Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Solo Psuedo IM Advice
Quote | Reply
I was initially scheduled for doing IMTX in a week, but it got cancelled. Since having the time to train for one again is not a given, I/family decided to go with a semi-supported 'race' around my hometown this weekend. I suppose it's making the best of the options given the time spent getting here. Certainly a bummer, but a known risk when I signed up last year, so I can't be too upset.

For those who have done something similar before, do you have any last minute pointers/recommendations/lessons learned? This will be my first full distance activity.

If anyone feels like doing a bunch of swimming, biking, or running this weekend near Snyder, TX, you are welcome to come join in the fun.

Weather: The forecasted temps just keeping getting lower. The 14-day forecast called for starting in the low 50s and highs of 65ish. Current forecast is starting around 40F with highs in the low 50s and overcast all day. Winds will be strong, but nothing new for here.

Swim: Going to happen in Lake Alan Henry. I'm wishing I had a full sleeve wetsuit now, but it's too late to change so sleeveless it is. While chilly, I'm expecting this will be reasonably tolerable. All my training has been in an outdoor pond so the water temperature will be nothing new, just rough on the air temps.

T1: There is a mile or so from the water's edge to asphalt so I'll have someone drive me to the road and I'll start from there. Given the cold air temps, I leaning towards this being a full outfit change to get dry clothes on. I'm torn between adding a cold gear or hot gear Under Armor to avoid too much heat loss.

Bike: I'll bike back to town and then do three loops around town. This will give me an aid station at about 40 miles and then every 30 miles thereafter. I'll grab calories and fluids each loop.

Run: I have a three loop, out and back course laid out through town. This will take me by a family members house every 1.5-2 miles. I'll be staging fluids and calories at each house. The temps should finally break 50F once I start running so, other than wind, I'm not sure this weather could be much better.
Quote Reply
Re: Solo Psuedo IM Advice [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW there are neoprene sleeves you can buy- I run them with my sleeveless wetsuit for colder water Tris.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like you have a solid plan here. I did something similar last October.

The looped course is critical so you have plenty of options to refuel without wasting a bunch of time. I also like the full outfit changes between legs to maximize comfort. Otherwise, it's just about pacing, hydration, and getting enough calories down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds like you have a good plan, maybe ask if someone has a full suit you can borrow. In T1 take wetsuit off outside the car and while being driven up put all your bike gear on inside the car
Quote Reply
Re: Solo Psuedo IM Advice [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm currently in a sleevess Xterra Vortex that has worked great. I have access to a sleeved Xterra Vector Pro. What are the odds the Vector Pro is free of shoulder problems?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having driven through Snyder more times than I care to count (law school in Lubbock), I'm surprised you can get a 40 mile loop around town.

Other than that sounds like you've got a good plan. Good luck and may the winds not be too crazy for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Solo Psuedo IM Advice [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Having driven through Snyder more times than I care to count (law school in Lubbock), I'm surprised you can get a 40 mile loop around town.

Other than that sounds like you've got a good plan. Good luck and may the winds not be too crazy for you.

From the lake to the aid#1 is 37 miles. After that, it's a loop that heads about 8 miles south of town, west about about 2.5 miles, then back to town from the west. Slightly more elevation that IMTX was going to have (est. 3420')
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LAH is great for swimming. Clear water and great scenery. I’ll probably be riding the gravel/dirt roads in Garza county this weekend northeast of Post. The famous off-the-caprock “Southland” ride or some variant thereof. Enjoy your swim, bike, run! Also be careful if you’re riding along hwy 84.

"The more you suffer, the more it shows you really care.”
Quote Reply
Re: Solo Psuedo IM Advice [BradTTU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No plans to hit Hwy 84. I'm worried enough about the brief stint on 208. I was initially concerned about strong south winds making for a really long day, but I think the NE winds should make for a good time. As best I can tell, I'll only have 27 miles straight into the wind.

Quote Reply
Re: Solo Psuedo IM Advice [BradTTU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BradTTU wrote:
LAH is great for swimming. Clear water and great scenery. I’ll probably be riding the gravel/dirt roads in Garza county this weekend northeast of Post. The famous off-the-caprock “Southland” ride or some variant thereof. Enjoy your swim, bike, run! Also be careful if you’re riding along hwy 84.

I've noticed on the Strava heatmap that there are a number of rides outside of Post. Where is the Southland one? Have you done any other gravel or mountain bike rounds in Garza County?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This looks like a solid route and plan.

I have only one suggestion based on what I've seen with solo challenges in the past year. In a live race the finish line and the crowd helps to motivate us to not quit. Without it - it's a tremendous temptation. So...my suggestion is to plan as much as you can things to prevent you from stopping as you get close to the finish line. Tell your friends on the route not to let you stop. Have them plan to meet you at the finish to celebrate. That kind of thing.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Southland starts at Southland High School and heads straight east then loops either clockwise or counterclockwise with a few options/variations depending on wind, water crossing, rattlesnakes, etc. The original loop is like a lollipop but the north fork double mountain fork Brazos river has been pretty high and impassable. Google “caprock gravel grind” and I think you’ll see a race course map. Message me if you want to be added to the informal text group for this ride. Otherwise a 50k group road ride starts at 6pm every Tuesday/Thursday from the Chisum truckstop on the Slaton highway just outside of Loop 289. If you don’t know already, there is also an 11mile Third Thursday TT that starts at the bottom of horseshoe bend canyon outside Slaton. It covers some of the old BSLT 70.3 course.

"The more you suffer, the more it shows you really care.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought I would follow up with how the event went. Here is a portion I what I sent into the paper.

Extra notes for ST:
- I got some video of my swim. I desperately need to improve a bunch of things there.
- I realized halfway through the swim I didn't know if my watch (920XT) was showing yards or meters. Thankfully, pausing the swim showed units on the summary. I had to double back for a bit to get the right distance.
- About 9 miles into the run, I felt like the muscles/tendons behind my knees were shot. It didn't prevent me running at about 10:30/mi, but anything over that wasn't going to happen. It was frustrating because it limited my HR to about 10-15 bpm below what I was targeting and all my other muscle groups (hamstring, quad, calfs) felt great.
- The mix of heavy overcast and tinted visor can really mess with your brain. Despite being 10 in the morning, my brain was doing it's best to convince me it was 8:30 at night.
- A pack of dinosaurs make for a great motivator. Not sure what the official IM rules would say about those....
- My training was based on Jim Vance's 16 week Finisher Plan on Today's Plan. Despite, me being a 100km or so short on my swimming, I finished, so I would have to call the plan a success.

I successfully completed the race in 12 hrs and 30 minutes.

Swim:
With temps in the low 40s, I entered the water right as the sun rose at 7:12. To combat the cool water temperatures, I wore a full body wetsuit. Despite this, but the time I climbed out of the water, my feet and ankles were nearly numb and the pins and needles didn't go away until about two hours into the bike leg. The water was relatively calm and the swim went smoothly. My brother David stayed nearby in a kayak. This was done both to provide aid if needed but to also ensure visibility in case any boats came close. My final time to complete the 4,224 yard swim was 1:20:28.

Bike:
With the winds out of the north, my ride back to town went quickly. Candy ****** accompanied me for the first 40 miles (she now appreciates the value of an aero bike...). The remaining 72 miles were ridden solo on the loop south of town. By the last lap, the time and overcast skies were taking their toll and it was become more and more difficult to focus on my riding. I'm not sure I could have safely completed another loop. I was very thankful to make it to the run leg. I finished the bike ride in 5:49:30 with an average speed of 19.4 mph.

Run:
The weather could not have been better on the run. The temperatures where in the 50s and the sky was overcast. This made it very unlikely I would have any issues with hydration. Throughout the run, I had numerous people come and run along with me with David and Anthony running slightly less than half of the 26.2 miles. Along with that, various family members jumped from aid station to aid station to encourage me as I went. With 2.5 miles to go, I even had a pack of dinosaurs chase me for a while. It was a wonderful encouragement after 12 hours on the move. At the finish line a large group had gathered to cheer me through the ribbon. I completed the bike leg in 4:38:04 with an average pace of 10:34/mi.

All this is without a doubt the longest race I've ever completed. I'm not sure if I'll get to do this kind of distance again. I'm so thankful to have had the chance. With this race over, the next race on the schedule will be the Beat the Street bike ride on May 8th in Sweetwater. After that, the focus will turn towards Ironman 70.3 Lubbock at the end of June.

Quote Reply