Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice on selling bike
Quote | Reply
Hi, need advice on selling my TT. Gutted to have to sell but I don't use it much anymore. Which sites do you recommend? Tried Pinkbike and a few facebook cycling pages.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on selling bike [Nat0109] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nat0109 wrote:
Hi, need advice on selling my TT. Gutted to have to sell but I don't use it much anymore. Which sites do you recommend? Tried Pinkbike and a few facebook cycling pages.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Classifieds_F2/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best place to sell the bike really depends on the price tag, size and where you live.

Recently I have been doing transaction via facebook marketplace including selling two bikes but I don't think I would have much luck selling my TT bike this way. The bikes I sold were entry level and 54/56cm road frames that hit dead centre of the desirable market and as I live in moderately sized city its was easy to attract attention and sell. The local market for TT bikes however is very limited and the sale price of my TT bike would further restrict the market. If you have a very large or very small frame the problem would be even worse.

I immediately followed selling the two bikes by buying another one and I did it from ebay. Ebay has a lot more advantages for the buyer than the seller but it remains the effectively way to sell higher end and niche items. Personally I still prefer cash-in-hand collection for bikes on ebay as you can easily get screwed doing things any other way so ebay is just doing the advertising for you. Ebay does not charge you to list items and its about you as a seller setting the starting price at a level which covers your risk.

When it has come to very high end items where shipping/transit can't be avoided I have used the classified section of Slowtwitch. The only downside of the ST classifieds is that its a small market so it heavily favours desirable items. Lots of items just don't sell and depending on where you live you may not attract the attention of any realistic buyers on ST. For example I have never even tried to sell anything from the UK because the items just wouldn't sell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nat0109 wrote:

What about using the Pros Closet website?

Dan seems to have had good luck and praises them pretty highly…
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on selling bike [Kickr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much does the Pro's Closet make when they buy a used bike and then sell it to someone else?

How much would it cost to ship the bike to them?
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: May 1, 21 8:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had great success selling several bikes and buying a one, all through FB Marketplace.

Meet neutral locale, inspect and test ride, everybody happy. No shipping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nat0109 wrote:

If you price it right, you'll have it sold in a few hours on FB marketplace, and most likely not have to hassle with shipping it. There's usually a cycling classifieds group for your local area, then other groups like triathlon bikes/equipment for sale.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on selling bike [Kickr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What about using the Pros Closet website?

Pro's Closet is a great way to quickly and hassle free way to sell your bike .... for 50 to 60 cents on the dollar. There's nothing wrong with it but know that the trade off for not having to deal with listing your bike, filtering through interested buyers, collecting your money and potentially packing and shipping your bike, you will get significantly less money. It's the CarMax of the bike world.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on selling bike [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They probably sell it for 2-2.5x what they pay you.

They also cover shipping. I sold them a few bikes and wheels back in the fall that were easy flips. They were paying top dollar back then, not sure about now.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you located? I agree with the poster above about Facebook being worth a try. Tri ‘n Sell It seems pretty reasonable, and there are many local/ state/ regional groups.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sold 3 bikes using Craigslist, two on Ebay. Only shipped one, which was pain!!
Total sales ~$12K, which paid for my P5X

Couple of notes:

1. You are selling the dream. Therefore pictures, background and the look make all the difference.
2. Be precise as possible on fit and I made sure they were OK
3. A new retail vs your sell $ comparo is good to do. (the dream and a deal :)
4. Set 'em on their way

Just had to be patient. SOLD SOLD SOLD....

Here's my ebay ad, that bike is sold as well. We keep this listing going just for channel hits btw:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/272825913944?hash=item3f85b11258:g:T3gAAOSwTSVZpg1H

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Last edited by: SharkFM: May 1, 21 14:50
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on selling bike [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Pros Closet just based in US?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 In the past couple of years I've sold 4 higher end bikes, 3 on FB marketplace and accepted the Pros Closet offer offer on one bike that was actually a little more than I was asking on FB and not getting any interest. I had submitted all 4 to the PC and they seem to be all over the place in regards to pricing so it can be a little hit and miss.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on selling bike [D.O.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tried selling my Felt IA1 on here but it won't let me yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah you won't be able to list on here for a bit since you are a new account. You have to have been registered for 14 days + make 5 posts.

Generally for selling bikes its often easiest to do so locally so you don't have to deal with shipping. Although if you are US-based, listing on here will have decent chance someone is nearby. Try Facebook Marketplace and craigslist too.
Quote Reply