Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Supercat
Quote | Reply
cat jumps from fifth floor building on fire, licks self, and walks away. Am hoping for memes.

Quote Reply
Re: Supercat [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a stray that lives in my carport, or better yet, on my carport. No idea how he gets up there but when you ring the dinner bell it’s one small step and he’s flying.

I know it’s 5 v1, but cats are like rubber.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Five floors is high but I'm not surprised. When I was a kid, we saw my friend's cat jump of the garage roof with no problem, so we took him up to his apartment and threw him out the window, again he was fine! Next we took him up to the roof. It was a 3 story building so the roof would be the 4th floor. Again, the cat landed on all fours and ran away.

Another cool thing with cats; if you hold one by it's feet with all four feet facing up and drop him, you can get really close to the ground and let go, and it will flip over and land on all fours!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Supercat [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Five floors is high but I'm not surprised. When I was a kid, we saw my friend's cat jump of the garage roof with no problem, so we took him up to his apartment and threw him out the window, again he was fine! Next we took him up to the roof. It was a 3 story building so the roof would be the 4th floor. Again, the cat landed on all fours and ran away.

Another cool thing with cats; if you hold one by it's feet with all four feet facing up and drop him, you can get really close to the ground and let go, and it will flip over and land on all fours!

Congratulations. You've earned a place on the "horrible people" thread.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Supercat [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

:-(.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

Is it horrible if it was done in the name of science? People have been dropping cats for almost 200 years now. Most famously is the study of what a cat does if it falls but never lands.

Quote Reply
Re: Supercat [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's mean to the cat!

"In the name of science" isn't a free pass - think Stanford Prison Experiment, Tuskeege study (sp.), and so on.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

"In the name of science" isn't a free pass - think Stanford Prison Experiment, Tuskeege study (sp.), and so on.

Agreed, but Its far more than just 'mean to the cat'.

Its f*cking sick.

And kids doing things like this to animals is a clear indicator of future sociopathy.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Supercat [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well. this thread took an unfortunate turn

Quote Reply
Re: Supercat [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

Agreed, but Its far more than just 'mean to the cat'.

Its f*cking sick.

And kids doing things like this to animals is a clear indicator of future sociopathy

Oh baloney, I didn't grow up to start murdering grandmothers. I don't know about my friend who owned the cat. I haven't seen him for almost 60 years so maybe he became a mass murderer. And the last time I saw the cat, he was sitting on the back stairs eating a can of cat food that my friend gave him.

What it shows is that kids do some dumb things and the cats have an uncanny ability to land on all four feet and walk away unharmed.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A squirrel essentially has such a low terminal velocity that it can never die from a fall, no matter how high. It turns out that squirrels reach terminal velocity within 3s of a fall due to low mass and high surface area.

I wonder if something similar is at play with cats?

https://medium.com/...t-falls-bd2dfb44e231

ETA: it turns out there is! Though cats aren't quite so fluffy as squirrels.

https://www.google.com/...ise-fall-physics/amp
Last edited by: timbasile: May 15, 21 16:57
Quote Reply
Re: Supercat [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
A squirrel essentially has such a low terminal velocity that it can never die from a fall, no matter how high. It turns out that squirrels reach terminal velocity within 3s of a fall due to low mass and high surface area.

Hmm. This is interesting and one that I've had too many beers tonight to really read up on.

However, a good friend of mine has told me he watched a squirrel fall out of a tree one day. I wasn't there, and I obviously cannot verify that, but I take him at his word.

I am curious to red the science of it when I'm sober...
Quote Reply
Re: Supercat [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Holding a cat by its four feet and dropping it though... still seems pretty mean

Quote Reply