Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gotta love this administration - Snow's comments
Quote | Reply
When CEOs run the country, you get a government that institutionalizes their outsized sense of importance.
------------------

WASHINGTON -- Confronting criticism of the Bush administration's economic record, Treasury Secretary John Snow said the widening gap between high-paid and low-paid Americans reflects a labor market efficiently rewarding more-productive people. But he insisted most Americans are benefiting from the economic expansion.

"What's been happening in the United States for about 20 years is [a] long-term trend to differentiate compensation," Mr. Snow said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal last week. "Look at the Harvard economics faculty, look at doctors over here at George Washington University...look at baseball players, look at football players. We've moved into a star system for some reason which is not fully understood. Across virtually all professions, there have been growing gaps."

Mr. Snow said the same phenomenon explains why compensation for corporate chief executive officers has climbed so sharply. "In an aggregate sense, it reflects the marginal productivity of CEOs. Do I trust the market for CEOs to work efficiently? Yes. Until we can find a better way to compensate CEOs, I'm going to trust the marketplace."
Quote Reply
Re: Gotta love this administration - Snow's comments [rundhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may be mistaken, but the 20 years he refers to doesn't specify any one administration.

How that happens to fall onto this administration (based on your thread's preface) is beyond me.

What an amazing economic expansion taking place. By the way, don't tell Wall Street or the rest of the markets reaching nearly the highest levels of all time.

I presume they are just reflecting some other country's economy.
Quote Reply
Re: Gotta love this administration - Snow's comments [Startmeup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except what percentage of the population invests in the stock market? I don't think it's(the market) the best indicator of economic health for the average Joe. In fact, high markets would do nothing to counter the problem a growing wealth gap. It could very likely be more evidence FOR that the growing gap in wealth.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: Gotta love this administration - Snow's comments [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The percentage of stock ownership is way up, approaching 50% I think. Mostly through pension plans of various flavors. Home ownership is near an all time high at nearly 70%.

Unemployment below 5%, below 3% in Florida, believe it or not. Interest rates are low. Stock market up. Housing way up.

This is kind of like the civil war in Iraq. Everyone knows the economy is bad, they just can't find any evidence of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Gotta love this administration - Snow's comments [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The ICI/SIA stock ownership study shows that 50.3 percent of U.S. households owned stocks outright or in mutual funds in 2005, compared with just 19 percent in 1983 -- about when baby boomers were just entering the prime saving and investing time of middle age. The report shows that 52 percent of all stock market investors were 50 or older last year, of which 19 percent were 65 or older."

Sounds as if large groups are being left out of the loop if only 25% of stock owners are 50 or younger.

Furthermore, I don't believe I said the economy was bad. Pretty sure all I was saying is that the stock market isn't the best indicator of economic health overall, especially for the average Joe.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]
This is kind of like the civil war in Iraq. Everyone knows the economy is bad, they just can't find any evidence of it.[/reply]

LOL! The Emperor has no clothes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right...average Joe might be putting some money in his 401k, so stock gains now may help him in 30 years when he retires...

Joe's house is appreciating, but Joe and his family need someplace to live, so it's not on the market, and any gains won't really show up until he sells the place in 10-20 years..

Joe is more concerned with day-to-day stuff like gas being $2.65/gallon all of a sudden, and the ever-increasing cost of health care. His wages aren't really keeping up with that. So Joe says the economy isn't great -- at least for him -- despite high stock prices and spiking real estate values.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
12.4 % of our population is over 65, so the fact that 19% of stockholders are over 65 doesn't seem out of line.

Maybe you have taken the new math, since your numbers indicate that 48% of stock owners are under 50 since 52% are 50 or older.

In general, those numbers seem right in line with what you would expect. I doubt too many children have bought stocks, unless their parents bought the stocks for them.

I find the fact that 50% own stocks is amazing, since most people spend every nickle they make no matter what they make.
Quote Reply
Re: Gotta love this administration - Snow's comments [peter826] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poor Joe. He just keeps getting richer and richer.

You have to feel for him. Life is so tough. I just can't figure out why so many are trying to get into this country with the deck stacked against them the way it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should have written that only 25%, roughly, of the total population under the age of 50 owns stock. (50% of total population owns stock, 52% of that is 50 or older, leaving 48% of the initial 50% spread over all demographics under age 50).

For some reference, 36% of the US population is between the ages of 25-44.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, still not seeing your point. Older people are more likely to own stock. That has always been true to my knowledge.

If you want greater income equality try the Haitian economic model. The gap between the 10th percentile and the 90th percentile is really small.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the point:

The stock market was used as an example of economic health, especially in light of growing gaps in wealth and wages.

I questioned whether that(the stock market) was a good example for measuring such health, especially the aforementioned gap in wealth. I believed, wrongly, that stock ownership would be more along the lines of 25-30% of the general population. Because of that, I further posited the idea that increases in the stock might actually be MORE indicative of growing wealth/income gaps.

To my surprise, stock ownership is roughly 50%. However, in breaking down those numbers it does appear that certain demographics are under-represented in stock ownership. Therefore, using stock ownership as an indicator of economic health, especially in the context of a growing wealth/income gap is not appropriate. And, as I pointed out, a booming stock market might actually mean growing wealth/income gaps.

And no, I am not advocating for income/wealth equality. But the distribution of wealth in this country is decidedly problemmatic.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"But the distribution of wealth in this country is decidedly problemmatic."

I agree with this, but you won't like my solution. Privatize Social Security and create an ownership society and a society with greater savings that way.

The reality is you will never get a much better wealth distribution than we have without empoverishing society since the majority of people spend everything they make. It is a free society. They have a right to do that, but skewed wealth statistics are the inevitable consequence.

Note that if you properly fold the value of people's Medicare and SS entitlement into their net worth, the stats look a lot better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find that 50% number really hard to swallow. My experience is different and I'm in the field. Nevertheless, we also have to keep in mind that many of the "stocks" or "stocks in mutual funds" that people own are in a 401(k) or other retirement vehicle, which they can't (without penalty) access until they're 59.5, so it isn't really impacting their financial life today.

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply