Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Zealand Thoughts/Comments Welcome
Quote | Reply
I asked a friend about New Zealand as a place to buy some land for future retirement. Here is what he said:

Quote:

New Zealand is beautiful, I loved it on the North Island. It would be
complicated for you to live there however, and the women are butt-ugly over
there as well. They have a formula they use for issuing visas to foreigners
who want to live there. You get points for how much money you invest and
for having certain skills they need over there (mostly tradesman/craftsman).
Unfortunately you get negative points for every year over thirty you are,
so I remember thinking that I was going to have to keep working as a
carpenter and make a sizeable investment to just be close to the cutoff. As
far as property values go, they have really gone up quite a bit in recent
years, and after spending a month there studying it (about a year ago), I
felt prices were starting to peak. I did end up buying a mooring in the
Manganui Harbor, that I think was a good investment. Buy a boat and you can
use it and live in Manganui.
Any Comments?
Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand Thoughts/Comments Welcome [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monk,

I’m actually moving there in sept./Oct. around the raglan or Hamilton area, and have been thinking/planning this for at least a year, really can’t wait. From the people I have talked too including; NZ natives, people who moved there, people who have just visited, and a few books on the country, this is what I’ve learned so far.

The landscape really is as amazing as you have heard (both islands), think LOTR x 10. Mt. Cook to ocean in only 25 miles in a country the size of Japan. Everything from skiing to surfing to cave exploring to golf. Something like 33% of the country is either Natl. forest or protected area, amazing. It’s like an outdoor adventure mecca with. There really is just too much to say about the landscape and countryside.

The people seem to be overly friendly (in a good way) and willing to help others. One of the first things I hear form people who have visited, for whatever reason, is how great the people are.

The visa thing is and can be confusing as all hell. I talked to quite a bunch of people on this and really the best way to go is through a corporate service like http://www.malcolmpacific.co.nz/company.html

Sort of like going to an accountant for your taxes, you really don’t want to screw that up and as professionals they know what they are doing and will be the best ones to advise you on what exactly you need (there are a few different visa’s).

As for real-estate, there seems to be expensive and cheap places (like in every area), you just have to find them depending on city vs. country vs. Oceanside. Remote areas can be had pretty cheap, but there remote, and have to deal with that.

Probably the best single book I have found on the country for all around knowledge is http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0789497212/qid=1142544317/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-3754651-9597514?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

There are a few kiwis on here, fulla and kiwipat that should chime in here with more details. If you have any other questions I’ll be happy to share any other info I have acquired.

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monk,

My parents emmigrated to NZ (Christchurch) about 2 years ago and I'm here for a month right now. PM me any queestions you may have about te South island and I'll do my best. Previous response has lots of great info but I offer you this story re visas:

Family friend had made a fortune in finance and wantted to retire tto NZ aged about 45. He didn't want to invest his money in a NZ company, certainly didn't want to work and generally failed to meet any of the criteria necessary to get a visa. His solution which I still admire today was to set up an organic walnut farm. Bear with me.

This involved buying his dream slice of land annd constructing his ultimate retirement home with views of the sea the works. He then spent two months plantting walnut trees by which point he'd sunk enough capital to get a visa. The genius part?

His first harvest, i.e. the next time he'll have tto put down his wine glass and get out of his chair, will be in approximatelly 2030.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not butt-ugly!

:)
Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand Thoughts/Comments Welcome [Chonnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm not butt-ugly!
So YOU'RE the one!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great great great great country! Love it!
Would I live there? sure! But then I can only live at one place at a time...
But having lost a close relative not so long ago, with 3 parents left between my wife and me, makes me think twice about such a move...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only downside i noted about the culture in chch is that despite being a uni town it was from what i could see a bit anti-intellectual and rather nonplussed about world affairs. People seemed very social but in a lets-go-get-pie-and-chips-and-watch-cricket kind of way. Not too many people interested in talking about Borges or post-modernism or the merits of debt-relief for 3d world countries. Then again I was in a bit of a triathlon bubble during my stay, and in any event such a world-view (or lack thereof) is kind of understandable seeing as NZ is a tiny island tucked away at the end of the world. But after 6 months I did start to get the feeling that I was living on a tiny island tucked away at the end of the world.

Also, no offense but I did find it to be true, as a general matter, about the women. (Based on the well respected "number of head turners per second while walking down main street on a sunny spring afernoon" test.)
Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand Thoughts/Comments Welcome [Chonnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chonnie is not butt ugly. id shag her.

john. you mixing wrong circles.
Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand Thoughts/Comments Welcome [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
also as far as women go. ihave heard similar stuff. but anything has gotta be better than the plastic fantastics the good ole usa seems to produce en masse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Monk,

please don't move to New Zealand, it is a horrible place and you wouldn't like it. The women are ugly and the men are all sheepshaggers. The weather is crap, it rains all the time, the landscape is a myth and it's expensive too. Please tell all your friends this. Tell everyone you know.

Perhaps then the number of people who try to move there will drop like a rock. That way, when my turn comes they might be so desperate for people they'll actually let me in. Last week I got 3 job offers while I was there. Unfortunately I can't do anything about it right now, but oh my god I cried when I left. It is the most amazing place and each time I visit I find it harder to leave.

Perhaps I'll see you down there one day.

PS. It's not true about the women, at least not the ones I saw. They're not conventionally plastically, stick insect pretty, but they're beautiful in a natural, outdoorsy fit and healthy way. Think tri-chick healthy. They give me the horn anyway and I've met my fair share.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you looked at Costa Rica?
Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand Thoughts/Comments Welcome [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Costa Rica--

You live like a prisoner in your own home. No snow and beach within 25 miles. And no butt-ugly women. Prostitution is legal--that's a plus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that snow may be a problem it is a requirement for you. But I strongly disagree about the 25 miles from beach, since properties on the Pacific can be bought for 30% to 50% of the cost in the US. You can own your property, unlike Mexico, and they have friendly immigration policies.

Of course, the lack of butt-ugly women can be a deal breaker.
Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand Thoughts/Comments Welcome [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been to CR twice. What is your response to "prisoner in your own home"? Bars and fences, etc.? Problem due to huge class differences--wealthy/poor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine bought property on the coast last year for investment/retirement and goes there very often. He did mention that there is higher incidence of petty theft, but that does not mean that he is a prisoner in his own home. It is far from that. No bars or fences at his place. It probably depends on the area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Few thoughts from me:

What i like about NZ:

- My sister is there :-) , remote feeling as though you in a nation that is detached from the rest of the world, civilised and traditional society with low crime rates, strong work life balance culture, strong ethnic mix, sailing after work if you live in Auckland..

What i liked less / or missed:

- Less economic development than i was expecting, if you like big cities you might miss the city buzz, some of the scenary in the North Island is not really that special if i'm being honest.

I would certainly live in NZ + have not seen the South Island which everyone says is the best bit.
Quote Reply