Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Texas October 2021 [jpanicaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpanicaro wrote:

Thanks for the information! I believe someone commented on the expansion joints on Hardy Toll Rd., did those give you any issues? As far as Texas heat, not sure what its like in April but I train in Southwest Florida where its still 90+ degrees here, so heat shouldn't be an issue for me at all. Any other tips you can give for this race would be great as it will be my first full distance. Thanks again.

I think I mentioned the expansion joints. I should clarify that they didn't give me an issues, per se. I'm in West Texas so almost all my cycling is on chip seal roads. Depending on the condition, then can be rough and rattle you pretty well. The concrete was different because the impact was a jarring impact instead of rattling. It wasn't hard on my body, but it made me worried I may have bolts loose on my bike.

I didn't find the winds out there all that bad at all. I didn't feel like I was getting cooked in the heat either. Light colored concrete is nothing on heat generation vs fresh, black chip seal.

If I had your view on the heat, I think I would have been far better. Most of my training was in 90+ degree weather, I just overthought Houston heat. I was far more worried about cooling and hydration than I needed to be. I took it easier and used way more water and ice than I ever would have training in the same weather.
Last edited by: Traket92x: Oct 11, 21 11:38
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas October 2021 [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
jpanicaro wrote:

Thanks for the information! I believe someone commented on the expansion joints on Hardy Toll Rd., did those give you any issues? As far as Texas heat, not sure what its like in April but I train in Southwest Florida where its still 90+ degrees here, so heat shouldn't be an issue for me at all. Any other tips you can give for this race would be great as it will be my first full distance. Thanks again.

I think I mentioned the expansion joints. I should clarify that they didn't give me an issues, per se. I'm in West Texas so almost all my cycling is on chip seal roads. Depending on the condition, then can be rough and rattle you pretty well. The concrete was different because the impact was a jarring impact instead of rattling. It wasn't hard on my body, but it made me worried I may have bolts loose on my bike.

I didn't find the winds out there all that bad at all. I didn't feel like I was getting cooked in the heat either. Light colored concrete is nothing on heat generation vs fresh, black chip seal.

If I had your view on the heat, I think I would have been far better. Most of my training was in 90+ degree weather, I just overthought Houston heat. I was far more worried about cooling and hydration than I needed to be. I took it easier and used way more water and ice than I ever would have training in the same weather.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jpanicaro wrote:
Upstaterun wrote:
jpanicaro wrote:
Changpao wrote:
gwk100 wrote:
A couple of my buds did finish and when I went to Congratulate them, they both said the Hardy Toll road was Brutal!

What made it so brutal? Heat? Wind? Road conditions? I'm doing IMTX in 2022 and would like to know what to expect.

I am doing my first Ironman at IMTX 2022 as well and would like to know the issues as well. Thank you.

1. This is a great race, even though it wasn't my best performance this year. This was my 2nd time, first time was back with the old bike course. I have raced more than 2 dozen Ironmans.
2. Venue is just great. Athlete and spectator friendly with easy walk from hotels to transition, food, expo, grocery, etc. If flying, easy to get to and from airport in Houston only 30 minutes away.
3. Local food options are amazing for my dietary needs -- like 5 close restaurants with lots of vegan, vegetarian, clean food options.
4. Swim is great. 3 person time trial start. I heard swim temps this year was 78+. Plenty warm. Prepare for water to feel rougher coming back and in the canal.
5. Bike - smoothest road surface I have ever ridden. Very well marked, Very well patrolled at all intersections. Pre-race they told us to expect headwinds going out on the Hardy and tailwinds coming back so I was mentally prepared. I only saw 1 drafter, but at least 5 officials out there. (but keep in mind only 900+ athletes). Surprised there were a few smaller hills out there, good to break things up. I like how the bike is broken up - -about 18 miles to toll road, 20 miles or so out, and back and repeat, then about 7 miles back to transition. The "brutal" part is probably the heat if you are not used to it, and then the headwinds on the out section you do twice.
6. Run is fantastic. 3 mostly flat loops. Very pretty along the canal, through wooded area, nice neighborhoods, tons of spectator support through the hotel/restaurant area and other places.
7. Plentiful volunteer support through all of it was among the best even the volunteers running the post race athlete food cheered for you walking in to pick up your food :)
Happy to answer any questions.

I expected to feel expansion joints but I felt zero and I am usually sensitive to that. However, I run latex tubes and inflated to 80psi's. It was a soft smooth ride for me . .well, every once in a while going up a hill there would be a slight bump but that's it for me. Other tips, relative to me.
-Swim - I planned for a no wetsuit swim, mentally and physically. In training, I didn't ever use a pull buoy to help with that. Note where the canal entrance is, which is nearly all the way back across the lake from the start. Expect it to be rougher in the canal.
-Bike - have to be able to hold aero position for 80 miles with nothing to look at other than the road in front of you and interstate highway on one side. So, be super comfy in that position and mentally strong. and then the usual, stay on top of hydration and nutrition.
-T2 - they didn't have any water in T2 and T2 was completely exposed to the sun. (other Ironman's they usually have a table with water near the exit). I was so hot! A volunteer handed me a bottle of warm water. No aid station until 1 mile out where I finally got cold water and ice, etc. and then started to come around by about mile 2. Wished I had had a bottle of water in my T2 bag.
-Run - unfortunately, I was out there after the sun went down and it was DARK on some of the paths. Very dangerous to be running in that. I wished I had checked sunset, and if I thought it might be remotely possible I still be out there, to put a light in my special needs bag that I grab the last loop to light the way.
Last edited by: Upstaterun: Oct 11, 21 12:08
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas October 2021 [Upstaterun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Upstaterun wrote:
jpanicaro wrote:
Upstaterun wrote:
jpanicaro wrote:
Changpao wrote:
gwk100 wrote:
A couple of my buds did finish and when I went to Congratulate them, they both said the Hardy Toll road was Brutal!

What made it so brutal? Heat? Wind? Road conditions? I'm doing IMTX in 2022 and would like to know what to expect.

I am doing my first Ironman at IMTX 2022 as well and would like to know the issues as well. Thank you.

1. This is a great race, even though it wasn't my best performance this year. This was my 2nd time, first time was back with the old bike course. I have raced more than 2 dozen Ironmans.
2. Venue is just great. Athlete and spectator friendly with easy walk from hotels to transition, food, expo, grocery, etc. If flying, easy to get to and from airport in Houston only 30 minutes away.
3. Local food options are amazing for my dietary needs -- like 5 close restaurants with lots of vegan, vegetarian, clean food options.
4. Swim is great. 3 person time trial start. I heard swim temps this year was 78+. Plenty warm. Prepare for water to feel rougher coming back and in the canal.
5. Bike - smoothest road surface I have ever ridden. Very well marked, Very well patrolled at all intersections. Pre-race they told us to expect headwinds going out on the Hardy and tailwinds coming back so I was mentally prepared. I only saw 1 drafter, but at least 5 officials out there. (but keep in mind only 900+ athletes). Surprised there were a few smaller hills out there, good to break things up. I like how the bike is broken up - -about 18 miles to toll road, 20 miles or so out, and back and repeat, then about 7 miles back to transition. The "brutal" part is probably the heat if you are not used to it, and then the headwinds on the out section you do twice.
6. Run is fantastic. 3 mostly flat loops. Very pretty along the canal, through wooded area, nice neighborhoods, tons of spectator support through the hotel/restaurant area and other places.
7. Plentiful volunteer support through all of it was among the best even the volunteers running the post race athlete food cheered for you walking in to pick up your food :)
Happy to answer any questions.

I expected to feel expansion joints but I felt zero and I am usually sensitive to that. However, I run latex tubes and inflated to 80psi's. It was a soft smooth ride for me . .well, every once in a while going up a hill there would be a slight bump but that's it for me. Other tips, relative to me.
-Swim - I planned for a no wetsuit swim, mentally and physically. In training, I didn't ever use a pull buoy to help with that. Note where the canal entrance is, which is nearly all the way back across the lake from the start. Expect it to be rougher in the canal.
-Bike - have to be able to hold aero position for 80 miles with nothing to look at other than the road in front of you and interstate highway on one side. So, be super comfy in that position and mentally strong. and then the usual, stay on top of hydration and nutrition.
-T2 - they didn't have any water in T2 and T2 was completely exposed to the sun. (other Ironman's they usually have a table with water near the exit). I was so hot! A volunteer handed me a bottle of warm water. No aid station until 1 mile out where I finally got cold water and ice, etc. and then started to come around by about mile 2. Wished I had had a bottle of water in my T2 bag.
-Run - unfortunately, I was out there after the sun went down and it was DARK on some of the paths. Very dangerous to be running in that. I wished I had checked sunset, and if I thought it might be remotely possible I still be out there, to put a light in my special needs bag that I grab the last loop to light the way.

Thanks for the great feedback and tips! I dont think riding on the highway will bother me too much. Most of my riding is done indoors and my other rides are done on closed bike trails with not much to look at, so I think I will be ok. Swim is my weakest sport, so thats my biggest concern.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas October 2021 [gwk100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim is swim. Texas lake water, Not much visibility so very hard to draft someone. Best in my opinion to swim straight out to the bouys and stay along the middle down to the turn buoy. Basically broken into thirds( down, up, and down the canal). Canal I hear gets worse as race progresses. You can stand if you need to along the shoreline and in many areas of the canal. For first timers this may be comforting to know.

The toll road is tough because its boring and one way is typically in the wind. Race day had a descent headwind going south with worsened as the day progressed. On my first north bound trip, i was averaging about 26-27mph and felt no head wind. In the heat this makes it feel too hot. Good at stations to get two water bottles( one to drink and one to hose yourself down with). The bike course was thin with bikes, so no drafting. With that heavy head wind, legal drafting still feels good but that day I rode pretty much alone for the whole ride. Felt like I was in wrong place.

Run is a great run( although i personally had a terrible run day). Three laps around a well populated race venue. Lots of people to cheer you on. Very few dead spots. East Shore tends to be the hot spot on the run course. Run around the canal always helps gets your pace up because of the all the people, especially the Hippie Hollow group.

Run aid stations consistently have tables for water, gatorade, coke, red bull, and ice).

Despite the race frequently having execution problems, it is a great race. Frequently tends to be hot. The April time slot will often be wet suit legal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Swim is my weakest sport, so that's my biggest concern."

The swim allows you to swim as wide as you need to avoid contact or to swim closer in to get the draft. It's that way the entire way (canal a little more congested but not crazy). (e.g., as compared to IMWI reports this year, with 2 loops and it sounded crazy congested the entire time).

They also provided a practice swim time the day before the race, 8-10 a.m. You had to wear your chip. They had the course buoys set up so you could see the course layout, and then an additional red buoy 500 yards out that you could swim out and back, all with kayak support.

Race day also had plenty of kayak support all along the way.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Texas October 2021 [Upstaterun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate all the feedback, I think the swim will be good with having room to get away from everyone and I am hoping for a wetsuit swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I appreciate all those who are providing details about the race and conditions. April 2022 will be my third shot at IMTX after a cancelled 2020 and 2021; it will also be my first full IM. It helps to know as much as possible about what to expect.
Quote Reply

Prev Next