Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What the hell is there to do in quarantine? [Furiosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Decent camera and tripod, there will be northern lights.
Quote Reply
Re: What the hell is there to do in quarantine? [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
That is really cool. Google tells me that -49C is the equivalent of -45F. That’s a tit nipply, as my old friend Emily would say. Your work sounds very interesting. Have you been deployed to these exotic places before?

You got yer F and C backwards. Minus 49C would be -56F.
Quote Reply
Re: What the hell is there to do in quarantine? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
I'm generally a person who hates sitting still, and I've been home bound for the last 14 days while recovering from surgery. It flew by. I'm sure being on painkillers for the first 7 or 8 days helped, as those days were mainly a blur.

I burned through a ton of Netflix and youtube.
Read some books.
Take an online class, do a deep dive in to subjects that interest you.
Cook.

After the first few days of being bored, time just seems to speed up. I'm mobile now but can't really drive or leave the house and this last week has seriously flown by. I'll send a few emails on my computer, procrastinate a little bit, and before I know it it's like 3 or 4 in the afternoon.

Not to hijack the thread, but I hope your surgery was a planned, routine thing and that you're recovering well.

Thank you. It was a planned hernia repair. Recovery is going well, but it certainly is a slower process then I thought it would be. I had an emergency appendectomy last summer and it was a breeze, I was working out within 2 weeks. I'm two weeks out from this surgery and still quite sore, and apparently it will be another month until I can lift anything substantial. I'm just enjoying the down time and taking it a day at a time for now.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: What the hell is there to do in quarantine? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Fatbike or cross-country skis, or both. You need to get out in the middle of the day, taking advantage of what little daylight there is. I've never been to Yellowknife, but I've spent 30+ winters at latitude 64+. For the sake of your sanity, get outside in the daylight hours.

Also ... I don't think they speak much French in YK?

I don't think I'll have access to any outdoor equipment as I am in a hotel for quarantine, but assuming the rules don't change I will head out for long walks/runs during what little daylight there is. Once up north I will embrace the various levels of twilight when I'm not on shift. They tell me my arctic-rated gear is good to -70F and I intend to find out if that is true, at least to -50. (I have my limits).

In the future my job will be on a national service desk for other weather techs across Canada, and while not being bilingual was not a hindrance to my being hired, I was told that there is a bit of a move afoot to require both English and French language skills in the future. Since my current position is renewed annually then if I can be more useful they are less likely to decide to not renew my position. Gotta play the game a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: What the hell is there to do in quarantine? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a general comment.

This thread is an example of some of the best qualities of the LR: humour, genuine interest in others, thoughtful suggestions, kindness - thank you all for being part of this community!

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Furiosa wrote:
eb wrote:
Fatbike or cross-country skis, or both. You need to get out in the middle of the day, taking advantage of what little daylight there is. I've never been to Yellowknife, but I've spent 30+ winters at latitude 64+. For the sake of your sanity, get outside in the daylight hours.

Also ... I don't think they speak much French in YK?

I don't think I'll have access to any outdoor equipment as I am in a hotel for quarantine, but assuming the rules don't change I will head out for long walks/runs during what little daylight there is. Once up north I will embrace the various levels of twilight when I'm not on shift. They tell me my arctic-rated gear is good to -70F and I intend to find out if that is true, at least to -50. (I have my limits).

In the future my job will be on a national service desk for other weather techs across Canada, and while not being bilingual was not a hindrance to my being hired, I was told that there is a bit of a move afoot to require both English and French language skills in the future. Since my current position is renewed annually then if I can be more useful they are less likely to decide to not renew my position. Gotta play the game a bit.

You probably can use the time to brush up on your Canadian language skills. Aboot, oot, eh, loonie, two-four, double double (not a hamburger), hydro...

Trieatalot

It's a C minus world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Furiosa wrote:
Sulliesbrew wrote:
You should definitely read Labyrinth of Ice.

I had not heard of this story before but it's now on my list. Thanks for the recommendation.

Maybe read it after your return looking at what your station options are. Unless you are going to be on Elsmere Island, then you can plan your escape based on the book. Looks like the Alert station is closest to Ft Conger.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will you be giving us a daily weather report?!
Quote Reply
Re: What the hell is there to do in quarantine? [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sulliesbrew wrote:
Furiosa wrote:
Sulliesbrew wrote:
You should definitely read Labyrinth of Ice.

I had not heard of this story before but it's now on my list. Thanks for the recommendation.

Maybe read it after your return looking at what your station options are. Unless you are going to be on Elsmere Island, then you can plan your escape based on the book. Looks like the Alert station is closest to Ft Conger.

I will be on Ellesmere Island, a bit further south. "South" being a relative term, I think Eureka gets slightly colder average temperatures.

Depending on the food quality I may be tempted to write my own survive-against-the-odds story soon enough.
Quote Reply
Re: What the hell is there to do in quarantine? [turtleherder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turtleherder wrote:
Really good lake trout fishing in Great Slave Lake

The half-starved contestants on "Alone" might argue with you on that point.
Quote Reply
Re: What the hell is there to do in quarantine? [mlawless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mlawless wrote:
Just a general comment.

This thread is an example of some of the best qualities of the LR: humour, genuine interest in others, thoughtful suggestions, kindness - thank you all for being part of this community!

Michael

Uh oh, I didn't mean to help to elevate the discourse in this place. I'll try to do better (worse) next time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Furiosa wrote:
turtleherder wrote:
Really good lake trout fishing in Great Slave Lake

The half-starved contestants on "Alone" might argue with you on that point.

That's more of a statement of the real quality of the contestants chosen vs real world skills. If you were choosing people for a docu-drama would you pick the ones with actual skills? That would be boring! Better to pick the ones that over rate themselves. makes for better entertainment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Furiosa,

In actual response to your question, I suggest having a plan or schedule to follow can be of benefit. I have had to quarantine twice during covid when returning from deployments and without a bit of structure to my time I think it would have been more challenging that it needed to be.

I had a bit of a plan of daily time(s) to read, watch netflix, self-study, exercise. I wasn't a slave to the planned times but that structure helped me feel like there was something to do now and something to do later rather than feeling like there was nothing to do all the time. On the self-study route I picked up a couple of French workbooks (I used Duolingo as well, but I liked the workbook as it meant I wasn't always staring at a screen).

Good luck with quarantine and with the adventure of the North!

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When do you go?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mlawless wrote:
Just a general comment.

Michael

I'm not quite sure where the jharris suggestion would fit into your list.

Trieatalot

It's a C minus world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mlawless wrote:
Furiosa,

In actual response to your question, I suggest having a plan or schedule to follow can be of benefit. I have had to quarantine twice during covid when returning from deployments and without a bit of structure to my time I think it would have been more challenging that it needed to be.

I had a bit of a plan of daily time(s) to read, watch netflix, self-study, exercise. I wasn't a slave to the planned times but that structure helped me feel like there was something to do now and something to do later rather than feeling like there was nothing to do all the time. On the self-study route I picked up a couple of French workbooks (I used Duolingo as well, but I liked the workbook as it meant I wasn't always staring at a screen).

Good luck with quarantine and with the adventure of the North!

Michael

I hadn't thought of making a schedule but that's an excellent idea, especially with waning daylight limiting my opportunities to venture outside I'd better make a plan to make the most of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I play video games or read book. League of Legends and CS:GO are my favs. I found info about esports tips at tips.gg website. I'm going to take part in some tournaments. It's gonna be entertaining. Playing with a pro players helps me to improve my gaming skills too.
Last edited by: WilliG: Dec 3, 21 1:32
Quote Reply
Re: What the hell is there to do in quarantine? [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
In the last 12 months I have completed a total of 7 weeks hotel quarantine and 3 weeks self isolation. Fortunately I was able to work, which helps the time go faster.

My advice is:
Take stretch bands and a skipping rope.
Try and hire an exercise bike.
Download movies on Netflix.
Rearrange your hotel room. Move all of the stuff you don't use into a corner. This will give the illusion of space and give you room to do exercise.
Set yourself a target of xx sit ups, push ups, squats, burpees per day.
During phone calls walk around the room to increase your step count.
I put the bedside table on top of the desk to make a standing desk.
Keep the curtains open to give the illusion of space.
Take a HDMI cable so that you can plug your laptop into the TV.
Take the opportunity to do a detox. During my first 3 week quarantine I went without alcohol and Coke Zero.
Take some liquid soap so that you can do your own laundry.
Stay in contact with family and friends.
I now hate the silence of quarantine. I have a small bluetooth speaker and have music playing.
Consider taking vitamin D supplements.
Take a metal knife, fork and spoon if they only provide disposable cutlery.
Take disinfectant wipes and wipe everything when you first get in the room.
Take your own toiletries.

I am back in quarantine again and following my own advice. A week ago I was thinking that this would be my last quarantine eva, with the new variant maybe not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much space do you have? Can you be inside & outside easily?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What’s going on with you, Furiosa? Where, when, what, who?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:
In the last 12 months I have completed a total of 7 weeks hotel quarantine and 3 weeks self isolation. Fortunately I was able to work, which helps the time go faster.

My advice is:
Take stretch bands and a skipping rope.
Try and hire an exercise bike.
Download movies on Netflix.
Rearrange your hotel room. Move all of the stuff you don't use into a corner. This will give the illusion of space and give you room to do exercise.
Set yourself a target of xx sit ups, push ups, squats, burpees per day.
During phone calls walk around the room to increase your step count.
I put the bedside table on top of the desk to make a standing desk.
Keep the curtains open to give the illusion of space.
Take a HDMI cable so that you can plug your laptop into the TV.
Take the opportunity to do a detox. During my first 3 week quarantine I went without alcohol and Coke Zero.
Take some liquid soap so that you can do your own laundry.
Stay in contact with family and friends.
I now hate the silence of quarantine. I have a small bluetooth speaker and have music playing.
Consider taking vitamin D supplements.
Take a metal knife, fork and spoon if they only provide disposable cutlery.
Take disinfectant wipes and wipe everything when you first get in the room.
Take your own toiletries.

I am back in quarantine again and following my own advice. A week ago I was thinking that this would be my last quarantine eva, with the new variant maybe not.

The best piece of advice I got from your list was to pack my HDMI cable! Watching shows in a proper TV is so much better than a laptop or tablet.

I was lucky, I could go for long walks outside, we were just discouraged from going into the busier parts of town. Shopping was a big no-no. I did curbside pick-up for groceries.

I am good at lazing around for a week. I can stretch it to 10 days. After that I was getting REALLY ready to get out of there. But it wasn't as dull as I'd feared. Then again, if I had to isolate on a regular basis I'd be pretty unhappy about it. Thankfully for my employer they are trying out rapid testing so that might cut the isolation requirement to a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
What’s going on with you, Furiosa? Where, when, what, who?

I wrote a novel on a new post. With pictures!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
How much space do you have? Can you be inside & outside easily?

This is my first quarantine with a balcony. It is nice to be able to sit outside and have a coffee or a beer. Otherwise it is a standard hotel room. I have moved all of the furniture to create an exercise area and space. I hired an exercise bike and dumb bells. I am crazy busy with end of year work so the time is going quickly.

Quote Reply

Prev Next