Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Drops vs bull horns
Quote | Reply
Without giving away my embarrassing times this year due to laziness and Covid fat. I noticed that yesterday I hit a faster time than I have on my road bike all year (yay). Spent a lot of time down in the drops going pretty hard. Now I looked back and the handful of tt rides I’ve had (maybe 3 at most?) have all been faster even if only by 20 seconds over 18 miles with traffic and all that BS. And at least one of those a beer belly and early season lack of handling I almost completely avoided aero bars.

Question is, and more out of curiosity. Is a tt bike on the bull horns faster than a road on the drops.

I’m aware pre Lemond tt bikes were just bull horns but they did a lot of goofy stuff back then.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Drops vs bull horns [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would guess that they would be about the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Drops vs bull horns [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I would guess that they would be about the same.[/quote
Yeah they look about the same angle looking at my two bikes now. It would be interesting to see though if anyone as power or wind tunnel data.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Drops vs bull horns [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bullhorns on my tri bike are near the same position as the hoods on my road bike. The drops are 120mm lower.

I did a comparison of two different positions on my track bike. On average, over 5 miles, the difference between the drops and approx where the hoods would be while going about 23mph, is about 10 seconds or ~.3 mph faster.

So for me, drops are faster than hoods, or horns. Aerobars are much faster than both by a little less than 2mph.
Quote Reply