Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

China lands on Mars
Quote | Reply
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-57122914

Maybe they start building a base and claim the entire Mars for themselves.
Quote Reply
Re: China lands on Mars [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:

Then we send some robots to go smack down their robots. And thus would begin the dawn of the Robot War era. Until the Chinese and American robots go self-aware, team up, and turn their attention back to Earth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting article, thanks. I didn't remember that we first did it with Viking-1 in 1976. They're just a few years behind. And they don't have a cool chopper.
Last edited by: zed707: May 15, 21 12:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahhh, so that’s where Long March 5b ended up.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: China lands on Mars [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
Interesting article, thanks. I didn't remember that we first did it with Viking-1 in 1976. They're just a few years behind. And they don't have a cool chopper.

We've already established air superiority on mars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:

Now we got to say "get to the choppa' " on the Mars, too.
Quote Reply
Re: China lands on Mars [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
zed707 wrote:

We've already established air superiority on mars.

But just wait til til their robot releases MARS-Robid-2 from its onboard lab, causing the collapse of Western Mars robot society.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Mars is a world completely inhabited by robots from another planet." -- RandMart (paraphrased)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At some point, in the not-so-distant future, are we (the collective) going to send something to Mars to clean up all of the dead rover litter?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: China lands on Mars [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
At some point, in the not-so-distant future, are we (the collective) going to send something to Mars to clean up all of the dead rover litter?

No.

Considering the amount of junk and debris we leave in orbit around our own planet, I think the space guys don't really care about what's left behind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

We possibly left living organisms there too. So my worry is that over the next few billion years that evolves to some species that will compete with earth life. We have a head start, at least. But eventually the solar system may be too small for the both of us.
Last edited by: trail: May 15, 21 17:20
Quote Reply
Re: China lands on Mars [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So my worry is that over the next few billion years that evolves to some species that will compete with earth life.
---
I think that the only reason this will be a thing is if we actually try living on Mars as a species. The environments are so vastly different that the desire for competition, past overt jerkishness, will make humans v. martians a non thing. The real competition will be how either human or martian escapes our solar system before the sun runs out of energy in about 5 billion years or so.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
\ in about 5 billion years or so.

By then we may have escaped the need to exist within fragile bags of water that decay to shit in around 100 years.

Hopefully we'll just be beaming ourselves around at at least the speed of light.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I clicked on another article on this, and learned something new. The Viking-1 landing I alluded to earlier was not the first successful landing on Mars. It was the Soviets in 1971. I'm glad I didn't claim we were the first, just that Viking-1 was our first. The Soviet lander only transmitted back for 20 seconds, but it survived the landing long enough to transmit back, so I guess you have to call that a successful landing.

US Outlet ‘Forgets’ About Soviet Mars Landing in Story About China’s Tianwen-1 Probe - Sputnik International (sputniknews.com)

Yay China! You did it in 2021.
Last edited by: zed707: May 15, 21 19:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We’ve seen how this story plays out over time in the documentary “The Expanse”

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:

Kind of. While a ridiculous accomplishment in 1976, it was not a rover. Viking 1 and 2 were stationary landers. Yes, the chopper is very cool!
Quote Reply
Re: China lands on Mars [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
"Mars is a world completely inhabited by robots from another planet." -- RandMart (paraphrased)

Thanks for keeping that one going

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: China lands on Mars [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:

Thanks for keeping that one going

I thought it was so special that I used it for my tag line before that virus thing. :-)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: China lands on Mars [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it was also decided that we could say "Venus is inhabited only by corpses of robots from another planet"

Quote Reply
Re: China lands on Mars [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
softrun wrote:

Then we send some robots to go smack down their robots. And thus would begin the dawn of the Robot War era. Until the Chinese and American robots go self-aware, team up, and turn their attention back to Earth.

"The Clone Wars, It will be."
Quote Reply
Re: China lands on Mars [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not quite how that went

The Droid Army never became fully sentient, and were actually pretty fucking stupid ["roger roger"] which is why they had to outnumber the Clone Army be a factor of 100 to 1, as they would just standing there like idiots, while getting the shit blasted out of them

Even the 'wisest' Battle Droids had to rely on their programming to complete their missions

Also, the Droids were not self-replicating - droids building new droids - but were still manufactured by the Geonsians

At least that's how *I* remember it - I could be wrong

Quote Reply