Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can I taper with a Mountain Bike?
Quote | Reply
So, here's the situation. I'm racing Coeur d'Alene (Jun 27). However, my family and I are heading to Vail, CO (we live in Virginia Beach) on Jun 4th for a "work from somewhere else" trip for a few weeks before road tripping to Jackson, WY, Big Sky, MT and on to CdA. I'm shipping our Mt. Bikes (mine, wife's and the two boys) via Bike Flights and had planned on flying with my Tri Bike. I have a Bike Box by Alan Aero case, which takes up a ton of room in the car. I also will not have my Wahoo, need to plan around a change in time zone for work and keeping the boys (8 and 6) engaged / getting them to and from adventure camp.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure how realistic it is for me to get a ton of tri specific riding in while in Vail (or the other stops) as our plan was to enjoy a few weeks with the boys and explore Aspen, Steamboat, Maroon Bells etc. on the weekends prior to setting off on our road trip. I can continue to run as normal and swim in the rec center.

I'm wondering if I just ship the Tri Bike direct to CdA and "taper" with the Mt. Bike...I figure a couple times up Vail Pass or up and down the ski access roads would be ok. If I get really desperate I can rent a road bike in Vail. It's not ideal, but will three weeks really make a big difference? For context, I'm not going for a KQ. Solid MOP'er, likely 6hr or so bike split and will just be happy to be racing again.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I taper with a Mountain Bike? [iainyoung8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know you, or anything about you. But I think you are going to have a great race either way. Because the family trip sounds awesome with a nice blend of adventure and logistical challenge, because you have realistic expectations, because you have a training plan, because your priorities are clear. Personally, I would send my tri bike ahead to CdA for simplicity, ride the mountain bike during the mountain bike segment of the trip, focus on getting comfortable again on the tri bike during the last week. Have fun, race well.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I taper with a Mountain Bike? [toddstr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, that's where I'm leaning. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, taper is a chance to let my body recover. Not get more position work

But I’m also super comfortable on my TT bike and have thousands of hours in my legs on the bike.

So yes, it’s probably better to ride on your race bike for the final 3 weeks, but I’d argue it’s better to have more fun w your family and do what’s fun / let your body heal from all the training stress b

But, I see no major harm in riding the Mtn Bike and just relaxing for 2 weeks and then settling back into TT position with a few rides when you get to CdA
Quote Reply
Re: Can I taper with a Mountain Bike? [toddstr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toddstr wrote:
I don't know you, or anything about you. But I think you are going to have a great race either way. Because the family trip sounds awesome with a nice blend of adventure and logistical challenge, because you have realistic expectations, because you have a training plan, because your priorities are clear. Personally, I would send my tri bike ahead to CdA for simplicity, ride the mountain bike during the mountain bike segment of the trip, focus on getting comfortable again on the tri bike during the last week. Have fun, race well.

All of this, plus that high altitude red blood cell stuff!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure you can taper on the MTB. But, try to make sure the crank length and saddle height is the set up the same on the MTB and TT bike. I have 3 bikes, Road, Gravel, and MTB and I have the saddle height set up the same on all bikes so that I get the same pedaling training stimulus from all my workouts that is transferrable across all cycling disciplines.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I taper with a Mountain Bike? [stonerider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stonerider wrote:
Sure you can taper on the MTB. But, try to make sure the crank length and saddle height is the set up the same on the MTB and TT bike. I have 3 bikes, Road, Gravel, and MTB and I have the saddle height set up the same on all bikes so that I get the same pedaling training stimulus from all my workouts that is transferrable across all cycling disciplines.

Good advice, thank you. Seems like a no brainer, but had never thought to do that on my MTB.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes you can.

It matters more that you have a bile to ride, both for building fitness & tapering than which bike you ride.

Mvenneta said it best so I'll put his words here again for all to (re)read: ""it’s probably better to ride on your race bike for the final 3 weeks, but I’d argue it’s better to have more fun w your family and do what’s fun / let your body heal from all the training stress"

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply