Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sram AXS wireless TT shifter [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
as to your point about getting manufacturers to change, this is the first time i've ever come across a product in this class with a battery that is neither rechargeable nor replaceable. i'm not sure how SRAM is supposed to change. every other shifter, power meter, controller it makes has renewable power.

Maybe it's about keeping them from changing then :)

After reading the front page article, I think it's fairly clear that SRAM had zero intention of the wireless blips being used in aerobar application when they were designing it. From the hacks needed for mounting and lack of ability to pair without another shifter. That makes me wonder about the 4-7 yr life claims if their testing has been as a secondary sifter from a primary shifter or if it even matters.

For an aerobar solution with a serviceable battery, I'd think you'd need one that fits into the ID of the aero bar itself. Maybe something as common as a AAA or hearing aid battery would work if you're going replaceable.
Last edited by: mgreer: Jan 4, 22 12:37
Quote Reply
Re: Sram AXS wireless TT shifter [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
Slowman wrote:
as to your point about getting manufacturers to change, this is the first time i've ever come across a product in this class with a battery that is neither rechargeable nor replaceable. i'm not sure how SRAM is supposed to change. every other shifter, power meter, controller it makes has renewable power.

Maybe it's about keeping them from changing then :)

After reading the front page article, I think it's fairly clear that SRAM had zero intention of the wireless blips being used in aerobar application when they were designing it. From the hacks needed for mounting and lack of ability to pair without another shifter. That makes me wonder about the 4-7 yr life claims if their testing has been as a secondary sifter from a primary shifter or if it even matters.

For an aerobar solution with a serviceable battery, I'd think you'd need one that fits into the ID of the aero bar itself. Maybe something as common as a AAA or hearing aid battery would work if you're going replaceable.

here's what i think the future will prove out as the best set up: the electronic guts inside of a zipp vuka shift 90 placed into whatever extension you want. if i'm profile, or speedbar, or whomever, i want to buy those electronics, and if i'm SRAM i want to sell those electronics. so, that's for the bar ends. these wireless blips, however, are great for remote shifters, on the pursuits, because they have their own batteries, no wires, and worst worst worst case if you lose the electronics on the bar end shifters you at least have shifting at the pursuits (because the wireless blips are semi-smart, they're not slaves, they're paired to the derailleurs).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
your first mistake was assuming i was employable.

Jan 4th and we already have a quote of the year nominee.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Sram AXS wireless TT shifter [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
I’m happy with what I use

I'd be happy with that. Unfortunately UCI rules put this thing at a 4x3cm premium over the electronic option, which my position can't afford. Not everyone will be like me of course, but some will.
Quote Reply
Re: Sram AXS wireless TT shifter [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runorama wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
I’m happy with what I use

I'd be happy with that. Unfortunately UCI rules put this thing at a 4x3cm premium over the electronic option, which my position can't afford. Not everyone will be like me of course, but some will.

I thought you had something similar but in a 2x

Last edited by: MrTri123: Jan 4, 22 17:35
Quote Reply
Re: Sram AXS wireless TT shifter [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blainyboy8 wrote:
They are huge and ugly as sin. Who would want that on their aero bars?

I would probably take it over exposed wires. Before I switched to AXS, I ditched wires and clics/blips and was shifting simply from the etap blip box. It was a bit large and unruly but avoided any wires at all and saved me money on clics/blips. The ones shown on Dan’s bike don’t actually look that large to me.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jan 4, 22 20:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was not UCI compliant notwithstanding the bottle, and from a DU race so it was fine. I used to have the tririg extentions, which I could get UCI compliant with mech shifters for TTs. I posted a picture of that before. Since I changed to the aerocoach 35o angles seen above both lenght and height can't be made compliant with mechanical shifting. I'm now running a 56t NW chainring so the left shifter is gone. I'm hoping to get a cheap rival rd and wireless blips setup. Otherwise I'll just go fixed for the 2-3 flatish TTs I do every year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://bikerumor.com/sram-wireless-blips/

Available in April 2022 for $99 USD

Not sure I like the placement of these on the basebar. Seems like it could be a bit awkward for the hands/fingers?

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Feb 8, 22 9:06
Quote Reply
Re: Sram AXS wireless TT shifter [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qZCgcvW-iU

Shane Miller saying they are available now but I don't see anywhere in the US to buy them.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Sram AXS wireless TT shifter [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got some of these (finally) and made up some holders for TT bar ends if anyone wanted something that doesn't require cutting or taping on, the legs are slightly tampered so press fit snug into the bar ends

Grab the STL File here - https://www.tinkercad.com/things/aQRtAzOaktD

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Sram AXS wireless TT shifter [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very slick. Thanks for sharing. Are you using double sided tape to keep the blips in the mount?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Sram AXS wireless TT shifter [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
Very slick. Thanks for sharing. Are you using double sided tape to keep the blips in the mount?

Yep. They are light so don’t need anything too strong / thick either

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those of you that have the wireless blips, how are they working out? I can’t get over the bulkiness of them but I’m only looking at pictures. I’m considering putting them on some new extensions but have some reservations.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
For those of you that have the wireless blips, how are they working out? I can’t get over the bulkiness of them but I’m only looking at pictures. I’m considering putting them on some new extensions but have some reservations.

of all the things i might say about them, bulky is not among them. it must be just the pics you're looking at. they're really quite small and spare. i have never used a shifter of any type that's as small as this, impressive when you consider that it contains its own power supply.

personally, i think they're the best bar end shifters going. there are 2 issues i have with them, which i've written about, and i suspect SRAM is working to solve both.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Dan. I think it’s the mounting on extensions that is throwing me off. It just doesn’t look integrated or seamless. It makes the blips look out of place.

I’m looking to put these on some drag2zero bars which look pretty well integrated. I haven’t seen any mounting nearly as nice as the below picture.

I’m not worried about needing a controller to pair as I’ve already got one and don’t plan to get rid of the wired blips on the base bar…. at least initially.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Thank you Dan. I think it’s the mounting on extensions that is throwing me off. It just doesn’t look integrated or seamless. It makes the blips look out of place.

I’m looking to put these on some drag2zero bars which look pretty well integrated. I haven’t seen any mounting nearly as nice as the below picture.

I’m not worried about needing a controller to pair as I’ve already got one and don’t plan to get rid of the wired blips on the base bar…. at least initially.

look at how i mounted them on a Ku. they're small. it just depends on how you mount them.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These Leap mounts are the best I have found.
Paired with their button mods, the result is very clean.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Last edited by: tri-tele: Dec 1, 23 18:32
Quote Reply
Re: Sram AXS wireless TT shifter [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:

URL is bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Sram AXS wireless TT shifter [Bryan!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fixed it

Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Sram AXS wireless TT shifter [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:

Those look great

What internal width do you order for most 22.2 external extensions if you know?

Im confused as to which button choices to order

Smooth, grip, small, no button?
Last edited by: MrTri123: Dec 2, 23 4:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the grip buttons and the 18-20 mounts for my QR VP-Rs Vision Pro extensions.

Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply

Prev Next