Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DIY training camp, summertime Northeast
Quote | Reply
Folks, trying to mine the collective hive wisdom out there. I am trying to organize a small (~6 person) training camp about 6 weeks out from our A-race. Just a long weekend thurs-mon kind of thing. Obviously would like a location that's got great training for all three disciplines, and it would be really nice to have access to a good open water swim location. Lake Placid is probably first on the list, but was wondering if there is anywhere else people would recommend. Openwater swimming, easy access to quiet roads (flat and hilly options a plus), and maybe even some soft running surface options to hit the trifecta. Would like to keep it driveable from the NYC area since it's only a few days. Not adverse to lake placid, so if that's the best option, then we will probably go that direction. It's just tough to find easy access to openwater swimming locations. Any and all help is appreciated.

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
http://goteamnltri.com/
Quote Reply
Re: DIY training camp, summertime Northeast [gregkeller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The lakes region of NH is a comparable drive. Probably not any better than LP though, just a little different . . . larger lakes, smaller mountains, nicer drivers. The best lakes for OWS are Squam (Holderness or Sandwich) and Newfound (Bristol). Sunnappee region is probably good too and a little closer, but I don't know much about it. Waterville Valley would be another convenient option, but the lake is more like a pond . . . real ows would be a drive to Mirror Lake in Woodstock, but they do have a pool there.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See if you can get a rental at Roxbury Run Village in Denver NY. It is the Western Catskills near Platekill Ski Mountain. I used to have a condo there - there is an awesome outdoor 25m pool for swimming and the roads are great for cycling. Wide shoulder, very little traffic, really hard hills or long flats with pretty farm views. If you don't want to rent a condo, you can stay at the Roxbury Hotel in Roxbury and ride the same spectacular quiet roads and go swim at the Catskills Rec Center about 8 miles down the road. There is also a rail trail in town that is about 25 miles long for great soft surface running. About 2.5 hour drive from NYC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mount Desert Island, Maine

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: DIY training camp, summertime Northeast [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Mount Desert Island, Maine

Ding, ding!!!!!

I was going to recommend MDI as well. Echo Lake is a great spot for swimming. The park loop road is awesome, especially in the early morning, for riding. Running is pretty good as well - lots of options for trails and pretty desolate roads.

The downside is that it can get pretty crowded around mid morning, but I'm always out the door around 4 AM when up there in the summer - it's actually getting light at that point.

Of course, MDI is quite a hike from NY.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's going to be hard to beat Lake Placid. Mirror lake is awesome and there will be other triathletes swimming there. The bike and run courses will also have plenty of triathletes training there on the weekend. In 2017 during a training weekend there, I had a brake issue on the bike that left me stranded at the top of the hill before the long descent. I must have watched at least 50 triathletes bike by me (2 did stop and ask if I was OK while my husband hitchhiked back to our hotel). And there are plenty of restaurants and fun things to do if you did have a family with you. Also there is a great bike shop that had my brakes fixed that afternoon, so I could do my long bike ride on Sunday.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two years ago I rented a VRBO house on the east shore of Lake George. I swam every morning in the lake and then had plenty of options for biking, road running, and trail running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done Lake Placid too many times to count on 10 sets of hands going back in 1989 and done Mount Washington area several times. I prefer Lake Placid. Lots of great riding OFF the Ironman course too.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY training camp, summertime Northeast [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
I think it's going to be hard to beat Lake Placid. Mirror lake is awesome and there will be other triathletes swimming there. The bike and run courses will also have plenty of triathletes training there on the weekend. In 2017 during a training weekend there, I had a brake issue on the bike that left me stranded at the top of the hill before the long descent. I must have watched at least 50 triathletes bike by me (2 did stop and ask if I was OK while my husband hitchhiked back to our hotel). And there are plenty of restaurants and fun things to do if you did have a family with you. Also there is a great bike shop that had my brakes fixed that afternoon, so I could do my long bike ride on Sunday.

Not to many places like Lake Placid for a DIY Camp that I can think of.

You can stay anywhere from a hole-in-a-wall motel all the up to a 5* resort, eat anywhere from Chinese take-out to a top rated restaurant all within feet of Mirror Lake, where you can OWS and have miles upon miles upon miles of endless roads to cycle and run, without the need to drive anywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY training camp, summertime Northeast [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, so seems like Placid would be the place to be. Thanks for the help folks.

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
http://goteamnltri.com/
Quote Reply
Re: DIY training camp, summertime Northeast [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Lots of great riding OFF the Ironman course too.

This. Definitely venture off the IM course, the best riding I did in that area was off the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want something off the beaten path check out Lake Raystown, in Huntingdon, PA there are some amazing roads to cycle both gravel and road (some flat but there are a lot of climbs). Plenty of places to stay, camp etc. OWS is allowed anywhere except beach areas and docks. There is a 17 mile rail trail about 5 miles away in Alexandria, PA for beautiful riverside running (or cycling for that matter).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'd put out the berkshires as an option. i have gone up to tyringham/otis area couple times now with friends and it's great. the riding is beautiful, good roads (pavement quality, shoulders, quiet, scenic), many trails and good roads for running. it's not all hills, either, you can find flatter routes too. if you do want to a big climb, mt greylock is within reach. i'm sure there are many little local swimming spots, we went for a quick dip in what I THINK was hayes pond in otis, and there were multiple other people OWS'ing there as well. i'm sure there are tons more places to swim i just don't know of any first hand.

there are many great towns to stay in as well. also, area is less of a drive from NYC than placid, MDI, places like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake Placid would be my first choice as we used to go up each year 1-2x before IMLP to get a few days of training in. Plenty of good routes off the IM course as Dev noted.

I also agree on Newfound Lake in Bristol NH. Much less crowded than Winnepesaukee, and a good staging area for all three disciplines at Wellington State Park (former site of the Mooseman 1/2IM). Since it was under a two-hour drive for me, I went up there a few times when training for IMWI because the loop around the lake was similar to the rolling terrain on the IMWI course. Great Lake for a swim (it’s cold though!) and good running routes nearby.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply