Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman 70.3 offering duathlon option in EMEA
Quote | Reply
Saw this this morning:
https://triathlonmagazine.ca/...im-at-races-in-2021/

I would love to have this as a permanent option. I don't enjoy swimming, never have, but I love to run and ride.

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 offering duathlon option in EMEA [OtterJohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be massive if IM could offer participants a race morning option of switching to a duathlon, when swim conditions are tough. The hair trigger swim cancellations because they worry about the two hour swimmer’s ability to handle the conditions is one of my biggest pet peeves in the sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ain't a du a run/ bike / run? Oughta make these folks at least run a 5k beforehand. :).

Cue the "pussification of triathlon" posts in 3, 2, 1....
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 offering duathlon option in EMEA [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Ain't a du a run/ bike / run? Oughta make these folks at least run a 5k beforehand. :)

I've done duathlon both ways, bike > run and run > bike > run. USAT Duathlon National Championships were run > bike > run format, but most of my local dus are bike > run. I prefer the latter, but I'm happy doing either.

- John
Last edited by: OtterJohn: Apr 27, 21 14:04
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 offering duathlon option in EMEA [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to see it as an option for any IM event, half or full. Some of us just don't like to swim, or we're just terrified of it (the latter is me, and I'm ok with that). But I love duathlon...that's what got me into the sport in 2011 in the first place.

- John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw this article. I wonder when the people not swimming will start? Same time as the swim? After the swim is over?

Totally agree that I hope they employ this in rougher swim conditions in an effort to keep the swim on rather than just cancel it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 offering duathlon option in EMEA [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps a better solution would be to get rid of the sea swim bias in IM’s site selection. Lakes and rivers are fine, and much less likely to create hazards in rough weather. I like duathlons, but they’re a sport in their own right, not a substitute for tri.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 offering duathlon option in EMEA [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps a better solution would be to get rid of the sea swim bias in IM’s site selection. Lakes and rivers are fine, and much less likely to create hazards in rough weather
---

I do mostly local events, all of them inland and in fresh water. There has been a recent trend to cancel the swims based on semi-rough water. Worse, in my opinion, is that it's not the RD's that are prone to cancel the swim. Several times, it's been the park director (or like position) that simply doesn't want the potential for negative publicity. I'd love for triathletes to be able to own that risk and make the decision for themselves but that's unlikely to happen.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 offering duathlon option in EMEA [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:
I saw this article. I wonder when the people not swimming will start? Same time as the swim? After the swim is over?

Totally agree that I hope they employ this in rougher swim conditions in an effort to keep the swim on rather than just cancel it.

In races I've done with this option (non-Ironman), they've started the rolling duathlon 30 minutes after the start of the swim for the half distance, and 1:20 after the start of the swim for the full distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But can people get an M Dot tattoo if they finish the duathlon, and how will triathletes feel about that?

pink, maybe

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 offering duathlon option in EMEA [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
Perhaps a better solution would be to get rid of the sea swim bias in IM’s site selection. Lakes and rivers are fine, and much less likely to create hazards in rough weather. I like duathlons, but they’re a sport in their own right, not a substitute for tri.

I agree, definitely not a substitute for tri. I would love the opportunity to run and ride on the same courses though, alongside (not against, as it'd be a separate category) the same athletes...just without the drowning part. ;)

- John
Last edited by: OtterJohn: Apr 28, 21 9:29
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 offering duathlon option in EMEA [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FF Boots wrote:
But can people get an M Dot tattoo if they finish the duathlon, and how will triathletes feel about that?

pink, maybe

Pink or not...for myself, I wouldn't get one. The M-Dot signifies those who have completed the tri...that's where it started, that's where it should stay. :)

- John
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 offering duathlon option in EMEA [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Perhaps a better solution would be to get rid of the sea swim bias in IM’s site selection. Lakes and rivers are fine, and much less likely to create hazards in rough weather
---

I do mostly local events, all of them inland and in fresh water. There has been a recent trend to cancel the swims based on semi-rough water. Worse, in my opinion, is that it's not the RD's that are prone to cancel the swim. Several times, it's been the park director (or like position) that simply doesn't want the potential for negative publicity. I'd love for triathletes to be able to own that risk and make the decision for themselves but that's unlikely to happen.

All the local races I've done, the athlete has the choice...the RDs specifically say "if you're just not feeling it today, let us know and we'll switch you". I've always appreciated that option (even though I don't swim).

- John
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 offering duathlon option in EMEA [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course the right thing would be for people entering triathlons actually training properly for the 1st leg of the triathlon and the conditions they could well face.
I don't see the run being chopped down or off just because I'm lazy and overweight and can't be arsed to train properly for the run.

Imagine if the English Channel Swimming Association did this at the hint of some chop or a couple degrees below ideal temps.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 offering duathlon option in EMEA [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Of course the right thing would be for people entering triathlons actually training properly for the 1st leg of the triathlon and the conditions they could well face.
I don't see the run being chopped down or off just because I'm lazy and overweight and can't be arsed to train properly for the run.

Imagine if the English Channel Swimming Association did this at the hint of some chop or a couple degrees below ideal temps.

Swimming pools have been closed here for more than 14 months. Everyone in these races were forcibly transferred from last year. We are in our 3rd confinement and aren’t allowed out except for food shopping and doctor etc. If we do go out you can’t go more than 1km from home.

Where would you like me to train? In the bath?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 offering duathlon option in EMEA [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not really attracted to duathlons, but if participants require this option, Ironman is smart enough to offer it. Good on them. If this experiment proves successful and to maximise revenue in the future, they will probably schedule duathlons alongside existing triathlon events. Ironman is just listening to the customer and following the money, fair enough and pretty nice gesture.

What I don't really get is why people require the option. Assuming you haven’t been able to swim for 1+ year, I think about it in different ways:
  • your goal is to be an M dot race finisher. You're afraid you're not going to make the swim at all. Switching to a duathlon is then not the expected accomplishment because you haven't actually completed the race/distance you wanted (how many triathletes are frustrated when the swim gets cancelled or the bike/run course shortened for some reason). So why a duathlon? + you don’t get to show off the M dot tatoo. Does the speaker still say “you’re an Ironman” if you haven’t completed the swim when you cross the finish line?
  • you have a time goal in mind for a specific race/distance. It’s unlikely you’ll achieve your time goal given lack of swim training. How does switching to a duathlon help?
  • you're super competitive chasing AG podiums or Kona:70.3 Worlds slots. you probably haven't required the option

I really enjoy swimming and like the value that swimming brings to triathlon: open water swimming is very technical vs. riding/running which makes it exciting. In France, where I live, most competitive folks have managed to keep swimming lately, even with pools officially closed (medical exemptions, pretending to be pros, etc.).

Long live triathlon!

As for the option to decide not to swim on race morning, I am not sure how this is practically feasible in races with large fields...?

It doesn't get easier, you just get slower
https://mymsracesironman.home.blog/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 offering duathlon option in EMEA [Kampinou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me the dilemma is risking an IM swim having not swum for that length of time.

They have my money With no transfer policy having “deferred” from last year.

The choice is not race or use the bike/run as a training day. 2021 is a write off so it looks like the latter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess Im lucky, access to the ocean. Been swimming in most weather since the ice melted. Im happy that people not trained for it, can avoid ow swim, but then it isnt tri.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 offering duathlon option in EMEA [Kampinou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kampinou wrote:
What I don't really get is why people require the option. Assuming you haven’t been able to swim for 1+ year, I think about it in different ways:
  • your goal is to be an M dot race finisher. You're afraid you're not going to make the swim at all. Switching to a duathlon is then not the expected accomplishment because you haven't actually completed the race/distance you wanted (how many triathletes are frustrated when the swim gets cancelled or the bike/run course shortened for some reason). So why a duathlon? + you don’t get to show off the M dot tatoo. Does the speaker still say “you’re an Ironman” if you haven’t completed the swim when you cross the finish line?
  • you have a time goal in mind for a specific race/distance. It’s unlikely you’ll achieve your time goal given lack of swim training. How does switching to a duathlon help?
  • you're super competitive chasing AG podiums or Kona:70.3 Worlds slots. you probably haven't required the option

I really enjoy swimming and like the value that swimming brings to triathlon: open water swimming is very technical vs. riding/running which makes it exciting. In France, where I live, most competitive folks have managed to keep swimming lately, even with pools officially closed (medical exemptions, pretending to be pros, etc.).

Well I can give you my POV since I would consider this option. It has nothing to do with the three thoughts you list.

I've met my two triathlon goals: race Kona and PR a race in 9:45, so now it's much more about just having fun. Why skip the swim? I don't enjoy it. Triathlon was appealing to me because of cycling and running. But every other morning I get in the pool for 45-90 minutes of swimming even though I don't like it half as much as running, cycling, or even any number of other sports (football, badminton, weightlifting, volleyball, etc.). Why? Because it's required in triathlon. I especially wish I had more time for football and weightlifting, and part of the reason I don't is the ~4 hours per week I have to spend on swimming.

I don't completely hate it, but if duathlon was the bigger sport of the two, I probably wouldn't be swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 offering duathlon option in EMEA [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Ain't a du a run/ bike / run? Oughta make these folks at least run a 5k beforehand. :).

Cue the "pussification of triathlon" posts in 3, 2, 1....

Yes. What IM is selling now is an Iron Brick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheTries wrote:
BobAjobb wrote:

Swimming pools have been closed here for more than 14 months. Everyone in these races were forcibly transferred from last year. We are in our 3rd confinement and aren’t allowed out except for food shopping and doctor etc. If we do go out you can’t go more than 1km from home.

Where would you like me to train? In the bath?

Sorry but that is kind of too bad. Optional swim, what next? Opt out of the bike or run? An ebike category? Fins for the swim? Maybe they can do a choose your own adventure registration form where you can opt in and out of various race components or aids.
Quote Reply