Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Surprising Facts [slow_bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slow_bob wrote:
malte wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
malte wrote:
If you plan to travel by car from Poland to Japan, there's only a single country you need to cross.

Drive from Poland to Kaliningrad Oblast, ferry car across Baltic Sea from Kaliningrad to St. Petersburg, drive across Russia, ferry to Japan. You technically only drove in Poland and Russia.

How’d I do?

Full marks! :-)

Taking the ferry isn't really traveling by car I think. Why not walk to Japan directly, not crossing any countries at all? :-) (i.e. walk to Warsaw Airport and fly to Japan).

I agree. It was the only way I saw to solve it. It’s a flawed “surprising fact.”

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Surprising Facts [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Potatoes have more chromosomes than humans.

So do chimps and gorillas. I think it's our 2nd chromosome that is the fused version of 2 ancestral ape chromosomes, even has vestigial telomeres in the middle of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Surprising Facts [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well some crabs have over 200 chr. Some plants over 1,000.
I think it’s just funny that a potato has just one more pair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Potatoes have more chromosomes than humans.

What about Mr Potato Head?
Quote Reply
Re: Surprising Facts [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know. Probably 46.5 chromosomes. He’s not all finished.

Potato genetics are surprisingly complex
https://www.pnas.org/content/114/46/E9999
Quote Reply
Re: Surprising Facts [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
slow_bob wrote:
malte wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
malte wrote:
If you plan to travel by car from Poland to Japan, there's only a single country you need to cross.

Drive from Poland to Kaliningrad Oblast, ferry car across Baltic Sea from Kaliningrad to St. Petersburg, drive across Russia, ferry to Japan. You technically only drove in Poland and Russia.

How’d I do?

Taking the ferry isn't really traveling by car I think. Why not walk to Japan directly, not crossing any countries at all? :-) (i.e. walk to Warsaw Airport and fly to Japan).

I agree. It was the only way I saw to solve it. It’s a flawed “surprising fact.”

Gee, you guys are picky. I consider regular ferry services to be part of normal car travel (i.e. when I drive from Paris to Calais, take the ferry to Dover, and drive on to London, I would moste definitely say I traveled from Paris to London by car.) There is a regular ferry service from Kaliningrad to St. Petersburg, and there is regular ferry service from Russia to Japan. So my point stands, nitpickers.
Quote Reply
Re: Surprising Facts [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
malte wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
slow_bob wrote:
malte wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
malte wrote:

How’d I do?

Gee, you guys are picky. I consider regular ferry services to be part of normal car travel (i.e. when I drive from Paris to Calais, take the ferry to Dover, and drive on to London, I would moste definitely say I traveled from Paris to London by car.) There is a regular ferry service from Kaliningrad to St. Petersburg, and there is regular ferry service from Russia to Japan. So my point stands, nitpickers.

But it’s no different than saying you can drive from the USA to Switzerland only crossing one country. Start driving in USA, ferry to France, drive through France to Switzerland.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A day on Venus is longer than a year.
Quote Reply
Re: Surprising Facts [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
malte wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
slow_bob wrote:
malte wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
malte wrote:

How’d I do?

But it’s no different than saying you can drive from the USA to Switzerland only crossing one country. Start driving in USA, ferry to France, drive through France to Switzerland.

OK. What's the timetable of the ferry service from the US to France?
Quote Reply
Re: Surprising Facts [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ferry… freighter… what’s the difference? 😁

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:

Not on Venus. ;)

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Surprising Facts [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
Francois wrote:

Not on Venus. ;)

That’s because you’d combust immediately;)

Anyhow, you know what I meant :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Francois wrote:

Not on Venus. ;)

You wouldn't combust, because of the lack of oxygen. Some things would melt.
Quote Reply
Re: Surprising Facts [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Francois wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Francois wrote:

Not on Venus. ;)

Excellent point. Didn’t think about that. Doh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.investopedia.com/...mies/#17-netherlands

Holland is the second largest agricultural exporter in the world. With something like 15 million people and hardly any land. The GDP of South Korea is almost the same as Russia.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many people know that Babe Ruth led the AL in home runs 12 times, batting average one year, and ERA one year.

He also stole home 10 times during his career.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Surprising Facts [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
I've posted on this before but John Tyler (born in 1790, only a year after Washington was inaugurated), the 10th U.S. President (inaugurated in... 1841?), has a living grandchild in Harrison Ruffin Tyler (another grandchild passed away less than a year ago).

https://en.wikipedia.org/..._Tyler#Personal_life

https://www.nytimes.com/...r-tyler-jr-dead.html

Thanks! I was on a call yesterday with a group of friends who consider themselves very knowledgeable about US politics and history. I trotted out your fact and was met with a chorus of utter disbelief and demands for proof. Was happy to supply it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For any prime number greater than 3, p^2-1 is a multiple of 3 (even of 24 actually).

I know super useful stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The sum of the whole numbers from 1 thru 10, is 55

good for bets with kids

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Surprising Facts [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The legend is that Gauss gave a proof as a 7 year old in the general case (1+…+n = n(n+1)/2)…when the school teacher asked the kids to sum all first 100 integers to have some respite.

He wrote

1+…+n = Sn
n+…+1 = Sn
And realized you can sum the n terms of the two sums in pairs and get

(n+1)+…(n+1) = 2Sn
So
n(n+1) = 2Sn and Sn = n(n+1)/2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
The legend is that Gauss gave a proof as a 7 year old in the general case (1+…+n = n(n+1)/2)…when the school teacher asked the kids to sum all first 100 integers to have some respite.

He wrote

1+…+n = Sn
n+…+1 = Sn
And realized you can sum the n terms of the two sums in pairs and get

(n+1)+…(n+1) = 2Sn
So
n(n+1) = 2Sn and Sn = n(n+1)/2

Yes, and he got spanked for it, because he spoiled the teacher's quiet time. Can't be easy to be a genius.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
chaparral wrote:
Francois wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Francois wrote:

Not on Venus. ;)

Excellent point. Didn’t think about that. Doh

So, you wouldn't burst into flame, but you'd just become charcoal?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Surprising Facts [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We could send windy and test it, but he's full of air, so he'd likely combust.
Quote Reply

Prev Next