Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Model Y review [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

The thing I don't understand about vision-only. It only looks forward. Those four little circles on the rear are sonar. They can "see" 2-3m at best, and at a pretty narrow field-of-view. For FSD purposes, that's fine for last-resort don't bump into things with your bumper. As a self-driving engineer, I just don't understand what they're plans for doing more complex reverse maneuvers, like backing to a crowded parking lot with a 10-20m manuever. You can sometimes get a good look at the scene with the forward-looking cameras then "hope" that the scene doesn't change as you go in reverse. My conservative nature doesn't like that.

There's also the issue of not seeing things not at bumper level at all. Say you're backing into a spot and there's an SUV with a bunch of 4x4 lumber hanging out the rear window. You're gonna put that lumber right through your rear window....no way of seeing it.

I just don't understand. On the other hand lots of people at Tesla are smarter than I am....

Edit: There is a rear-looking monocular camera. It's theoretically possible they do stereo-through-motion (instead of using two side-by-side cameras to do stereo, you use one camera, but take images in multiple positions). I'll be really impressed if they can pull this off in real time well. It's computationally brutal compared to conventional stereo.

Thanks for your insight. I agree with your sentiments. Scenes are just so much more complex than what you can -reliably- see with CMOS and visible light.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Model Y review [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
The advantage of going vision-only is that you don't have to solve the problem of what to do with conflicting sensor data, particularly with false positives. For example if you have cameras detecting an obstacle ahead, but radar says it's clear... what do you do? Radar is supposedly more reliable in bad weather, etc. But for safety they can't just ignore that camera alert. At the same time, the car cannot run on pure radar.

So ideally a vision system is sensitive enough to avoid false negatives (missing something that should have been spotted), at which point maybe you can ditch the other sensors. However, when you tune it this way, you tend to get more false positives, which cause the behavioral issues people are mentioning like phantom braking.

This gets into precision and recall, which have been quite frequently tuned in the recent patch notes for the FSD beta.

The potential is there to have a robust vision-only system, but the devil is in the details.

Thanks for that. I've seen visualizations of the data streams from the Waymo cars with every sensor known to man, and holy shit, that's amazing. Avoiding conflicting sensor data by just...not collecting it...seems like a total cop-out. When you've got a meat-sack behind the wheel, there's a lot more information available than what a vision-only system would provide, and it's just unfortunate that the human frequently doesn't process all of it. But to create a sensor suite that's less complete...yeah, nah, don't like it.

Eliot
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
also note the claimed 8m range on ultrasonics

That's probably correct, I should have checked before just assuming it was the ~3m I've used. Stil not very far, though, and still, presumaby a pretty narrow beam angle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skimmed through the link and that got me on a self-driving tangent. As people have talked about autonomous cars they have discussed the impact on packing, particularly city parking associated with the standard office commute. The idea being that the car would drop you off at the front of the office and then go find somewhere to park itself. Presumably this will cause massive gridlock if the cars can't find somewhere to go. But my question is if this will break curbside parking meters. Will the car happily street park itself in front of a meter and then use its cameras to watch out for meter maids? I can just picture a meter maid rolling down the street and a half a block in front all of the autonomous cars pulling out onto the street to circle the block and park again when the threat has passed.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Also one more thing that may go overlooked: the Tesla vision-only system clamps your range keeping settings down a notch to 2 through 7. The closest setting is not allowed. Which basically tells me the vision system needs more frames of data to detect if the gap is closing, and the rate. Radar has limitations but that particular aspect is *exactly* what it was designed for, and you get almost instant feedback.

I am assuming you're talking about follow distance? That is true it's only 2-7. Also, it is still limited to 80MPH for auto pilot. I know personally I find that 80MPH annoying considering Idaho has an 80MPH freeway speed limit and I usually set cruise to 82-84, and I can't right now if I want it to auto-steer. It works fine 80+ for just cruise.

~Brad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:

It's not really the bolded. It's just the way to configure / tune vision is different if there are no other sensors in the mix.

That being said, I think their removal of the radar was premature. It smells of beancounters and should have stayed in place until the pure-vision neural network training is sufficient.

I hear you, and I also retain my reservations that vision-only has the potential to be robust enough when you're using it to careen 2-ton vehicles into a maelstrom of other obstacles. Even my toy drone doesn't rely on pure vision, and while it could certainly fuck someone up (or obviously wreck itself), the consequences are orders of magnitude lower than with a car.

Eliot
Quote Reply

Prev Next