Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Di2 S2(synchro shift) Shift Order
Quote | Reply
Fairly new to Di2.
Using S2 (synchro shift) mode I would prefer the rear cassette advance to shift before the front chain ring does. Having the front drop from big ring to small ring before advancing the rear cassette is very jarring since I instantly spin out. Is there a way to change this?

Maybe I've been riding wrong all these years with mechanical shifting? I generally shift the rear cassette one or two before dropping the front chain ring from big to small. This keeps my momentum going and I don't instantly spin out.

Glad I have the 2-button shifters as I'm going back to manual mode for now.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 S2(synchro shift) Shift Order [randyp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, Di2 controls everything about the shift sequencing. The only thing you can control is the number of RD compensation shifts.

One thing that helps a lot is a Wireless Unit that you have connected to your head unit. When the next shift will cause a FD/RD shift, the HU can beep to alert you. With this, I rarely get a negative spinout with a FD shift.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 S2(synchro shift) Shift Order [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't get the beeping on my Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt, so it's either a Garmin thing.. or I've missed a setting somewhere ;)

BetterShifting.com - Di2 help and guides| BetterShifting Instagram | Terry's Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 S2(synchro shift) Shift Order [Di2Terry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Di2Terry wrote:
I don't get the beeping on my Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt, so it's either a Garmin thing.
That is a bummer. I assumed all head units did it. It is one of the key features that makes full synchro really sing.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 S2(synchro shift) Shift Order [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
No, Di2 controls everything about the shift sequencing. The only thing you can control is the number of RD compensation shifts.

One thing that helps a lot is a Wireless Unit that you have connected to your head unit. When the next shift will cause a FD/RD shift, the HU can beep to alert you. With this, I rarely get a negative spinout with a FD shift.

Yup, I get the beep on my Garmin head unit (only for FD) but not sure how that helps on a climb. I certainly ease up but then lose all momentum. Heaven forbid I'm out of saddle climbing and shift. Also, on several occasions I forget it's going to drop the front chain ring because the beep occurred 5+ minutes prior.
IDK, maybe I'm not seeing the light and doing something wrong. Seems like a safety issue to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried changing the shift points and/or shift speed around? It took me a bit of fiddling with both to get the front shift to feel the way I liked it...

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
randyp wrote:
Also, on several occasions I forget it's going to drop the front chain ring because the beep occurred 5+ minutes prior….Seems like a safety issue to me.
I go about 15 seconds on average between shifts. Going anything remotely close to 5 minutes never happens to me.

Big ballpark, if you think synchro shift is a safety issue, you are doing it wrong.

P.S. I would never use synchro on a road bike. But I absolutely love it on my TT bike. Best thing ever.
Quote Reply