Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Blu's new bike fit [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:

There you go

Lol, sorry no, I meant do you think his saddle tip is > 5cm on the picture at the top of the thread. We can't see it but I can't imagine it's +5
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

it's pretty far forward.

my first instinct is that descending hawi/snow canyon a good few hours into an IM would be a dicey proposition on that setup.

on the other hand, if he's thinking about this for sub-7, maybe it works. goals there are less about pure areo and handling, and more about comfort and muscle recruitment. i'm assuming sub-7 will be on a really friendly course with limiting demands in terms on handling.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you grow up in Bergen and are into biking. I do not think those hills will be any problem.

Look at 70.3 world. Gustav also from Bergen took a lot of time downhill into T2.
ITU guys can bike handling.
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gustav rather famously did that on a road bike.

road bikes have slacker seat tubes and a more rearward weight distribution than tri bikes.

blu's position looks quite steep, even by tri standards.

placing a lot of weight over the front wheel can compromise handling.

that's the only point i was making.

we all agree that growing up in bergen makes you super at riding a bike and that hills are no problem for the norwegians and that they're smarter, stronger, and more handsome than the rest of us.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gustav used a Giant TT bike at StG
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I don't feel like taking the pic and throwing on a straight line up from the BB, but with a mouse eyeball I imagine the tip of the saddle is roughly equal with the BB. 5cm ahead on that pic would be absurd
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. Some in the know seem to think it will be released in March. Won’t be called trinity though. The trinity I think looks much better than the new one though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Superimposed saddle for perspective:

It's also quite possible that they did a run with the saddle and pads as far forward as the rig would allow just as a trial, but this is not an actual position they were considering, just IG bait.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

It's also quite possible that they did a run with the saddle and pads as far forward as the rig would allow just as a trial, but this is not an actual position they were considering, just IG bait.

I think you might just be on the right lines :D
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

Thanks for this image.

Apparently he is in the limit of the rule, within +5cm (the Ironman rule, not the UCI, of course).

Is it something they are going to test also outside of the wind tunnel ?

To improve SCx by lowering head / shoulders without compressing too much the hip / femur angle, it make sense to go further "in front" of the bike, in the limit of the IM rule.
Apart from the mechanical issues, it does change a bit the balance and driveability of the bike, and maybe have some impact on the muscular / confort aspect.

Anyone here have been experimenting this (tinkering with the +5 cm) ?

Personally, when I moved from UCI rules (TT, Pursuit) with saddle at -5cm and aerobar tips at +75cm (quite a constraint for a 6' with long arms) to saddle around zero cm and aerobar tips around +85cm, it was quite a relief :-)

We will see pretty soon if Blu evaluate positively the balance between (aero ?) gains and confort / muscular impact :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard him and Gustav say in interviews that for his first 70.3 endeavours and Challenge Daytona prep and so on he had quite some hamstring issues riding on the TT bike. Could being this far forward help eleviate some of those issues?
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
I heard him and Gustav say in interviews that for his first 70.3 endeavours and Challenge Daytona prep and so on he had quite some hamstring issues riding on the TT bike. Could being this far forward help eleviate some of those issues?

Hello Jeroen

indeed I noticed that being forrward positionned, it was easier to rely on quads, while backward was apparently making hamstring use easier.

I remenber Eric Lagerstrom saying in a post that moving his saddle a bit backward was a way for him to rely more on the hamstring.
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The third picture (swipe to the right) is interesting :

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZKb6tasHwD/

Seems to me Joe Skipper saddle front is around -6 cm / crank axle vertical (vs +5 in Blu wind tunnel picture)

Probably, with this Argon 18 bike, no problem to move the saddle to +5 cm :-)

Nobody tested a position at +5 cm ?
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw the Joe Skipper velo video yesterday and was quite surprised at the extreme position, basically the opposite of Blu. It almost appeared he as trying to recreate the "superman", while still having his backside on the saddle :D
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianmo80 wrote:
I saw the Joe Skipper velo video yesterday and was quite surprised at the extreme position, basically the opposite of Blu. It almost appeared he as trying to recreate the "superman", while still having his backside on the saddle :D

I had a look to the video also.

Apparently at the beginning of the session his saddle is "in the middle", something like zero or -2 cm, and they are working on the cockpit.

Then at the end he move the saddle backward around 5cm, as we can see on the picture. He says this is for aero reason.
Yep, possibly, but this is possibly closing the hip/femur angle, and changing the way the quads / hamstring are involved...

As you say, totally opposite direction as Blu experimentation.
Quote Reply
Re: Blu's new bike fit [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZhIYBqryyT/

From these pictures, the new fit is being actively used in training.

Hopefully, the new bike will come quickly (or some custom made carbon pieces) it order to have a "cleaner" looking bike :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next