Prev Next
Re: Ever needed One (Guns) [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
oldandslow wrote:
J-No wrote:
That’s what I gathered.

(don’t go to church)

Why assume that anyone here doesn't go to church, or that would have an impact on viewpoints of armed security teams in church? Almost no churches where I live would dream of having armed security (perhaps the largest megachurches have some policies, given the large number of attendees). Of course, concealed carry is extremely rare where I live.

A look at the list of mass shootings appears to show that church shootings tend to occur in areas where gun ownership is extremely high. It looks like one church shooting per year for a population of 300M. The motives were all over the place (domestic disuputes, mental illness, racial attacks, pro-life radicalism). Not too much evidence of organized secularist attacks:

https://apnews.com/article/us-news-religion-shootings-race-and-ethnicity-emanuel-kidega-samson-0b2a73fdcf944d19aaafa620bb1d94c0

Can't be, Windy said it's the secularist's fault. I guess somehow they're causing the church shootings, like how gays ruined the institution of marriage.

See above

Gays didn't ruin marriage, the French government post revolution IIRC
Quote Reply
Re: Ever needed One (Guns) [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone Idol wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Can't be, Windy said it's the secularist's fault. I guess somehow they're causing the church shootings, like how gays ruined the institution of marriage.

The same Windy who believes that Biden is going to ban the bible? Yeah, it is a mistake to take him seriously on anything, but on the topic of the USA's poor oppressed christians he really cranks the stupid up to 11.

Specifically which post did I say that?
Quote Reply
Re: Ever needed One (Guns) [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Back in the day you didn't rob churches (or commit mass murder in them) because there was respect for religion (or fear of eternal damnation) there is now much more open hostility to religion (just read this place) meaning an aura of defense has evaporated.

What day are you possibly referring to? Churches were robbed and people slaughtered in churches through out all of *checks notes* history. You can't be this dense, can you? You do know entire wars were fought between religious groups, they did not exactly shy away from sacking a church or slaughtering people in churches. And not even for religious reasons, churches had nice stuff! Vikings loved taking shit from churches, because it was nice stuff.

Or the fucking temple in Jerusalem! It was burned down how many times?

You need to read a history book sometime.
Quote Reply
Re: Ever needed One (Guns) [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
trail wrote:
windywave wrote:
With the secularist movement there is less respect for religion and its institutions.

I don't think secularism is really a "movement" for most. It's just a lack of interest in participating in organized religion. That lack of interest also covers a lack of interest in killing religious people, normally.

And with the recent high-profile place-of-worship mass shootings, I don't think the perpetrators were really identified as "secular." Dylan Roof is a racist. John Earnest (Poway Synagogue) is racist and anti-semite. Devin Patrick Kelley had "aetheist nutter" qualities, I guess.

But in terms of motivations for religion-related shooting, I'd hand-wave the order of motivation as: 1) religion (religion-on-religion hatred), 2) racism 3) nutteryness, 4) activist aetheism?

Back in the day you didn't rob churches (or commit mass murder in them) because there was respect for religion (or fear of eternal damnation) there is now much more open hostility to religion (just read this place) meaning an aura of defense has evaporated.

Back in the day— snort—

Are you talking pre-Nazi? Which century? Are you talking about Antiquity?

You think the lack of fear of eternal damnation gives rise to the attacks at Synagogues? Or a generalized lack of respect for religion? No, I don’t think history supports your theory.
Quote Reply
Re: Ever needed One (Guns) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
windywave wrote:

Back in the day you didn't rob churches (or commit mass murder in them) because there was respect for religion

What day? Religion has been pretty murdery and arsony since the dawn of religion. So that violence associated with aetheism - just trying to mentally nail down a time when there wasn't some combination of racism or bigotry aimed at one religion or another.

Quote:
meaning an aura of defense has evaporated.

Aura of defense? Is that like a holy aura that prevents mean things said on the internet from permeating a place of worship?

For the record, I have no problem with trained, armed people in places of worship.

I'd say definitely pre-Reformation and then it gets fuzzy depending on the flavor of Protestantism (or continued Catholicism) in the area. Don't get me wrong, during a religious war they'd lock the doors and burn a church full of "heretics" but everyday crime and random murders seemed to not be as prevalent
Last edited by: windywave: Nov 28, 21 18:06
Quote Reply
Re: Ever needed One (Guns) [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Happy to entertain and hopefully provoke a little critical thinking from my n=1 experiences.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: Ever needed One (Guns) [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
windywave wrote:

What day are you possibly referring to? Churches were robbed and people slaughtered in churches through out all of *checks notes* history. You can't be this dense, can you? You do know entire wars were fought between religious groups, they did not exactly shy away from sacking a church or slaughtering people in churches. And not even for religious reasons, churches had nice stuff! Vikings loved taking shit from churches, because it was nice stuff.

Wendy is again echoing regressive talking points/ falsehoods in defiance of facts and reason.

In fact both crime and religion are in long-term downtrend.

However, if you are looking to find where religion is stronger than ever, look at prison populations - far more religious than the general population. The proportion of atheists in prison is 0.1% - a small fraction of those in the general population. In truth, it is only when we have locked up the rest of the religious crooks that the world will be safe for us upstanding atheists.
Quote Reply
Re: Ever needed One (Guns) [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
It's interesting to note that it wasn't that long ago - 1996 - that Australia passed their firearms agreement and removed a lot of guns. From 1996 to 1998, gun suicides were cut in about half. But homicides only decreased a little (criminals can still get their hands on guns... go figure?)

Yes I realize the prevalence is far higher in the U.S., not disputing that.

Isn’t this the same country that was locking down so much the cops were beating citizens and they took kids to get vaccinated without parents permission?

Life is great when you don’t have equal fire-power, huh.
Quote Reply
Re: Ever needed One (Guns) [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone Idol wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

The same Windy who believes that Biden is going to ban the bible? Yeah, it is a mistake to take him seriously on anything, but on the topic of the USA's poor oppressed christians he really cranks the stupid up to 11.[/quote

Nah, they will just come out with the King Biden version where they change all of the pronouns.
Quote Reply
Re: Ever needed One (Guns) [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
spudone wrote:
It's interesting to note that it wasn't that long ago - 1996 - that Australia passed their firearms agreement and removed a lot of guns. From 1996 to 1998, gun suicides were cut in about half. But homicides only decreased a little (criminals can still get their hands on guns... go figure?)

Isn’t this the same country that was locking down so much the cops were beating citizens and they took kids to get vaccinated without parents permission?

You really ought to get your news from a reliable source, especially if you're that gullible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Bone Idol wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

The same Windy who believes that Biden is going to ban the bible? Yeah, it is a mistake to take him seriously on anything, but on the topic of the USA's poor oppressed christians he really cranks the stupid up to 11.

Nah, they will just come out with the King Biden version where they change all of the pronouns.

I fixed the attributions for you, since your deep, irredeemable stupidity really deserves to be recognized as yours and yours alone, and not attributed to someone else due only to your inability to use the quote function.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
spudone wrote:

Australian NT Chief Minister has a way with words:

Michael Gunner today implored the online trolls to "get a life" and debunked theories that ADF members in the territory are carrying weapons.
"I urge people not to worry about the insane, unhinged stuff that's spreading online and that overwhelming come from people who don't live here and know nothing about us," he said.
"99.99 per cent of the BS that's flying around the internet about the territory is coming from flogs outside the territory, mostly America, Canada and the UK.
"People who have nothing better to do than make up lies about us because their own lives are so small and so sad.
He said the COVID-19 measures are about attempting to protect the "oldest living culture on the planet".
"We have tens of thousands of years of history and lore, custom and song to keep alive," he said.
"And if anyone thinks we're going to be distracted or intimidated by a tin hat-wearing tosser sitting in their parents' basement in Florida, then they don't know Territorians."
Quote Reply
Re: Ever needed One (Guns) [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
windywave wrote:

232 AD

That's the last time churches weren't robbed. The first church was established in 233 AD. A church SPECIFICALLY refers to christian places of worship.

If Windy meant to refer to all places of worship, the last time a place of worship wasn't robbed was 9501 BCE. Gobekli Tepe was founded after 9500 BCE, and that's the first human settlement.
Quote Reply
Re: Ever needed One (Guns) [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
jharris wrote:
spudone wrote:

Michael Gunner today implored the online trolls to "get a life" and debunked theories that ADF members in the territory are carrying weapons.
"I urge people not to worry about the insane, unhinged stuff that's spreading online and that overwhelming come from people who don't live here and know nothing about us," he said.
"99.99 per cent of the BS that's flying around the internet about the territory is coming from flogs outside the territory, mostly America, Canada and the UK.
"People who have nothing better to do than make up lies about us because their own lives are so small and so sad.
He said the COVID-19 measures are about attempting to protect the "oldest living culture on the planet".
"We have tens of thousands of years of history and lore, custom and song to keep alive," he said.
"And if anyone thinks we're going to be distracted or intimidated by a tin hat-wearing tosser sitting in their parents' basement in Florida, then they don't know Territorians."

That pretty good. Spot on other than conflating Florida and Wisconsin. It’s almost like he knows jharris personally
Quote Reply
Re: Ever needed One (Guns) [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:
jharris wrote:
spudone wrote:

That pretty good. Spot on other than conflating Florida and Wisconsin. It’s almost like he knows jharris personally

If he did he'd sit down and have a beer with him. Speaking of guns, a friend of mine in Australia was driving home one night with his kids when their car was shot at. Oh wait, never mind...
Quote Reply
Re: Ever needed One (Guns) [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
Ever needed One (Guns)

Technically you are not allowed to have one here on the base. But if you talk to the police chief about it, you can get a waiver to have one for hunting purposes…i.e. you can keep one in your vehicle with ammo and so forth without getting into trouble over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ever needed One (Guns) [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
chriskal wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:
jharris wrote:
spudone wrote:

If he did he'd sit down and have a beer with him. Speaking of guns, a friend of mine in Australia was driving home one night with his kids when their car was shot at. Oh wait, never mind...

You're point being? Do you have any idea how rare that occurrence would be in Australia?

Other than one in a cop's holster, do you know when was the last time I even saw a gun in a public place in Australia? Honestly, except for rare occasions of colleagues or associates carrying one in a work capacity, neither do I.

Lived in Sydney for well over 50 years. Commuted by running to and from nearly every job I ever had, regularly varying routes of up to 30km, passing through shopping districts all over the suburbs.

You know where I'd go to buy a gun in Sydney? Again, neither do I. I can't recall ever seeing one gun retailer.

When it comes to guns, the US is a cultural anomaly (and blight) among developed countries.
Quote Reply
Re: Ever needed One (Guns) [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:
chriskal wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:
jharris wrote:
spudone wrote:

You're point being? Do you have any idea how rare that occurrence would be in Australia?

Other than one in a cop's holster, do you know when was the last time I even saw a gun in a public place in Australia? Honestly, except for rare occasions of colleagues or associates carrying one in a work capacity, neither do I.

Lived in Sydney for well over 50 years. Commuted by running to and from nearly every job I ever had, regularly varying routes of up to 30km, passing through shopping districts all over the suburbs.

You know where I'd go to buy a gun in Sydney? Again, neither do I. I can't recall ever seeing one gun retailer.

When it comes to guns, the US is a cultural anomaly (and blight) among developed countries.

Um, that was EXACTLY his point. He was parodying jharris who recently complained that someone may have shot at his car while driving home in Wisconsin. His point was that that would basically never happen in Australia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a school shooting today in Michigan. A 15-year-old sophomore opened fire at his Michigan high school on Tuesday, killing three students and wounding six other people, including a teacher, authorities said.

https://www.npr.org/...michigan-high-school
Quote Reply
Re: Ever needed One (Guns) [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m guessing…

Kid gets annoyed by incident X
Kid goes home angry
Kid is going through puberty, which can be a difficult time in a child’s life
Kid thinks he’ll get daddy’s gun and get his own back on mean kids
Mean kids now dead
Kid’s life destroyed, along with family members of kid and dead children

Oh, and thoughts and prayers, because tighter gun controls would be too much to expect.
Quote Reply
Re: Ever needed One (Guns) [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Re: Ever needed One (Guns) [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
I’m guessing…

Kid gets annoyed by incident X
Kid goes home angry
Kid is going through puberty, which can be a difficult time in a child’s life
Kid thinks he’ll get daddy’s gun and get his own back on mean kids
Mean kids now dead
Kid’s life destroyed, along with family members of kid and dead children

Oh, and thoughts and prayers, because tighter gun controls would be too much to expect.

That appears to have been the case at the recent Texas school shooting. (4 shot, but no dead, thankfully).

I found some of the rhetoric around that case bizarre. Very apologetic about the shooter, right from the start, e.g. the Assistant Police Chief saying "This is not somebody attacking our school." Lots of comments about bullying. Which I'm sure will end up being the legit motive. But just all the rhetoric makes it sounds like a kid bringing a .45 to class and shooting 4 people is little more than a kid getting into a fight after school or something.

Which maybe that's there we're at. If it's not an AR-15 and the intent isn't to kill at Columbine numbers that it's just a kind of typical event.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 30, 21 15:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:
chriskal wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:
jharris wrote:
spudone wrote:

I should've put it in pink... https://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
chriskal wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:
jharris wrote:
spudone wrote:

Sounds like you need a hug from a Trumpy Bear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
satanellus wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:
chriskal wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:
jharris wrote:
spudone wrote:

I should've put it in pink... https://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread

Kay Serrar wrote:
Um, that was EXACTLY his point. He was parodying jharris who recently complained that someone may have shot at his car while driving home in Wisconsin. His point was that that would basically never happen in Australia.

Doh! That's what happens when I post before waking up.

I'll just pull my head in and go on living in this totalitarian, socialist dystopia. ;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next