13:08
Quote Reply
Re: Why do triathletes use rear saddle ,mounts for water bottles [tripolar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Possible aero benefit the pros are looking at: https://triallan.com/...-rear-bottle-holder/

Pros definitely report consistent issues with aid stations not being ready. It's a thing they report. And then there's what happened to Zieger - that is a factor.

I personally use your approach of utilizing aid stations and having a concentrated bottle, but I've seen pros lose those aero downtube bottles and then they have a bottle cage that's useless. The bts cage is more dependable in that regard: grab another bottle, slot it back there. Now, the IM course bottles being narrow is a whole other issue/act of genius. Personally, I'm working on a bts cage that addresses that issue... not that I use the cages personally, but maybe I will if I make it.

tripolar wrote:
Position "H" looks, um, interesting. Aero bidet anyone?

And position G *has* to be a joke, right?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next