Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Upper tibia/below knee strange pain!
Quote | Reply
Hi all, thought I’d see if anyone could hazard a guess at my new pain which seems to be in a strange location! No access to a physio for a while so just wanted some self management tips and advice.

I seemed to ‘tweak’ my shin a couple of weeks ago on a seated hamstring curl, I thought I may have just been in a funny position and the pad was digging in an awkward place etc but ever since I’ve had varying degrees of pain and discomfort with it. I’m only running x2 a week around 40 minutes but predominantly cycle and swim most days.
I’ve run and cycled without pain on some days however on other days it’s been so sore to even walk on it. Cycling seemed to flare it up more?
Very tender to touch- I was dreading some kind of stress fracture etc but no sure how likely that is with the location and how little I’m running

I’ve attached a photo to the exact place it hurts, also hurts going up and down the stairs and in the mornings

Last edited by: Dynamichipgirl: May 6, 21 3:31
Quote Reply
Re: Upper tibia/below knee strange pain! [Dynamichipgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t see an image attached so I’m purely taking a guess here. If the pain is on the medial (inside) part of your upper tibia/below knee then you always have to consider pes anserine bursitis as the cause of the pain. It can be associated with tight hamstrings, so with you doing an exercise involving hamstrings, and then noticing this pain, it’s something to consider. If you see a sports med doc (or physio), and the suspected area of your pain that you point to is the location of the pes anserine bursa, they can diagnosis it right away.

I’ve had pes anserine bursitis before and it is amazing how much it can hurt. I tried stretching and massage to that area, as well as anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS), but they did not help. Finally had to have a little steroid injected into that area and it cleared right up.
Quote Reply
Re: Upper tibia/below knee strange pain! [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go into Lorimer Moseley and NOI GROUP approach.... if there is no damage there should not be pain...check if there is damage first.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Upper tibia/below knee strange pain! [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi , thanks for the reply!
Just realised the photo didn’t download for some reason..but yes it’s inside the knee/shin. I can feel the little pes anserine ‘bump’? And the pain is in that area, slightly more to the side of it. I’m not sure if I’m pressing on bone or tendon but could it cause a general radiating tenderness?

So, hamstring stretches could work? Can you foam roll on that area or leave it while it’s irritated?
Would like to avoid an injection if possible...:-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s such a bony area, it would be difficult to foam roll. I’d start with self massage to the area, and NSAIDS. Foam roll your hamstrings, if they are not injured. I would be careful about doing static stretches as this can cause issues as well. Do dynamic stretching, or stretch after you’ve done something to warm up the muscles. If none of this helps, definitely get confirmation from a doc before considering anything else (and to make sure the diagnosis is correct)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a specific remedy, but try googling "thereadystate" and your pain area (shins, etc.) It should give you a bevy of youtube video options on how to self treat a lot of injuries. Not a cure all, but trying looking for some their different mobilizations to see if something might work- the results I get from them are better than what i get from the PT that I normally see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to be seen and assessed properly. Sorry.
There are numerous things it could be but the extreme tenderness to touch and the severe pain you are getting with exercise are potential red flags. It could have others have mentioned be a simple bursitis type issue, but you can get stress fractures in that area (case in point is me).
From memory you have a hip fracture similar to mine as well??
It is nasty enough that it is interfering with your training etc at the moment so you really need to be seen ASAP. Either a physio or a good sports doc ASAP. Don't be afraid to get an MRI pronto....
Quote Reply
Re: Upper tibia/below knee strange pain! [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was your tibial stress fracture high up? Or the mid portion?

I don’t have the spare £££ for an MRI ..What was your experience with the fracture? Was it a gradual pain or acute? What was the treatment like?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dynamichipgirl wrote:
Was your tibial stress fracture high up? Or the mid portion?

I don’t have the spare £££ for an MRI ..What was your experience with the fracture? Was it a gradual pain or acute? What was the treatment like?

This tibial stress fracture is high up, only a few cms below the knee. If you PM me we can chat via email and I can show you my scans.

My onset was really acute on chronic, in that did a 70.3, qualified for worlds, was in a 4 week recovery period, leg just did not feel right underneath me on runs but was ok and not really painful. Then it just went pretty suddenly on a run. Too painful to keep going. Did not respond to simple pain killers. Worked for a week with it. Knew it was not good, could feel it so organized my own mri urgently.
Quote Reply
Re: Upper tibia/below knee strange pain! [Schlomo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that! Looks really helpful. I’ll make sure to remember that when I get my next ache and pain...!
Quote Reply