Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vision Metron Disc or RON Aeron X?
Quote | Reply
Hey there,
I've been reading this forum occasionally and but now need some advice which I didn't find by browsing the topics. So I thought I give it a go:
I'm looking for a disc wheel for my TT bike. Dispite the usual suspect here which would be the Citec 8000 CX I've been looking at the Vision Metron but also the RON Aeron X.
There seems to be no real aerodata for them? Any opinions on them regarding stiffness and build quality? Both are covered spoke wheels I guess so they should be quite tough?

Cheers :)
Quote Reply
Re: Vision Metron Disc or RON Aeron X? [Cornetto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There won’t be probably much difference in aero but in weight.
Depending on race course that is something to consider as well.
Citec is well spread (at least over here in Europe) and know to be light and reliable.
Afik the Aeron X is a Full Carbon Disc and weights a little more than a citec.
For a covered spoke wheel you can also look into a wheelcover (which maybe add about 300 grams to your wheel)

-shoki
Last edited by: shoki: Sep 19, 21 2:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cornetto wrote:
Hey there,
I've been reading this forum occasionally and but now need some advice which I didn't find by browsing the topics. So I thought I give it a go:
I'm looking for a disc wheel for my TT bike. Dispite the usual suspect here which would be the Citec 8000 CX I've been looking at the Vision Metron but also the RON Aeron X.
There seems to be no real aerodata for them? Any opinions on them regarding stiffness and build quality? Both are covered spoke wheels I guess so they should be quite tough?

Check out Hunt Wheels disc too. I’m between that and the Ron for a budget race option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run Metron 80/Disc combo with latex tubes. Fast and comfortable. Highly recommend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cornetto wrote:
Hey there,

massive price difference isn't there?

899 euros for Ron vs 4800 euros for the Vision
Quote Reply
Re: Vision Metron Disc or RON Aeron X? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not the TFW Disc but the older and cheaper one.
The price tag is on par with the Citec and used (as well as the Citec) a bit cheaper than the Aeron X.

I actually looked at Hunt but there doesn't seem to be any disc on their website?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hunt definitely did or do a disc, seems to have disappeared off their website though. Weird.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aeron X is not spokes covered wheel. It is structural carbon wheel. And they do have data and comparison to couple other brands including Zipp https://ronwheels.com/content/11-aerodynamic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Cornetto,

I'm looking at the exact same two disc's - which way did you go in the end?

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Vision Metron Disc or RON Aeron X? [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just took delivery of Aeron X disc brake. It did not take long for delivery. First race on it is tomorrow. Quoted weight is 1195 grams. Mine weighed with tubeless tape and valve 1340 grams so heavier than spec. Other than that it looks fine and mounted a Vittoria speed 2.0 25mm. I suspect it will be fast enough. I had a 80mm rear disc brake wheel with a cover for years. That worked fine and I suspect this might be a hair faster? Might have been a waste of $ but we'll see. I had a Zipp Super 9 clincher on a previous rim brake TT bike. Can't say I can tell any difference disc, to cover, to disc.
Last edited by: arenarob: Apr 29, 22 18:40
Quote Reply
Re: Vision Metron Disc or RON Aeron X? [arenarob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you message Ron, they admit they've changed hubs during Covid and the weight is now over 1300g. Some ST posters even returned theirs for this reason. Seems a bit misleading that they won't update the website, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Vision Metron Disc or RON Aeron X? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
If you message Ron, they admit they've changed hubs during Covid and the weight is now over 1300g. Some ST posters even returned theirs for this reason. Seems a bit misleading that they won't update the website, though.

Thats interesting... Hmmmm are they better or worse hubs?

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I raced the Aeron X yesterday in a TT. Worked just fine. As stated can't tell the difference from a Aerojacket cover but of course any difference is probably only a watt or two.

My previous wheel was an FSE 80MM rear disc wheel that I had a modified aerojacket to create a disc. I had a P5X and when I purchased that bike nobody had a rear disc wheel tubeless disc brake available. I wanted a disc rear for TTs. So I purchased an Aerojacket and cut a larger whole on the disc brake side of hub so that I could get it on. I then just used some tape to cover up the larger whole and close off the gap. Raced that setup for 5 yrs with little issue. pic below. It's a viable option if you have a spare rear. As to weight the new aeronx with disk on and cassette is about 25 grams heavier than my wheel with the aerojacket! That setup is available for purchase :).

AeroJacket Disc Cover - Wheelbuilder

With respect to my order of the Aeron X I paid $1,040 direct from their site and had a coupon for free shipping. There was no sales tax. After shipping I received a notice from DHL that the wheel was subject to a tariff and I had to pay $132 to get it delivered or it was going back to the shipper. I paid the $132. I think the deal is items from Poland above $800 are subject to tariff. Possibly if RON had shipped the wheel with a stated value of $750 it would not have been subject to the tariff?

When the wheel that I purchased ending up weighing 1340 grams and not the 1195 grams quoted I contacted customer service. I told them if they credited me the $132 I'd keep the wheels or otherwise I was returning. They gave me the credit. In the end...maybe $ spent didn't change much?
Last edited by: arenarob: May 1, 22 7:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went for the Vision Disc but sent it back due to quality issues. Wheelcover was broken in several places around the hub and a lot of scratches with decals peeling off. Weight was also 1150g instead of 1050g.
A buddy then offered to order a disc from china directly through his contacts. It's that toroidal/half lense shaped disc that some companies are offering rebranded.
It's not light (1200g) but full carbon, TLR, completely true, rigid and for me it was much cheaper than the Vision one (although rebranded it's the around same price as the discounted Vision).

If I had the choice again, I would probably go for the Aeron X or save for the Citec.
Last edited by: Cornetto: May 23, 22 4:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guys I have my Aeron X and V8 wheelset inbound - does anyone know the stem length required for inner tubes.

I have some brand new 80mm revoloop's here - but they aren't gonna fit so either need some extenders or new tubes,

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry can’t help - but would love to hear how the aeron x is ! Whoomp whoomp of death, pics etc bring it on, I’m looking at one of these to
Quote Reply
Re: Vision Metron Disc or RON Aeron X? [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Sorry can’t help - but would love to hear how the aeron x is ! Whoomp whoomp of death, pics etc bring it on, I’m looking at one of these to

Will post up some pictures when they arrive. :)

Trying to think of ways how I explain to the wife i have them too......and why I'm still driving my 2007 Skoda with 350k on the clock. Hmm perhaps i have my priorities wrong it seems.

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thetrickster wrote:
Guys I have my Aeron X and V8 wheelset inbound - does anyone know the stem length required for inner tubes.

I have some brand new 80mm revoloop's here - but they aren't gonna fit so either need some extenders or new tubes,
Not sure about the v8 but with the Aeron X (at least the rimbrake version), I use 40mm Silca latex tubes and they're perfect. 50mm would probably also be doable but no longer than that.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply