Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is Gustav Iden now the favorite to win Kona? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Not sure how a guy that has never done a race, or even the distance of that race, could be considered the favorite. He will of course be up there in the predictions like so many before him. Always fun to have new blood pitch up to island for the first time, so many dreams dashed on that first day.

The list is very long of first timers that would/could have demolished Kona on their first try, but the list of those that did is about one..

I like his chances though to be in the mix all day long, no real weakness in the 3 events to set him back from the lead group. Now if he gets the 4th event down, then he could be dangerous and maybe # 2 on that short list?

When we go back to the past 6 recent WC performances 2019nice/kona 2021 STG 3men3women) it’s interesting to note that 4 out of 6 were won on the bike.

Yesterday he could have sat in and still won by say a minute on the run but instead chose to drill it up the canyon.

This is just to point out that the way he raced made the race itself interesting and entertaining for positions 2-10.

IMO just to say that his addition and perhaps Blu and others are going to make the race interesting, Jan may finally have someone to bike with at the early front.

Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: Sep 19, 21 9:44
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gustav Iden now the favorite to win Kona? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO just to say that his addition and perhaps Blu and others are going to make the race interesting, Jan may finally have someone to bike with at the early front. //

You must have missed the last Kona race, the one where Jan had two others to bike with most the entire way. And it definitely helped him to stay up there, so adding a couple more to the mix will just make it that much harder for the chasers to close that gap. Really looking forward to all those guys racing together, we may only get one year of an actual race, with Jan on the decline of his prime, while the others are on the incline. Not often that we get to see the older generation actually go head to head with the heirs to their thrones...
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gustav Iden now the favorite to win Kona? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hindsight is always perfect.

But he could have still won or done much better. If he could do a replay.

wheel change at turn around or even well before ,wait for the Wurf train, sit on the back and refuel and run down Jans small lead.

Jan got help from Tim and Ali before he dropped them.
He may not have had such a big lead without so much support on the way back.

Now if we add Iden, lange , Blumm, DB, Currie, Ali and a few others to the front Pack of the bike.

That doesn't help Jan, as he doesn't want company at the run start or to be behind.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gustav Iden now the favorite to win Kona? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
IMO just to say that his addition and perhaps Blu and others are going to make the race interesting, Jan may finally have someone to bike with at the early front. //

You must have missed the last Kona race, the one where Jan had two others to bike with most the entire way. And it definitely helped him to stay up there, so adding a couple more to the mix will just make it that much harder for the chasers to close that gap. Really looking forward to all those guys racing together, we may only get one year of an actual race, with Jan on the decline of his prime, while the others are on the incline. Not often that we get to see the older generation actually go head to head with the heirs to their thrones...

Ok, I think it’s reasonable to say that there’s a pretty clear distinction between everyone “working together” to everyone “riding together” and one guy observing the others for weakness.

This is to say that Jan wasn’t “freeloading” or catching the train, he was at the front of the race doing his fair share and waiting for weaknesses of others to present.

When that happens he puts in 4-8 minutes on the rest of the field, like in the last hour.

So in this case if we have someone like Iden who can swim and perhaps bike with Frodeno, an Ali who can get his nutrition right and control himself at least until Havi top, 1-3 others who can swim and also bike then we have the potential for some pretty interesting race dynamics in February.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gustav Iden now the favorite to win Kona? [CJHess] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJHess wrote:
In his Breakfast with Bob interview, Iden states he is doing Cozumel

crap!! i was signed up for this year but deferred to next year! i could have maybe drafted him on the bike!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gustav Iden now the favorite to win Kona? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
Hindsight is always perfect.

But he could have still won or done much better. If he could do a replay.

wheel change at turn around or even well before ,wait for the Wurf train, sit on the back and refuel and run down Jans small lead.

Jan got help from Tim and Ali before he dropped them.
He may not have had such a big lead without so much support on the way back.

Now if we add Iden, lange , Blumm, DB, Currie, Ali and a few others to the front Pack of the bike.

That doesn't help Jan, as he doesn't want company at the run start or to be behind.
That's generally why Jan drops the hammer at the back end of the bike at Kona, gapping everyone and puts them in their place...
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gustav Iden now the favorite to win Kona? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kind of the first few races there he did not. keep in mind the race talent has grown so much faster since ever 2014.

learned it was his best move to lets others work early and the go late. Kind of everyones best hopes in an ironman.

2014 penalty but not the biker he is now.
2015 good day 2:52 marathon
2016 solid day 2:45 marathon
2017 maybe hurt but couldn't hang with Sebi and LS on the bike. LEARNED.
2018 DNS
2019 made sure of the best bike ever. what you remember now but it was not that way in the past.
Go watch the old footage me was hurting on those bikes and struggling on those runs.

He learned like most will how to make the race easier for your skill set. And is aware that being side by side with some guys at the run start will not be in his favor.

he is the goat because he adapts the weakness into a strength.

We missed an epic IMWC in 2020, and now 2021. Damn those could have been some amazing races.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Last edited by: Triathletetoth: Sep 19, 21 18:25
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gustav Iden now the favorite to win Kona? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair call but if you look at 2017 I’m pretty sure after not going the with Sebi Lionel surge he had the fastest bike split riding solo on the return to town. I personally think he overbiked to get back into contention and that was what caused his back issue on the run. My point was 2019 he showed his dominance in a strong group and set up his race on the bike. Agreed it is sad we may have missed another two years of his dominance but hopefully he can at least put on one more GOAT display for us all…

My personal opinion for all those who think Iden will win Kona first go should read Chris McCormack I’m here to win…
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gustav Iden now the favorite to win Kona? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This post should probably be asking if he’s the favorite to win IM California. Seems to be confirmed by Gustav that he and Jan will be racing. Can’t wait.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gustav Iden now the favorite to win Kona? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a strong maybe for me. Until he does the distance, nails nutrition/hydration and the challenges that come with doubling the distance... who knows? I tend to favor people that have proven themselves at the distance... Jan is a good example of this.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gustav Iden now the favorite to win “2021” Ironman WC (updated title with recent venue change) [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Though I would bump this for fun given the recent news that the 2021 Ironman WC will
be held in St George in May 2022

A couple of reasons Iden is not the favorite included knowing/experiencing the course in Kona, and how poorly a lot of first-timers perform given the humid Kona conditions. He of course still has not raced the distance, but he won’t have those other two issues and unlike some of the other favorites he has raced in St George (and I’m sure the full course will be similar in many ways to the half).

I do wonder if some of the top athletes will treat the St George edition of the WC in May 2022 as a B-race and make Kona in Oct 2022 as their A-race

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gustav Iden now the favorite to win “2021” Ironman WC (updated title with recent venue change) [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
Though I would bump this for fun given the recent news that the 2021 Ironman WC will

A couple of reasons Iden is not the favorite included knowing/experiencing the course in Kona, and how poorly a lot of first-timers perform given the humid Kona conditions. He of course still has not raced the distance, but he won’t have those other two issues and unlike some of the other favorites he has raced in St George (and I’m sure the full course will be similar in many ways to the half).

I do wonder if some of the top athletes will treat the St George edition of the WC in May 2022 as a B-race and make Kona in Oct 2022 as their A-race

If he has a solid IM Cali against Jan then he may have a chance in St George with another 6months of experience.

I'm really interested to see how Jan goes next year because of the age factor. How long can he stretch things out? Others have had a fairly steep decline once they hit 40. Can the younger guys adapt quickly and take advantage of any decline? My head says not.

However if Jan did the double next year he will stay on to 2023 to go for 6 which I think may be a step too far.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gustav Iden now the favorite to win “2021” Ironman WC (updated title with recent venue change) [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adman wrote:
Chemist wrote:

If he has a solid IM Cali against Jan then he may have a chance in St George with another 6months of experience.

I'm really interested to see how Jan goes next year because of the age factor. How long can he stretch things out? Others have had a fairly steep decline once they hit 40. Can the younger guys adapt quickly and take advantage of any decline? My head says not.

However if Jan did the double next year he will stay on to 2023 to go for 6 which I think may be a step too far.

Jan out of IM California. Announced an adventure race in Girona set for the same day as IM California, today

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gustav Iden now the favorite to win “2021” Ironman WC (updated title with recent venue change) [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Wonder if Iden and Sanders pivot and do Cozumel with Blu now.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gustav Iden now the favorite to win “2021” Ironman WC (updated title with recent venue change) [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Adman wrote:
Chemist wrote:

Jan out of IM California. Announced an adventure race in Girona set for the same day as IM California, today

Hmm maybe answered my question already.

Or maybe the May date is changing the timelines. Although I get a feeling the athletes probably knew Feb was a non starter.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gustav Iden now the favorite to win “2021” Ironman WC (updated title with recent venue change) [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just checked, they’re not on the same day. IM California Oct 24. Jan’s deal, Oct 31. And he replied to a comment on IG that makes it look like he’s doing both.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gustav Iden now the favorite to win “2021” Ironman WC (updated title with recent venue change) [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
I just checked, they’re not on the same day. IM California Oct 24. Jan’s deal, Oct 31. And he replied to a comment on IG that makes it look like he’s doing both.

OK, thanks

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did Gustav sign up for California and then Jan pull out?

Jan always laughed off suggestions that anyone might be competition for him (even Lionel) but at the end of Collins cup Gustav was finishing during Jan's interview and Jan completely stopped smiling to nod and say " the future of our sport".

The cool thing about Kona is it often took a few tries to figure out and that gave the defending champ an edge on new comers. Now Gustav will have the advantage at saint George even though he never attended lc wc.

Would've been cool to see Jan and lange launch another campaign on the lava to decide once and for all who is King of Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gustav Iden now the favorite to win “2021” Ironman WC (updated title with recent venue change) [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did Jan saying he was pulling out?

I do find it pretty amazing how fast he's able to get race permits done. Probable helps that this fun show will be gravel.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone above changing their mind after Gustav’s impressive IM debut at Florida today?

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
Anyone above changing their mind after Gustav’s impressive IM debut at Florida today?

As if Halvard wasn’t bad enough already…Norwegian men could hold Olympic/ 70.3/ 140.6 titles all at the same time. Jaysus.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:

Jan smoked the Tri battle not too long ago so I’ll still have him favourite until someone beats him. We also don’t know how Blu will handle 140.6 for a few weeks. To answer your question, today’s race reaffirmed my position that he should be considered one of the favourites.

Also, Easy for me to say but I will die on the “A. Brownlee would dominate if he would just run a smart 140.6 race tactically” hill.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gustav Iden now the favorite to win “2021” Ironman WC (updated title with recent venue change) [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drm437 wrote:
Chemist wrote:

Jan smoked the Tri battle not too long ago so I’ll still have him favourite until someone beats him. We also don’t know how Blu will handle 140.6 for a few weeks. To answer your question, today’s race reaffirmed my position that he should be considered one of the favourites.

Also, Easy for me to say but I will die on the “A. Brownlee would dominate if he would just run a smart 140.6 race tactically” hill.

If Alistair just executes in kona like Western Oz that he won after Kona in 2019 then we are set for something great!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gustav Iden now the favorite to win “2021” Ironman WC (updated title with recent venue change) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
drm437 wrote:
Chemist wrote:

If Alistair just executes in kona like Western Oz that he won after Kona in 2019 then we are set for something great!!!

The issue with the WA race v a world championship is that it was essentially a two man ride for 180 then a TT on the run - there wasn't a "battle" so to speak. When he's been involved in LC races with tactics - thinking Kona, Daytona...he's a player until things have gone sideways.

I think that Blu could very well have a similar race to Gustav in Cozumel - just sit in and enjoy your 180 and then run steady state longer than anyone else can. Smart way to race, but with larger and stronger WC fields that might not be possible.

I don't see AB being amazing at IM distance but...wouldn't be surprised if he just figures it out and has a few dominating performances. Just needs to stay healthy.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply

Prev Next