Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another shining moment for Islam
Quote | Reply
Afghan Christian Convert May Be Ruled Unfit for Trial

KABUL, Afghanistan (March 22) - An Afghan man facing a possible death penalty for converting from Islam to Christianity may be mentally unfit to stand trial, a state prosecutor said Wednesday.

Abdul Rahman, 41, has been charged with rejecting Islam, a crime under this country's Islamic laws. His trial started last week and he confessed to becoming a Christian 16 years ago. If convicted, he could be executed.

But prosecutor Sarinwal Zamari said questions have been raised about his mental fitness.

"We think he could be mad. He is not a normal person. He doesn't talk like a normal person," he told The Associated Press.

Moayuddin Baluch, a religious adviser to President Hamid Karzai, said Rahman would undergo a psychological examination.

"Doctors must examine him," he said. "If he is mentally unfit, definitely Islam has no claim to punish him. He must be forgiven. The case must be dropped."

It was not immediately clear when he would be examined or when the trial would resume. Authorities have barred attempts by the AP to see Rahman and he is not believed to have a lawyer.

A Western diplomat in Kabul and a human rights advocate - both of whom spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter - said the government was desperately searching for a way to drop the case because of the reaction it has caused.

The United States, Britain and other countries that have troops in Afghanistan have voiced concern about Rahman's fate.

The Bush administration Tuesday issued a subdued appeal to Kabul to let Rahman practice his faith in safety.

German Roman Catholic Cardinal Karl Lehmann said the trial sent an "alarming signal" about freedom of worship in Afghanistan.

It has also received widespread attention in Afghanistan where many people are demanding Rahman be severely punished.

"For 30 years, we have fought religious wars in this country and there is no way we are going to allow an Afghan to insult us by becoming Christian," said Mohammed Jan, 38, who lives opposite Rahman's father, Abdul Manan. "This has brought so much shame."

Even the state-sponsored Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission has called for Rahman to be punished, claiming he clearly violated Islamic law.

Rahman is believed to have converted from Islam to Christianity while working as a medical aid worker for an international Christian group helping Afghan refugees in the Pakistani city of Peshawar.

He then moved to Germany for nine years before returning to Kabul in 2002, after the ouster of the hard-line Taliban regime.

Police arrested him last month after discovering him in possession of a Bible during questioning over a dispute for custody of his two daughters.

Afghanistan's constitution is based on Shariah law, which is interpreted by many Muslims to require that any Muslim who rejects Islam be sentenced to death.

Prosecutors have offered to drop the charges if Rahman converts back to Islam, but the defendant has refused.

The case is believed to be the first of its kind in Afghanistan and highlights a struggle between religious conservatives and reformists over what shape Islam should take there four years after the ouster of the Islamic fundamentalist Taliban regime.

Associated Press correspondent Amir Shah in Kabul contributed to this report.

03/22/06 06:15 EST

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Last edited by: parkito: Mar 22, 06 18:43
Quote Reply
Re: Another shining moment for Islam [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder what the Afghans who celebrated the demise of the Taliban think about this?

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: Another shining moment for Islam [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will those wacky conservatives ever recognize the need for separation of church and state?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Another shining moment for Islam [DualFuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Will those wacky conservatives ever recognize the need for separation of church and state?
Stop trying to remove God from public life

Slay the idolaters!!! Slay the apostates!!! It says it in the Koran!!!

I'm disappointed in Dubya on this one. When asked at a press conference yesterday about the Rahman issue, he failed to say that this possible execution is UNACCEPTABLE, no matter the religious implication. Instead, he waffled on about our using our "influence" in Afghanistan to make it clear to Hamad Karzai that he shouldn't be put to death.

Heh?

That's a surefire way to dissipate the overwhelming support of the U.S. troops who are risking their lives to bring some sort of version of freedom and democracy to a a culture (Islamic) that just can't seem to get itself out of a medieval mindset when it's backed into a corner and has to make a decision between choosing modernity or choosing regression.

T.
Quote Reply
Re: Another shining moment for Islam [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm disappointed in Dubya on this one.

How's this for turning things around, I think Bush was pretty good in his talk by admitting that it was disappointing for this to happen in a country we risked our lives to deliver from the Taliban. I will agree he was not firm enough or unequivocal enough but not bad.

This is a first. Me supporting Bush and you not as much.

:)

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply